Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

O'Conor Nancy from Boyle Co. Roscommon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne Jones

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 1997 3:28 pm    Post subject: O'Conor Nancy from Boyle Co. Roscommon Reply with quote

I am looking for the family history for auntie Nancy.

timbre@mail.port.island.net

Joseph Feeley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 1998 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: O'Conor Nancy from Boyle Co. Roscommon Reply with quote

I remember Nancy O'Connor years ago> She lived on Marian Road.
Taught music to private students for many years in the 50s and 60s.
She had lived in India in her younger years and had a strong British colonial accent.
Attended many parties at my parents home where she provided musical accompamiment to various singers or did solo playing.
However I cannot help with other personal details as I no longer live in Boyle.
Joe

feeley@rtc-carlow.ie

Paul Brosnahan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 1998 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: O'Conor Nancy from Boyle Co. Roscommon Reply with quote

: I am looking for the family history for auntie Nancy.

Nancy O'Connor was a first cousin of my mother. As Mr. Feely states she taught music in Boyle. She also taught music at the technical school in Boyle and produced musicals for children. Her father was a major in the British army and was in India for many years. That accounts for Nancy's accent. Her mother was the daughter of a ship captain from New Orleans (USA). According to Nancy (I met her a number of times), her father was a commanding officer at Beggers Bush Barracks in Dublin during the 1916 rising. He retired from the army at that time and lived in the Royal Hotel in Boyle. He is buried in Killelan (?) cemetary at Knockvicar, Boyle. Her brother Arthur was an officer in the British army and, according to Nancy, had some connection with Michael Collins. (He would be taken to be English, since he spoke with a English accent.)
The O'Conors (or O'Connors) were also known as Connor. Most changed the name back to O'Connor. The original Connor (O'Connor) home is almost beside the church at Crossna (Knockvicar, parish of Ardcarne). That would be the house Nancy's father came from.) The family tradition is that the Connors (O'Connors) were decended from the O'Connor Roes and came from near Elphin, after being put off their land. There is probably something to this since there is/was a line of general officers and officers from this family in the British Army, in the days when there were few Irish Catholics generals or high-ranking officers in the British Army. Nancy's grandmother would be a Catherine McGreevy from Bridgecarton, near Ballyfarnon.
Many of the Connors from that house went to Michigan and Buffalo, NY. The McGreevys went to Worcester, Masachusetts.
I don't know much more about that particular side. My grandfather was a Connor and lived at Derryhirk, Knockvicar. My grandmother was a Coen. That family (Coen) was originally from Boyle. There is a Margaret McLoughlin (my aunt) living at Ardcarne (on the Dublin-Sligo road), who is also a first cousin of Nancy O'Connor and knew her very well. She probably has more details. Hope this helps.

Paul Brosnahan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 1998 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: O'Conor Nancy from Boyle Co. Roscommon Reply with quote

: I am looking for the family history for auntie Nancy.

Nancy O'Connor was a first cousin of my mother. As Mr. Feely states she taught music in Boyle. She also taught music at the technical school in Boyle and produced musicals for children. Her father was a major in the British army and was in India for many years. That accounts for Nancy's accent. Her mother was the daughter of a ship captain from New Orleans (USA). According to Nancy (I met her a number of times), her father was a commanding officer at Beggers Bush Barracks in Dublin during the 1916 rising. He retired from the army at that time and lived in the Royal Hotel in Boyle. He is buried in Killelan (?) cemetary at Knockvicar, Boyle. Her brother Arthur was an officer in the British army and, according to Nancy, had some connection with Michael Collins. (He would be taken to be English, since he spoke with a English accent.)
The O'Conors (or O'Connors) were also known as Connor. Most changed the name back to O'Connor. The original Connor (O'Connor) home is almost beside the church at Crossna (Knockvicar, parish of Ardcarne). That would be the house Nancy's father came from.) The family tradition is that the Connors (O'Connors) were decended from the O'Connor Roes and came from near Elphin, after being put off their land. There is probably something to this since there is/was a line of general officers and officers from this family in the British Army, in the days when there were few Irish Catholics generals or high-ranking officers in the British Army. Nancy's grandmother would be a Catherine McGreevy from Bridgecarton, near Ballyfarnon.
Many of the Connors from that house went to Michigan and Buffalo, NY. The McGreevys went to Worcester, Masachusetts.
I don't know much more about that particular side. My grandfather was a Connor and lived at Derryhirk, Knockvicar. My grandmother was a Coen. That family (Coen) was originally from Boyle. There is a Margaret McLoughlin (my aunt) living at Ardcarne (on the Dublin-Sligo road), who is also a first cousin of Nancy O'Connor and knew her very well. She probably has more details. Hope this helps.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: