Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Fallon's in Lissonuffy 1830?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Fallon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Fallon's in Lissonuffy 1830? Reply with quote

It turns out I'm descended from a line of Fallon's from Lissonuffy. They may have been here since 1620 (see end of this mail). Does anyone recognise any of this story…?

Michael Fallon married Catherine McCormack in Lissonuffy around 1831. He had a son, Michael, there in 1832. They seem to have moved to down the road to Kiltrustan parish as they had a son called Bernard christened there in May 1846.

My father dimly remembers being told that the family had lived somewhere in Lissonuffy parish before moving to Kiltrustan. He said the old house was supposed to be there still. Maybe some of the family (elder brothers?) stayed there as he seems to have moved sometime after marrying Catherine.

A long line of Michael Joseph Fallon’s and Bernard’s (Bernie Joe’s) followed in Kiltrustan. There was an Owen Fallon as well as many daughters (inc Margaret, Delia, Kate) . It’s said my great Grandfather and 2 brothers of his fled for the US (Boston & Canada? Dates not known). Has anyone heard a story about black and tans chasing 2 hedge school masters over Cregga Hills way back when? 2 uncles of my grandfather set alight to the gorse on the hills and made their escape to the US.

My grandfather, Michael Joseph (born c.1892) owned the quarry at Laragan (opposite the old school) in Kiltrustan until 1954, when he died and the land was sold (along with neighbouring land, it passed eventually to the Hanley’s). He had been a Captain the Flying Column and had lost a leg in the civil war in Kerry (there’s a reference to him on the Kerry website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/ambush.html).

I have found a couple of transplantation records of Fallon’s who were moved to land by Cregga Hill in c.1620. maybe this land was in the parish known as Lissonuffy? It would be great to find out if there is any info on Fallon’s in Lissonuffy so that I can figure out what tonland we were in there and if any of the Fallon’s remain there. The Kiltrustan branch I belong to have all died or gone abroad….

Paul Fallon

pbfallon@hotmail.com

Lynne Sisk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fallon's in Lissonuffy 1830? Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: It turns out I'm descended from a line of Fallon's from Lissonuffy. They may have been here since 1620 (see end of this mail). Does anyone recognise any of this story…?

: Michael Fallon married Catherine McCormack in Lissonuffy around 1831. He had a son, Michael, there in 1832. They seem to have moved to down the road to Kiltrustan parish as they had a son called Bernard christened there in May 1846.

: My father dimly remembers being told that the family had lived somewhere in Lissonuffy parish before moving to Kiltrustan. He said the old house was supposed to be there still. Maybe some of the family (elder brothers?) stayed there as he seems to have moved sometime after marrying Catherine.

: A long line of Michael Joseph Fallon’s and Bernard’s (Bernie Joe’s) followed in Kiltrustan. There was an Owen Fallon as well as many daughters (inc Margaret, Delia, Kate) . It’s said my great Grandfather and 2 brothers of his fled for the US (Boston & Canada? Dates not known). Has anyone heard a story about black and tans chasing 2 hedge school masters over Cregga Hills way back when? 2 uncles of my grandfather set alight to the gorse on the hills and made their escape to the US.

: My grandfather, Michael Joseph (born c.1892) owned the quarry at Laragan (opposite the old school) in Kiltrustan until 1954, when he died and the land was sold (along with neighbouring land, it passed eventually to the Hanley’s). He had been a Captain the Flying Column and had lost a leg in the civil war in Kerry (there’s a reference to him on the Kerry website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/ambush.html).

: I have found a couple of transplantation records of Fallon’s who were moved to land by Cregga Hill in c.1620. maybe this land was in the parish known as Lissonuffy? It would be great to find out if there is any info on Fallon’s in Lissonuffy so that I can figure out what tonland we were in there and if any of the Fallon’s remain there. The Kiltrustan branch I belong to have all died or gone abroad….

: Paul Fallon

I think my McCormicks and Finnerans lived in Kitrustan originally and then moved to Cloonfinlough. I will send you a family summary by separate email.

siskabob@mindspring.com

Janice Kelly Belmonte

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallon's in Lissonuffy 1830? Reply with quote

Hi Paul:

My grandfather, Michael Joseph kelly was born in August 1884 in Derrycahill, Dysart, Roscommon to Michael Kelly and Mary Fallon. I don't know anything else about Mary. Is Lissonuffy near Derrycahill?

Thanks,
Janice

: It turns out I'm descended from a line of Fallon's from Lissonuffy. They may have been here since 1620 (see end of this mail). Does anyone recognise any of this story…?

: Michael Fallon married Catherine McCormack in Lissonuffy around 1831. He had a son, Michael, there in 1832. They seem to have moved to down the road to Kiltrustan parish as they had a son called Bernard christened there in May 1846.

: My father dimly remembers being told that the family had lived somewhere in Lissonuffy parish before moving to Kiltrustan. He said the old house was supposed to be there still. Maybe some of the family (elder brothers?) stayed there as he seems to have moved sometime after marrying Catherine.

: A long line of Michael Joseph Fallon’s and Bernard’s (Bernie Joe’s) followed in Kiltrustan. There was an Owen Fallon as well as many daughters (inc Margaret, Delia, Kate) . It’s said my great Grandfather and 2 brothers of his fled for the US (Boston & Canada? Dates not known). Has anyone heard a story about black and tans chasing 2 hedge school masters over Cregga Hills way back when? 2 uncles of my grandfather set alight to the gorse on the hills and made their escape to the US.

: My grandfather, Michael Joseph (born c.1892) owned the quarry at Laragan (opposite the old school) in Kiltrustan until 1954, when he died and the land was sold (along with neighbouring land, it passed eventually to the Hanley’s). He had been a Captain the Flying Column and had lost a leg in the civil war in Kerry (there’s a reference to him on the Kerry website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/ambush.html).

: I have found a couple of transplantation records of Fallon’s who were moved to land by Cregga Hill in c.1620. maybe this land was in the parish known as Lissonuffy? It would be great to find out if there is any info on Fallon’s in Lissonuffy so that I can figure out what tonland we were in there and if any of the Fallon’s remain there. The Kiltrustan branch I belong to have all died or gone abroad….

userjanice8033@cs.co,

Janine Fallon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallon's in Lissonuffy 1830? Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

Paul, I following a Michael Fallon who married Bridget unknown. Their sons John and Thomas entered the US c 1845- 1847.
Your family lore sounds very interesting. No tales of uprising in my family history.
Good luck
Janine

fleamarket@ulster.net

CASPERCARA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallon's in Lissonuffy 1830? Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Hi Paul:

: My grandfather, Michael Joseph kelly was born in August 1884 in Derrycahill, Dysart, Roscommon to Michael Kelly and Mary Fallon. I don't know anything else about Mary. Is Lissonuffy near Derrycahill?

: Thanks,
: Janice

: : It turns out I'm descended from a line of Fallon's from Lissonuffy. They may have been here since 1620 (see end of this mail). Does anyone recognise any of this story…?

: : Michael Fallon married Catherine McCormack in Lissonuffy around 1831. He had a son, Michael, there in 1832. They seem to have moved to down the road to Kiltrustan parish as they had a son called Bernard christened there in May 1846.

: : My father dimly remembers being told that the family had lived somewhere in Lissonuffy parish before moving to Kiltrustan. He said the old house was supposed to be there still. Maybe some of the family (elder brothers?) stayed there as he seems to have moved sometime after marrying Catherine.

: : A long line of Michael Joseph Fallon’s and Bernard’s (Bernie Joe’s) followed in Kiltrustan. There was an Owen Fallon as well as many daughters (inc Margaret, Delia, Kate) . It’s said my great Grandfather and 2 brothers of his fled for the US (Boston & Canada? Dates not known). Has anyone heard a story about black and tans chasing 2 hedge school masters over Cregga Hills way back when? 2 uncles of my grandfather set alight to the gorse on the hills and made their escape to the US.

: : My grandfather, Michael Joseph (born c.1892) owned the quarry at Laragan (opposite the old school) in Kiltrustan until 1954, when he died and the land was sold (along with neighbouring land, it passed eventually to the Hanley’s). He had been a Captain the Flying Column and had lost a leg in the civil war in Kerry (there’s a reference to him on the Kerry website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/ambush.html).

: : I have found a couple of transplantation records of Fallon’s who were moved to land by Cregga Hill in c.1620. maybe this land was in the parish known as Lissonuffy? It would be great to find out if there is any info on Fallon’s in Lissonuffy so that I can figure out what tonland we were in there and if any of the Fallon’s remain there. The Kiltrustan branch I belong to have all died or gone abroad….

: : Paul Fallon

h.gately

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallon's in Lissonuffy 1830? Reply with quote

Derrycahill Dysart is at the other end of the county Roscommon about ten miles from Athlone. Lissonuffy is near Strokestown.Look at a map of Roscommon.There are many families of Kellys and Fallons in that area.

: : My grandfather, Michael Joseph kelly was born in August 1884 in Derrycahill, Dysart, Roscommon to Michael Kelly and Mary Fallon. I don't know anything else about Mary. Is Lissonuffy near Derrycahill?

: : Thanks,
: : Janice

: : : It turns out I'm descended from a line of Fallon's from Lissonuffy. They may have been here since 1620 (see end of this mail). Does anyone recognise any of this story…?

: : : Michael Fallon married Catherine McCormack in Lissonuffy around 1831. He had a son, Michael, there in 1832. They seem to have moved to down the road to Kiltrustan parish as they had a son called Bernard christened there in May 1846.

: : : My father dimly remembers being told that the family had lived somewhere in Lissonuffy parish before moving to Kiltrustan. He said the old house was supposed to be there still. Maybe some of the family (elder brothers?) stayed there as he seems to have moved sometime after marrying Catherine.

: : : A long line of Michael Joseph Fallon’s and Bernard’s (Bernie Joe’s) followed in Kiltrustan. There was an Owen Fallon as well as many daughters (inc Margaret, Delia, Kate) . It’s said my great Grandfather and 2 brothers of his fled for the US (Boston & Canada? Dates not known). Has anyone heard a story about black and tans chasing 2 hedge school masters over Cregga Hills way back when? 2 uncles of my grandfather set alight to the gorse on the hills and made their escape to the US.

: : : My grandfather, Michael Joseph (born c.1892) owned the quarry at Laragan (opposite the old school) in Kiltrustan until 1954, when he died and the land was sold (along with neighbouring land, it passed eventually to the Hanley’s). He had been a Captain the Flying Column and had lost a leg in the civil war in Kerry (there’s a reference to him on the Kerry website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/ambush.html).

: : : I have found a couple of transplantation records of Fallon’s who were moved to land by Cregga Hill in c.1620. maybe this land was in the parish known as Lissonuffy? It would be great to find out if there is any info on Fallon’s in Lissonuffy so that I can figure out what tonland we were in there and if any of the Fallon’s remain there. The Kiltrustan branch I belong to have all died or gone abroad….

: : : Paul Fallon

caspercara@yahoo.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: