Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Mcgreevy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Bourne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Mcgreevy Reply with quote

Searching for information on Mcgreevys. The spelling is definately "ee" not "ea". In particular, any info on James Mcgreevy, born around 1835 in Ireland, who was a tailor. A possible relation, Thomas Mcgreevy, born around 1856 - could be son/nephew/much younger brother, who was a horsekeeper livery staller. Living in Bolton, Lancs, by 1901.

sam@jrbourne.com

Brian Wynn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mcgreevy Reply with quote

Sam, in genealogy, it is safest not to be too sure about anything. As any experienced genealogist will tell you, almost every family tree is FULL of spelling variations. Our ancestors were often illiterate, and surnames tended to adopt a new spelling with each new destination.

McGreegy is just one of the anglicised forms of the Irish Gaelic surname Mag Riabhaigh, a variant of Mac Riabhaigh (meaning 'son of Riabhach', greyish, brindled).

Mag Riabhaigh was also anglicised M'Grevye, M'Greave, Magreevy, Magreavy, MacGreevy, MacGrievy, etc. It was the name of a family who were once chiefs of Moylurg, in Co. Roscommon.

I found one record, which could be relevant to you:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MCGREEVY, James Christening
Birth Date: 1834 Birthplace: Dublin, Dub, Ire
Christening Date: 14 Dec 1834 Recorded in: Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Collection: Presbyterian
Father: Hamilton McGreevy
Mother: Harriot Clark
Source: FHL Film 100238 Dates: 1780 - 1878
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

brianfw@ozemail.com.au

Sam Bourne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mcgreevy Reply with quote

Brian,

Thank you for the information. The record I have from the 1901 census shows that it's "ee" - so far. I am about to get the marriage certificate from the Records office of James Mcgreevy so that should show the father's name. I would appreciate any tips on how to search for Irish records as I know a lot of these were destroyed. Do you have any interest in Mcgreevy's and if so would you like me to let you know the outcome? Thanks again.

sam@jrbourne.com

Brian Wynn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mcgreevy Reply with quote

Sam, I have no particular interest in the McGreevy name. I just try to help.

Keep working backwards through your family tree, always building on what you KNOW to be correct. EXPEXT spelling variations! As well, use the Griffiths listings to find out where your name was most strongly represented. This may lead you to a particular PARISH. After that, you need to try to get hold of the relevant parish records from the LDS (Latter-day Saints). They will be on microfilm, and you will have to use the reader and printer at your nearest LDS Family History Centre/Center to extract the material relevant to you.

It may not help, but you can also use the on-line IGI Search sponsored by the LDS (sometime we get lucky). Also, use your internet search engine to look for anything you can find about the name.

FOOTNOTE: You are actually quite lucky if it is only the SPELLING of a surname that changes from record to record, place to place, and time to time. In my own case, I was born as Brian WYNN in Edinburgh, Scotland. As I traced my tree, I found the surname appearing as Wynn, Wynne, Winn, Win, Whin and Wyne. However, the first Scottish records were as WYNNE an 1851, and the relevant Census gave their place of birth as Roscommon, Ireland. Although there was quite a big group of Wynne immigrants (or refugees) who made the move about this time, I could find no trace of them in Roscommon. It took me two years of further research before I discovered that my "Wynn(e)s" had been required to CHANGE their names to that from their original (but "too Irish") surname GUIHAN before being allowed to leave Ireland. After that, I soon found my entire family in the parish records of Kilronan Parish in Roscommon.

brianfw@ozemail.com.au

Pierrette Labelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mcgreevy Reply with quote

I check the Canadian Census for District St-Henri, Hochelaga ,Quebec because I knew that my gr-mother Mary Ann McGREEVY,daughter of Richard McGREEVY (called Ritchat McGreary in census)and Valerie Nantel was borned there.
Nobody will believe me....but I looked in 261 household names before I found a few of them....same family calls McIllis,McGreary, Meany,McCleary etc.... same family!!!!!
I was lucky that I remember some of my great uncles and gr-Aunties name because you could never figure it out who they were.
I will need help now to be able to find some of those families in Ireland.
They registered Richard's father to be Patrick McIllis borned in 1826 in Ireland and his mother has Grace borned in Ireland in 1836.
If I remember well, Richard's father was supposed to be called Barthelemew and his mother Catherine Cronan.
As you could see it is a mess. Could somebody help me, please.

psml@mts.net

Kit Wheatley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mcgreevy Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Searching for information on Mcgreevys. The spelling is definately "ee" not "ea". In particular, any info on James Mcgreevy, born around 1835 in Ireland, who was a tailor. A possible relation, Thomas Mcgreevy, born around 1856 - could be son/nephew/much younger brother, who was a horsekeeper livery staller. Living in Bolton, Lancs, by 1901.

There was a Thomas who came to Lockport, New York from Roscommon as a two year old around 1948. I'd have to find my papers and they are very incomplete. The spelling of my family (maternal) name is McGreevy. There are some still in Lockport - my grandparents were Patrick and Ella Mullaney of Lockport. When I was a child - around 1957, my mother, Gertrude Burns used to write to a Thomas in Roscommon. He moved to England and she lost track of him. She used to write to others there and when I asked (as an adult) for their names and addreses she only found an old envelope which could not be deciphered. She passed away in 1998 and I'm not sure which relative has her papers. I'd love to find those folks.

vtbug@aol.com

Sam Bourne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mcgreevy Reply with quote

Sorry not to have responded earlier. Unfortunately I don't know of any New York connection - yet. Did your Mother write to any relatives in Bolton, Lancs, UK? I'll let you know if I come across anything.

sam@jrbourne.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: