Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Searching for origins of McWeeny family.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul R. Smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:09 am    Post subject: Searching for origins of McWeeny family. Reply with quote

I am a television researcher and i am currently trying to trace the McWeeny family. My company is making a Documentary about a man who's family originate from the County Leitrim area of Ireland. I have a dilema thogh and that is that every one of the mans family say that the family originate from the County Galway region of Ireland. And in particular an Island in the Bay of Galway called Mweenish Island. My search has hit a sticking point at County Leitrim and i was hoping that somebody would be able to help me search back even further and to reveal any information that could uncover a link to Mweenish Island. At present i have traced the family back to a William J. McWeeny who was born between 1843-1835. I also know that he died in 1908 in Bradford, England. What i need to know is if his mother or Fathers family originate from the Galway Region. If any one can help i would greatl;y appreciate it or if anyone could offer me any advice on how to continue my search.
Thank you very much,
Paul R. Smith

paulisking@hotmail.com

Ray McWeeny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for origins of McWeeny family. Reply with quote

My Great Grandfather, James McWeeny, arrived in the US from county Leitrim, Ireland with his three sisters; Mary, Ellen and Elizabeth in 1845. A brother, Bernard, may have followed at a later date. Their father, Patrick McWeeny, and mother, Nellie McDonohue, remained in Ireland.

I have quite a bit of information on the family in the US but this is all that I have on them in Ireland

Mchotdog@attbi.com

John Gallagher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for origins of McWeeny family. Reply with quote

Dear Paul,I have come arcoss the McWeeny family in my home town parish of Aughnasheelin,look for the townland of Derrinkerer Raycroft.

johnf@jgallagher.fsnet.co.uk

Marcas O Murchu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for origins of McWeeny family. Reply with quote

:To Paul R. Smith
From Marcas O Murchu
momurchu@online.ie

Mc Weeny is an anglicization of the older Irish name Mac Suibhne or Mac Shuibhne ie descendants of Suibhne
There is a person mentioned in a Irish folklore tale called Suibhne.

It is also found as a variation Mc Sweeney (Fanaid and Lough Swilly , Donegal ) and Mahwhinney ( N Ireland and Scotland)

You did not say whether south or north Leitrim?. The island in Galway is as far as I know unconnected.However if the family say there is a connection there may possibly be a link. Have you looked at Griffith's Valuations for the 1850s or the Tithe Applotments for 1830s? Available from most records offices and county libraries.
The closest to Leitrim either the Donegal branch(north) and (south) another branch in the Strokestown area of Roscommon who, I believe, may have a coach company. Many northern surnames went south and west in the seventeenth century, but yours could, of course, have gone there for other reasons, at any date.
Good luck with the programme. My own family was from lovely Leitrim Rossinver (Meehan, Murphy , Connolly) and Arigna (Mc Partland, Daly )and just over the Sligo/Roscommon border my grandfather was a Mc Dermottroe(Kilbryan parish at Lough Key, Boyle) and also some Conlon blood thrown in for good measure (Conway's Cross/Carnagultia, Geevagh) and finally also the Daly family of Gleann, Killamey)are connected.
Regards Marcas O Murchu

momurchu@online.ie

Jim Mc Queeney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Mc Weeney name Reply with quote

The Mc Weeney family name has been established in south Co. Leitrim for at least 250 years and possibly much longer.The surname is found most frequently in the present parishes of Kiltubrid and Fenagh,but is also found, although in lesser numbers, in theadjoining parishes-Oughteragh,which includes Ballinamore and Aughnasheelin, Drumshambo, Kiltogert and Mohill.

jimmcqueeney@aol.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: