Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

army in Boyle

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara hartlley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: army in Boyle Reply with quote

My ancestor Edward Jacques was born in 1815 in Boyle, Roscommon.His father was a soldier. Does anyone know anything about the army in Boyle -perhaps recruiting. I think he was in the 3rd.regiment of foot guards.

barbara@bhartley61.fsnet.co.uk

john

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: army in Boyle Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: My ancestor Edward Jacques was born in 1815 in Boyle, Roscommon.His father was a soldier. Does anyone know anything about the army in Boyle -perhaps recruiting. I think he was in the 3rd.regiment of foot guards.

jonjoe47@yahoo.co.uk

john

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: army in Boyle Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: My ancestor Edward Jacques was born in 1815 in Boyle, Roscommon.His father was a soldier. Does anyone know anything about the army in Boyle -perhaps recruiting. I think he was in the 3rd.regiment of foot guards.

jonjoe47@yahoo.co.uk

John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: army in Boyle Reply with quote

The famous British Army regiment The Connaught Rangers had barracks at Boyle in a house called Kings House. This building is still there and is now a museum. There are a number of sites devoted to the Connaught Rangers such as:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sh.keays/88new.html

In more recent time the actress Maureen O'Sullivan was born in Boyle where her father was an officer in the Rangers.

I believe there are full army records available at Kew Gardens in London and you should be able to trace your ancestor there. There is a website but not sure of it offhand. Perhaps someone else can help there.

John

: : My ancestor Edward Jacques was born in 1815 in Boyle, Roscommon.His father was a soldier. Does anyone know anything about the army in Boyle -perhaps recruiting. I think he was in the 3rd.regiment of foot guards.

jjhiggins@blueyonder.co.uk

John Rooney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Army in Boyle Reply with quote

Boyle was also the HQ of the Roscommon Militia, unfortunately few records survive especially of the 'rank and file'.

Recruiting parties from most British regiments were commonly found all over Ireland. My Great-Great-Grandfather was recruited by the 39th Regt in Boyle in 1854.

All Army personnel records up until 1913 are kept by The Public Record Office, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Surrey, UK. The PRO is on-line although the records are not searchable whilst on-line.

johnrooney@ntlworld.com

Linda Rooney Prote

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Looking for relatives Reply with quote

Sorry,
This is not a comment on the Boyle issue. I am searching out relatives of mine. James and Mary Ann Rooney, of Ireland and Toronto, children: Thomas James and ????. Thomas James married Elizabeth Caroline Galster and had Thomas William and Kathleen.
Any connection, John Rooney?

prote@freeway.net

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: