Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

McGreevys born in England

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul McGreevy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: McGreevys born in England Reply with quote

We always thought my G,Grandfather, John McGreevy (b. circa 1872), was born in Ireland. I've recently seen census records where he lists his place of birth (and that of both his parents) as England. I'm sort of at a dead-end here (hopefully temporary). I don't know where or what records to search now to find his parents. If anyone could give me information or advice, I would be eternally grateful.
- Another Frustrated Researcher

pmcgreevy@earthlink.net

John Rooney

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: McGreevys born in England Reply with quote

Paul,

Firstly try the 1862 census, mistakes were made in the transcriptions. Secondly try the births/marriages/deaths certificates for your G-Grandfather. His parents marriage certificate will give their parents and place of residence etc. You should slowly be able to build up a Family history and because you know their place of residence you will be able to search the census' and eventually pin down the Irishman

Good hunting!

johnrooney@ntlworld.com

Paul McGreevy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: McGreevys born in England Reply with quote

John,
Pin down the Irishman! Now that's a sport!
Unfortunately, I don't have the place of residence, only listed as 'England'. Where exactly can I access the 1862 census?
Thanks for your help.
Paul

: Paul,

: Firstly try the 1862 census, mistakes were made in the transcriptions. Secondly try the births/marriages/deaths certificates for your G-Grandfather. His parents marriage certificate will give their parents and place of residence etc. You should slowly be able to build up a Family history and because you know their place of residence you will be able to search the census' and eventually pin down the Irishman

: Good hunting!

pmcgreevy@earthlink.net

Rosemary Beardmore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: McGreevys born in England Reply with quote

My McGreevys lived in Manchester, England. Which census for which country have you looked at?

: We always thought my G,Grandfather, John McGreevy (b. circa 1872), was born in Ireland. I've recently seen census records where he lists his place of birth (and that of both his parents) as England. I'm sort of at a dead-end here (hopefully temporary). I don't know where or what records to search now to find his parents. If anyone could give me information or advice, I would be eternally grateful.
: - Another Frustrated Researcher

rosemarybeardmore@hotmail.com

Mariana Cuellar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: McGreevys born in England Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: We always thought my G,Grandfather, John McGreevy (b. circa 1872), was born in Ireland. I've recently seen census records where he lists his place of birth (and that of both his parents) as England. I'm sort of at a dead-end here (hopefully temporary). I don't know where or what records to search now to find his parents. If anyone could give me information or advice, I would be eternally grateful.
: - Another Frustrated Researcher

My Great-great, Grandfather was John Mcgreevy born in Ireland, on the 1901 census then living in Liverpool England, His wife was Jane (Houghton?) born Prescot England. They had a son John born in 1872 in Liverpool and also other children including my G,Grandmother Eliza. Do you have any more names on your census? we could see if they match up.

mazc66@hotmail.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: