Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

McNeive's in Roscommon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James McNeive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: McNeive's in Roscommon Reply with quote

My great, great grandfather, Michael McNeive imigrated to the US (Kansas) in 1850. He was from County Roscommon. I am planning on traveling to Ireland this yeat and am wondering if there are any McNeive's still in Roscommon.

jmcneive@mindspring.com

Kath Crawley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: McNeive's in Roscommon Reply with quote

Hi Michael

My Great Grandmother was called Bridget McNeeve. She was married to Martin Mulvey and they lived at Moneyboys, Tulsk, Nr. Strokestown, County Roscommon. Bridget was born approximately 1855. Her father was Patrick McNeeve.

I live in England (my father left Ireland at the outbreak of WW2 and married my English mother). I visit Ireland regularly although the only relative I have found is a third cousin in Roscommon. I have asked her about the McNeeves and she says there are none around now.

Do you think we are related?

Kind Regards
Kath Crawley

kathcrawley@hotmail.com

Seosamh Mac Muirí

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: McNeive's in Roscommon Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Hi Michael

: My Great Grandmother was called Bridget McNeeve. She was married to Martin Mulvey and they lived at Moneyboys, Tulsk, Nr. Strokestown, County Roscommon. Bridget was born approximately 1855. Her father was Patrick McNeeve.

: I live in England (my father left Ireland at the outbreak of WW2 and married my English mother). I visit Ireland regularly although the only relative I have found is a third cousin in Roscommon. I have asked her about the McNeeves and she says there are none around now.

Tá siad thart go fóill faoi leagan eile a chairde!
Your families are around Ros Comáin alright, Micheal and Kate!

The present form of the surname Mac Con Duibh may be hard to recognise as either Mc Neeve, Mc Neive or Cunniffe. There are 47 Cunniffe phone nos. in Ros Comáin/Roscommon, going on the phone book on this site, at least one of these being in Tulsk.

Early intermediate forms, not neccessarily for Ros Comáin, would have been M'Kiniff and M'Kniff, M'Anuff and M'Nuff.

Go n-éirí libh - Good luck with the search.

Seosamh.macmuiri@ul.ie

James McNeive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: McNeive's in Roscommon Reply with quote

In response to Katy Crawley and Seosamh Mac Muiri':

My great granfather, Michael McNeive was born in County Roscommon in 1842, the son of Martin and Alice Carley McNeive. Michael along with his mother and father arrived in the US in 1852. They settled in Cross Creek (St Marys) in 1855. All are buried at Mount Calvery Cemetery in St Marys, along with 22 other McNeives. I do know of a Bridget McNeive buried at St Marys. I would guess we are related.

Seosamh,

Thank you for the history of the Irish surnames. Very interesting as well as helpful. This will give me something to research before I visit Ireland later this year.

Sincerely,

James McNeive
Kansas City, Missouri USA

jmcneive@mindspring.com

James McNeive

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: McNeive's in Roscommon Reply with quote

Hi Seosamh:

The surname (Mac Con Duibh), you mentioned (below); Are you saying that is the origin of the surname(s), McNeive, McNeeve and Cunniffe?

Sincerely,
James McNeive

:
: Tá siad thart go fóill faoi leagan eile a chairde!
: Your families are around Ros Comáin alright, Micheal and Kate!
:
: The present form of the surname Mac Con Duibh may be hard to recognise as either Mc Neeve, Mc Neive or Cunniffe. There are 47 Cunniffe phone nos. in Ros Comáin/Roscommon, going on the phone book on this site, at least one of these being in Tulsk.

: Early intermediate forms, not neccessarily for Ros Comáin, would have been M'Kiniff and M'Kniff, M'Anuff and M'Nuff.

: Go n-éirí libh - Good luck with the search.

jmcneive@mindspring.com

Seosamh Mac Muirí

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: McNeive's in Roscommon Reply with quote

(User Above) wrote:

: Hi Seosamh:

: The surname (Mac Con Duibh), you mentioned (below); Are you saying that is the origin of the surname(s), McNeive, McNeeve and Cunniffe?

Yes James. That appears to be the case.

Irish surnames have escaped deep scrutiny, the gap being filled somewhat by commercial enterprise down the years. There has been a simplification of some names through this haphazard process and none-mention of many others. One actually meets people who have stumbled on relatives with different forms through the male line - their surname - which have not been documented. (e.g. Mason in Milwaukee being Mac Ateer elsewhere in the midwest, obviously through the process Mac an tSaoir > Mac Ateer > Mason, on the etymology of the latter part of the name)

Mac Lysaght does however mention '... MacNiff or MacNeeve' being 'associated with the adjacent Co. Leitrim and when Strafford's Inquistion of Co. Mayo was made in 1636 Mac Eniffe with MacNuff appear in that county; ...' etc. (More Irish Families, p. 72)
The present spread is, generally, Mc Eniff in Donegal/Tyrone, Mc Niff in Sligo/Leitrim, Cunniffe in the rest of Connacht. (There are other forms as well.)

Despite a suggestion (dealt with in MIF, p. 72) that simply 'Mac Naoimh' could have been an origin of Mc Neeve, such is not accepted. There are no grounds to accept such an origin.

Between the Tithes and the Griffith Valuation, names started to adopt most of their present forms. It's nice to see some of the older forms still on the go, just quoting a few :
Mc Glannaghy in Donegal for Glancy/Clancy,
Mc Steen, in very few instances, for Stenson in Sligo,
Mc Nama for Creamer in Ros Comáin.
Gura fada buan iad - May they continue for a long time!
So in your search you may have only dates and Christian names to be half certain about. Keep an open mind.

Ádh mór - Good luck!

: Sincerely,
: James McNeive

: :
: : Tá siad thart go fóill faoi leagan eile a chairde!
: : Your families are around Ros Comáin alright, Micheal and Kate!
: :
: : The present form of the surname Mac Con Duibh may be hard to recognise as either Mc Neeve, Mc Neive or Cunniffe. There are 47 Cunniffe phone nos. in Ros Comáin/Roscommon, going on the phone book on this site, at least one of these being in Tulsk.

: : Early intermediate forms, not neccessarily for Ros Comáin, would have been M'Kiniff and M'Kniff, M'Anuff and M'Nuff.

: : Go n-éirí libh - Good luck with the search.

Seosamh.macmuiri@ul.ie

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: