Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Michael Frain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Michael Frain Reply with quote

I am trying to research my grandfather, Michael Frain. I think he might have been born in Roscommon. I don't have a lot of information, except that I know he had two brothers. I'm at a loss for a place to start. Maybe someone could give me an idea. Thanks.
David Birney

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Michael Frain Reply with quote

I have a Michael Frain (my Great Uncle) in my family tree, born Roscommon. If you can give me more details I may be able to help you.

Regards
David Birney
Victoria
Australia
Frain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather, Michael Frain, was born in 1872 that I can tell. My mother told me he was from County Sligo. However, that does not mean he was born there. I found a Michael Frain in the Ellis Island website that might be him. He came to the US in 1906 at the age of 34 to Curry, Sligo. However, when I sent to County Sligo at sligoroots.com they could not locate a Michael Frain who was born in 1872. He married my grandmother, Catherine Kelleher, I thought in the US, but I'm not sure because she was from Ireland as well. I know that he had a few brothers. I don't remember names. I know that he spoke gaelic and played a fiddle. He was approximately twenty years older than my grandmother. And unfortunately that is about all I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mfrain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Frain"]My grandfather, Michael Frain, was born in 1872 that I can tell. He was born in County Mayo. His father's
name was Thomas and his mother's name is Anne Egan. He married my grandmother, Catherine Kelleher, I thought in the US, but I'm not sure because she was from Ireland as well. She was born in County Leitrim.
Kathleen Thorne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your query about a Michael Frain caught my attention. There is a book out about the War for Independence and Civil War in Roscommon which has an index and alphabetical lisiting of participants (I wrote it, but this is not a solicitation). I recognized the name Frain and looked up the information. Here is what it says: Lily and Michael Frayne (Frain) lived in Drumman More, Ruskey---County Roscommon. Both were probably in their twenties about 1920. They could be the niece and nephew of your Michael, as brothers tended to name their children after their siblings. Ruskey is on the east side of Roscommon next to the river that divides Leitrim from Roscommon. Another possibility---I found a Patrick Frayne from Castleard, Ballaghaderreen arrested during the Civil War. That Frayne lived on the opposite side of Roscommon on the border with Mayo. Given these two townland names might be of help to you in finding the Frain (Frayne) family. Good luck!

Kathleen Hegarty Thorne
Oregon
mfrain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the information Reply with quote

Kathleen, Thanks so much for the information. Your
book sounds like a good place to start. Understanding
what life was like in that area of Ireland would be a
step towards understanding the people.
Thanks again for the help and nice name. I have a
daughter with the same beautiful name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: