Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

corrig in mohill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reynoldsk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: corrig in mohill Reply with quote

I have been researching information on john reynolds and catherine doonan in mohill leitrim. I recently viewed two of their children's birth records from the registry for biths in mohill parish. John reynolds listed his occupation as farmer and place of dwelling as corrig. However, I can not find a townland name corrig in mohill. Does anyone know if corrig is a part of a larger townland?

thanks,
kathryn
roger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathryn:

There is a Corriga townland in the neighboring parish of Cloone.

Roger McDonnell
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily a dead-end but there are no Reynolds or Doonans in Corriga in Griffith's or in the 1901 census

Jim
reynoldsk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any advice on where to go from here in finding info on these reynolds or doonan? is there anything that could explain why they weren't inthe griffiths valuation or census when they were in the corriga area from at least 1857-1877? i know john reynolds and catherine doonan were married in 1857 and the last child i can find born to them was in 1877.
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corriga, whilst it is in the Civil parish of Cloone, is in the Catholic parish of Aughavas.

I have a list of all of the baptisms for Aughavas between 1843 and about 1880 and there are none to John Reynolds and Catherine Doonan.

Now not all people born in a parish are registered in the same parish. Some are baptised etc elsewhere, most commonly because the mother came from another parish and It was very common for a woman to return to her mother's house for the births of at least some of her children.

I am currently working on the Cloone RC parish records although we are looking at months before I get them sorted.

For the moment I would suggest that Corrig is possibly not Corriga so you should probably look elsewhere. Is 'Corrig' a mistake? e.g. there were Reynolds in Carrickavoher although that is Cloone not Mohill.

It is also possible, as you suggest, that Corrig is a sub-division of a larger townland - you need local info to sort that out.

When you say "from the registry for births in mohill parish" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean the parish records or do you mean the Civil Registration records?
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LDS British Isles Vital Records set of CDs lists a Civil birth for Bridget Reynolds,
Father John, mother Catherine Doonan.
Date of birth 22 Feb 1869
The birth was registered in Mohill Registrar’s district. The entry is on page 278 of the Register, LDS film number 101182 is a copy of the actual register.

The Registrar’s District is based on the Poor Law Union and not on Civil Parishes or County.

Mohill Registrar’s District includes 131 townlands in parts of Annaduff, Cloone and Mohill Civil parishes.

Mohill Registrar’s District includes parts of Aghavas, Annaduff, Bornacoola, Cloone, Gortlettera and Mohill Catholic parishes. The LDS have filmed the parochial records for these Catholic parishes.

John
reynoldsk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

Thank you so much for your reply the civil registry for Bridget that you mentioned is actually the exact one that I viewed at the family history center. I am a bit confused about the differences in all the diffierent civil and parish records and want to make sure I interpretted your post correctly. Is it safe to assume that the reynolds could have been from corriga in cloone, and still have the births listed in the mohill civil registiry?
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine
just a couple of suggestions.
I did a trawl of the 1901 census on this site:-

1) In Leitrim (no townland etc) looking for John Reynolds with a Catherine.

2) In Leitrim (no townland) looking for Reynolds (no first name) with a Catherine.

I saw a few possibilities but of course I don't have all your details.

I suggest you do the same. Copy the results and delete all who don't fit possibilities ie age (i.e. both must be around 60 or older?), all Johns married to someone other than Catherine, names and ages of children etc etc.

Hopefully you will end up with a few that are at least possibilities.

Jim
bthacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happen to know of several Reynolds that hail from the Mohill area of Leitrim. Seems close by is a townland of Carrick (sometimes spelled corrik). Is it possible that the g in your corrig is really a k?
Reynolds there around 1830 include Patrick, Laurence, William.
Terry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Index for Marriage Records for the R.C. Parish of Mohill shows a John Reynolds marrying Kate Doonan. The page number for the actual record is hard to read. It might be page 72, which would be c. 1857-1858. You would have to look at the film for the actual record - FHL#1279224. (You might also check the Index on the same film to confirm the page number.)

I don't believe there is a townland called Corrig in the Civil or R.C. Parish of Mohill. It would have to be a corruption or the name for part of a townland. Someone from Cloone could have been married in the R.C. Parish of Mohill - St. Patrick's Church in Mohill Town is right next to Cloone.
reynoldsk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: corrig in mohill Reply with quote

i am writing to say that i did a bit more investigation and think i know what corrig may refer to. I did a search of possible matches to john reynolds and catherine and found a couple living in curraun in 1901 that could match them. john was listed as being 60 and katherine was 70. Curraun is spelled corrin in gaelic-may be where corrig came from.

i wanted to thank everyone who posted such helpful replies. i am not sure if my theory is correct, but i will be checking into it!

sincerely,
kathryn reynolds
bthacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a reference to corrigg (double g) in Leitrim, Ireland.
See LDS Family History film #534695 which contains volume 433 page 212 deed #283243 The Title is Toole to O'Neal
Patrick Tool of Carrick, Anaduff, Leitrim to Patrick ONeil, son of James ONeil of Cloonellan, Cloonguse, Longford, Ireland on their marriage of Elizabeth Tool 5 July 1791: 11 acres of corrigg cont and 4 acres of Carrick Tool.
Declan Higgins

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Corrig is the townland of Carrick (No. 23 on the map at this site) immediately adjacent to Curraun. It’s the local pronunciation, closer to the original Gaelic (carraig meaning rock) than the anglicised Carrick. There are large rocks in some of the fields here and in times past there was a lime kiln and small quarry. Curraun means sickle, or sickle shaped, but I’m not sure of the connection here.

Catherine Reynolds & children in the 1901 census for Carrick, Mohill, is the Catherine Doonan, widowed, you are looking for. Her children, John & James correspond to those listed in Jim McCabe’s correspondence (the older ones having emigrated). It’s not John & Katherine Reynolds who were in Curraun at that time. Their house & land was sold circa 1920 by ‘Owney’ Reynolds and no Reynolds’s have lived in Curraun since. An elderly man lives there today. The Reynolds family however still lives in Carrick (see phonebook).

Catherine Doonan was probably a sister of Michael who lived in Curraun. If so, she would have been brought up in the same house and small farm which Michael inherited. This homestead was eventually occupied by Michael’s son John and his wife and family. It’s a small patch of land in a part of Curraun known as the School Hill. There was no other Doonan family in Curraun at that time and none exists today. All trace of their small house is gone.

I hope this is of some interest or assistance. Regards,

Declan Higgins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: