Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Mitchell family-Fuerty Parish
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Mitchell family-Fuerty Parish Reply with quote

Anyone know anything of the Mitchell family of Fuerty Parish, or Castle Strange in co. Roscommon? Many thanks. Very Happy
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mitchells were the owners of Castle Strange at one time I believe and at present there is a house on the site of the grounds of the castle ,which burned down in 1916.
I understand that this house is occupied by the Frank White family.
The address would be Castlestrange,Fuerty.Co.Roscommon if you would like to write to him,I believe he knows a lot about the history of the mitchell family.
Patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patricia, thank you so much, I will write to them. I am particulary interested in the monuments of the Mitchell family there, I assume they are gravestone monuments but I have very little information about that.
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,I don't know what denomination your Mitchell family were and so I have no idea which cemetery they would be buried in.
I went to Griffiths evaluation of Ireland shown at this s ite and just entered Mitchell,no townland etc and there was an Edward Mitchell living in Castlestrange at that time so go and have a look.This would have been around 1848-1864 time frame.
I have a map of the Fuerty Grave yard and find no reference to a Mitchell Family but that is not conclusive because there is no mention of my ancestors and yet I know for a fact that they are buried there !!!
Good Luck
patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patricia, thanks for the information on Edward Mitchell, he may be related to my Mitchells. My Mitchells were in America prior to the Revolutionary War here which ended in 1783, so that is why I am having so much trouble finding anything on them. I believe that my gggg-grandfather, John Mitchell, was the grandson of Thomas Mitchell and Mary Banner(Bonner) of Castlestrange. This would be going back to the early to mid 1700s, and I have no idea what kind of records would be available to search. I do know that John Mitchell's grandson was a Methodist/Episcopal, but I don't know what denomination Thomas Mitchell may have been. Are we related somehow, you mentioned you have family buried there also....
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,It would be very difficult to research the records back into the 1700s but if you go to the archives at this site you may be able to find correspondence that passed betwenn one of my cousins,Pat Byrne and a Doris Mitchell regarding the Mitchell family of Castlestrange. I would imagine they would have been protestant by faith.
If you cannot find the archived material of the correspondence I do have a copy of some of it.It was in the 2003 time frame.
My ancestors are the Byrne family from Farneykelly and they were related to a Veterinarian named Willie Byrne who lived at Castlestrange until his death in 1910.
He is burried in the Church Of Ireland churchyard in Roscommon.
Therefore we are not related but I do have a cousin living in Castlestrange .
Good Luck
Patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Patricia, I am Doris Mitchell, I don't remember a correspondence with anyone prior to this, but I had problems with my computer. Would it be possible for you to locate the earlier correspondence? Thanks so much for your help, I do very much appreciate it.
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris,I can send you what I have if you don't see it in the archives.
I wondered when I saw the name D.Mitchell if you were one and the same.
Send me your address and I will send you a copy.
Patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patricia, thanks so much. My address is :
1395 Cardinal Lane
Florissant, MO. 63031 USA

I am going to write Mr. White at Castlestrange.

Thanks again. Very Happy
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris, I will put it in the mail tomorrow.
It isn't a lot but there may be something of interest to you.

Patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Patricia, I really appreciate it. Hope you had a nice Easter. Very Happy

Doris
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris...I found this on the internet....
Tuam Herald 15th May 1909
Marriage to be held in September
Michael.P.Harding
Son of the late George Harding
And
Mary Bourke Wright
Daughter of the late Rev. Canon W. Bourke Wright of Athleague
grandaughter of the late.General.John Wray Mitchell

Also I found at another site
Martha,Daughter of Thomas Mitchell,Castlestrange
to Stephen
January 1786
Interesting isn't it
Had a lovely Easter,hope you did too
Patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patricia, yes VERY intersting, I am wondering if that Thomas Mitchell is the same Thomas who married Mary Banner. These are supposed to be my ancestors who were in Roscommon before going to America. Thanks very much, I will look into all of this. Have a great day. Very Happy
Your friend in the US,

Doris
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris,There is some information in the posts that I sent you and it concerns the Mitchells who left Ireland to go to the states,you will find it interesting,should be there in a few days.
Patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Patricia. Have you ever heard anything about Castlestrange being haunted? Is there a protestant church in Fuerty? I think that Thomas Mitchell and Mary Banner were married in Fuerty.

Thanks again. Very Happy
Doris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: