Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Broderick family from Annaghmaghera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annebrod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Broderick family from Annaghmaghera Reply with quote

As a child, I can recall my father, John Francis Broderick, saying his family were originally from Annaghmaghera, Castlerea, Co Roscommon ..... and that is all! My father was born in Manchester, UK. His father, John Broderick, married Bridget Kennedy in 1902 in Manchester. Both grandparents appear in the 1901 census and have Ireland as their country of birth. LDS records show
John Brodrick b3/11/1873 at Castlrea, Roscommon Ire,
father Patrick Brodrick
mother Catherine Flanangan.
I no b/m/d certificates for my grandfather, so cannot verify his birth date or the LDS details.
Irish Ancestors website shows there were 19 Broderick Households in the Parish of Kilkeevin in 1857-8.
Another source, 'Eneclann' says that at the time of the 1901 Census of Ireland there were no Broderick households in the parish of Kilkeevin.
Any assistance in locating the Brodericks of Annaghmaghera would be gratefully accepted Smile
Thanks
Anne
John Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few details for Annaghmaghera townland
1832 Tithe Applotment records LDS film 256633,
Change of occupiers of land 1857 to c1920 LDS film 867973.
Kilkeevin Civil parish for all records other than church baptism and church marriage.
See http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/ for part of 1857 Griffith’s Valuation.
Castlerea Catholic parish for baptism and church marriage records.
Elphin Diocese http://www.elphindiocese.ie/ for address of Parish priest.
Cloonfower District Electoral Division.
Civil birth, marriage and death records registered in Castlereagh Registrar’s District.
Castlereagh Barony,
Castlereagh Poor Law Union.

The following persons named Broderick occupied land in Kilkeevin Civil parish at the 1857 Griffith’s Valuation:
Luke Ballindrumlea
Michael Ballindrumlea
Michael Beagh
Patrick Caher
Michael Castlereagh
Michael Castlereagh Town
Patrick Cloonchambers
Patrick Clooncraffield
William Clooncraffield
Michael Cloonelt
Mallachy Cloonfower
Michael Cloonfower
William Cloonfower
Michael Cloontrask
Michael Creggancor
Patrick Creggancor
Thomas Creggancor

John
annebrod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Broderick family of Annaghmaghera Reply with quote

Ed and John
A big thankyou to both of you for your help. Very Happy The Eneclann statement (of nothing!) cost $66.00(Aust) and you two have provided so much more for free. I have sent off to GRO for the marriage cert of my grandparents and fingers crossed, that will provide another clue to work out if any of the Broderick's that you have found are my rellies. The address for the Parish priest is also another useful avenue that I shall pursue.

John - is Cloonfower a farm/town/district?? Was it part of Annaghmaghera or is Annaghmaghera a part of Cloonfower? Could the Broderick family live in/on Annaghmaghera and farm somewhere else? I'm a beginner and don't know the regional names of the area. It's just that I spotted the unusual name, Mallachy at Cloonfower. My father's brother was baptised, Mallachi. Maybe it's a family name.

Ed - Your details for Patrick Brodrick/Catherine Flanagan show
John Bir 1868
and John Bir 1873
Does this mean one died and another brother was given the same name?
Once again,
Thankyou
Anne
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne

Townland definition:
“The Townland is the smallest administrative unit of land and varies in size. County Roscommon townlands vary in size from two acres (Ballyclare Island) to 2469 acres (Cloonown townland. The average size is 350 acres. It is still the basic address used by rural Irish people for mail and telephone. Each Civil Parish is composed of a number of townlands. A town or village might comprise parts of a number of different townlands. Townlands can come in almost any shape, any size, and with all manner of names (eg. Gaelic, Norman, English, topographical). Note that many townlands in Co Roscommon share the same name. In Australia today we would refer to them as a "sub-division" or "an estate" that had been broken up into varying sized "lots" or "allotments" of land.”

Look at the townland index at www.leitrim-roscommon.com for more details on each townland

To view the location of townlands in Kilkeevan Civil parish visit
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/kilkeevin.html

You should check birth/marriage records in adjoining parishes.

At Griffith’s Valuation of Kilkeevan the following persond were called Mallachi:
Mullen Malachy, Cloonchambers townland.
Mahon Malachy, Cloonfad townland.

Of the 34,661 given names recorded for County Roscommon at Griffith’s Valuation, 87 were Mallachi.

Advice from Dr. James Small:
“An Irish research plan is directly dependent on the amount and specificity of the information available. Every effort should be expended toward identifying the exact location, i.e. the name of the townland or parish of the immigrant ancestor. In order to accomplish this goal, one must first search the “New Country (US, Canadian, UK or Australian) sources”. These include a study of all the personal or family, civil, ecclesiastical, LDS (FHL), and other library data available, with an emphasis on localising the family's place of origin in Ireland. Only after exhaustive work in the foregoing areas should the Irish sources be consulted. (Source: Dr. James Small, noted New York genealogist. 1988).”

My advice:
“Do your research in Ireland last.
There does not appear to be a government Department of Fair Trading in Ireland. Usually you “pay your money up front, take your chance and wait ... and wait".
My argument is not about having to pay hefty fees for the information, but about not being able to verify its accuracy.

Ed is an expert in using the IGI (www.familysearch.org).

I suggest you visit a major public library or your local LDS Family History Centre and use their copy of the LDS British Isles Vital Records Index CDs (set of 16 CDs) and record/order the film numbers of the Broderick records. The microfilms are copies of the actual records. Irish Civil births show the birth townland and occupation of father.

A recent book on Irish research is
Tracing your Irish ancestors, John Grenham, 2006, ISBN 0 – 8063 – 1768 X.

It should be available in most Public Libraries.

John
valerie higgins

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Broderick from Annaghamaghera Reply with quote

Hi Anne,

I am familiar with Annaghmaghera and the surrounding areas referred to by Ed and John as I grew up nearby. I also know of a Broderick family in the area who had Malachy as father so the name continues. It is difficult yet to pinpoint your John to the correct family. There are no old folks left in the area who might have had the vital information. If only 10 years ago!!!!
You can email me direct if you like (click on email at bottom of message) and I can fill you in and answer any questions about the area. If I can help at all, please ask.

Good luck in search,

Valerie Higgins
annebrod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Brodericks of Annaghmaghera Reply with quote

Hi Valerie
Thank you for your offer of help. My grandparents' Marriage Certificate copy arrived today! I now know that my
g grandfather was Malachy Brodrick - Farmer (deceased). My grandfather, John Brodrick (33years) married my grandmother, Bridget Kennedy (25 years) in Manchester in 1909. Bridget's father is James Kennedy (deceased) Army Pensioner. Will any of this information help to locate my Roscommon links?
As I know that Bridget's family also came from Ireland - though I don't know where, yet, could anyone help determine which Army her father would have been a pensioner of? Bridget's mother is Mary Kennedy (Widow) c1845 as she appears in the 1901 census in Manchester. She has a sister Mary c1874, brother James c 1878 and brother Martin c1887.
Some of the information that Ed previously clipped from the LDS records shows a 'Malachy Brodrick (78) just died' at Cloonfower, Kilkeevin. There is a son, John (26) and daughter Kate(36). I don't know what year these records relate to so can't tell if they are a match. Also, I don't know how far or close Cloonfower is to Annaghmaghera. Would the local Parish Church have records to check?
Once again, thanks for any assistance/information you may find.
Anne
annebrod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Brodericks of Annaghmaghera Reply with quote

Hi Ed
Once again thanks for your research help. Maybe with both options that you have provided I can get some confirmation via parish records Confused There appear to be strong possibilities.
Any suggestions I could follow to track down the origins of James Kennedy, Army Pensioner - father of my Paternal grandmother, Bridget Kennedy? I'm aware of the commonality of the name! I thought the 'army pensioner' might be a starting point. Would he have to have been involved/disabled in a war to receive a pension in the mid-1800s? His widow, Mary Kennedy, appears in the 1901 census in Manchester age 56, c 1845 Ireland, as a widow living on her own means - could that mean the army pension, still? Her children are listed as: Mary c1874, James c 1878, Bridget c1883 and Martin
c 1887. All list Ireland as their country of birth. Sometime between the birth of Martin c 1887 and the 1901 census in Manchester, James senior died.
In some previous internet sleuthing (LDS site - I think) I found:
MARY KEAN b 1846 WICKLOW married JAMES KENNEDY 1867 WICKLOW b 1842 WICKLOW. Don't know if this is a match unless there are some records of their children, James, Mary, Bridget and Martin - or the death of James senior.
Another: JAMES KENNEDY b1842 married 1867 MARY LIGHT b1846 - haven't got any details of where in Ireland this one is from.
Any offers gratefully accepted! Very Happy
Anne
valerie higgins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Broderick from Annaghmaghera Reply with quote

Anne,

Could you please make contact again as all my emails were accidently deleted some months ago and I have no address for you. Sorry.

Valerie Higgins
eamonhiggins@eircom.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: