Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Mary Toole and Laurance Reynolds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bthacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Mary Toole and Laurance Reynolds Reply with quote

Family tradition has a Mary Toole marrying a Laurance Reynolds of Chicago. After his death Mary went to Manchester England to stay with a relative, William Reynolds, where she died in 1904. Found what I think is the census for these folks in England and it shows Leitrim, Ireland as the birth spot for Mary Toole. Names of the children include: James, Lawrence, Thomas, John, and Joseph in the 1870 and 1880 censuses for Cook, Illinois. Believe they met in Leitrim. Would love to document their marriage (around 1860) or births (around 1840). No luck in finding records of the events in Chicago. Would appreciate any leads in Mohill, Leitrim.
Jim Bohan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Bohan - Toole Reply with quote

On April 11, 1844 Edward Toole married Mary Bohan whitnesses were James and Maria Bohan. This marriage took place in County Leitrim, town of Mohill , the Parish of Mohill. God Bless Jim Bohan
Jim Bohan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Toole Reply with quote

Toole and Twohill are the same name in the LDS old church records for Mohill Parish in leitrim. Look under Twohill. There is a Reynolds connection.
Terry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you familiar with the publication "The Reynolds letters - an Irish emigrant family in late Victorian Manchester?" There are similarities to your family - Lawrence who went to Chicago from Leitrim (apparently Mohill), whose brother and wife went to Manchester. The letters are between the two families. Publisher Cork University Press, 1999, edited by Lawrence W. McBride.
bthacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: "The Reynolds Letters" Thanks for the hints Reply with quote

Thanks, Terry, for the hint on the book. It does indeed discuss the letters from Laurance's Mother to his family in Chicago. What a great lead.

Thanks also to Jim for the Twohill hint. I will follow up on that one as well.
bthacker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Book by Lawrence McBride, it appears that Laurance Reynolds is the son of Mary Toole Reynolds. Appears that Mary has a brother William in Leitrim and a sister Sicily as well.
Still working on Peter Twohill lead.

Thanks again.
bthacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Bohan Toole Connection? Reply with quote

Jim -
Found a baptism of a William Reynolds to a Patrick Reynolds and Maria Twohilll with a sponsor of Catherine Bohan on Mai (may) 26, 1847 which matches the birth date of William Reynolds in the Irish Narratives book. Looks like your lead really paid off! Thanks so very much! I also note a birth to an Edward Twohill and Maria Bohan in 1845. Any idea on the extent of the Twohill - Bohan connection? Do you have the names of any other children for Maria Bohan?
reynoldsk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi becky i don't know if this would be at all helpful to you but i found a john reilly and a BRIDGET BOHAN were listed as sponsors at the baptism of francis reynolds in 1866(francis was the son of john reynolds and catherine doonan) i assumed they were related in some way but haven't found a direct link yet
bthacker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Found the necessary documentation at The Newberry Library in Chicago. The McBride Reynolds Special Collection. Thanks to all who responded to this post.
Anne Sullivan-Reed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it wasn't Toolan. There are Toolans and Reynolds from Lisduff, roscommon. My grandfather was a Toolan and he had a brother Joseph who immigrated to Chicago, Cooks County.
efinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Sullivan-Reed wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't Toolan. There are Toolans and Reynolds from Lisduff, roscommon. My grandfather was a Toolan and he had a brother Joseph who immigrated to Chicago, Cooks County.

Hi Anne - Just an interesting aside regarding your Toolan from Lisduff to Chicago.
For a very long time throughout my initial Finn research, I was somewhat convinced that all of my blood line had immigrated to New Jersey. One day I received an email from a young lass in NYC who was looking for advice on her Finn research. Makinig a long story short. She turned out to be my cousin and ALL of her Finns had immigrated to Chicago. Upon confirming our connection, my genealogy book just about doubled in size. Needless to say all of my Finns originalted in Lisduff as well. I guess the word must have spread around Lisduff that there was "good pickins" in both New Jersey AND Chicago. By the way...the vast majority of the Finns who ended up in Chicago ended up on the police force...small wonder...eh?

Good luck with your continued research.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: