Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

WINTERS Canada to Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanielW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: WINTERS Canada to Australia Reply with quote

Hello,
I have just joined, and will outline my Leitrim-Roscommon interest.

My Great Great Grandfather John WINTERS was married in 1876 in a small town called Gayndah in the (then) Colony of Queensland (Australia). I have his Certificate of Marriage, which records that he was born c. 1847 in "Co Roscommon", and that his parents were John WINTERS of Leitrim and Anne CUNNINGHAM of Roscommon.

I can find no records of my GG Grandfather John WINTERS prior to his marriage. Handed down family stories have John junior as being from Leitrim, and that he went to the USA and Canada to ply his trade as a Wheelwright. I can find no record of him arriving in any Australian colony. Whilst WINTERS is a most uncommon name in Australia, that is not the case in Canada nor, particularly, in the USA. Searching records of both of these countries is difficult for what is a common name there - John WINTERS.

Tantalisingly, I have discovered a John WINTERS of the right age, born in Ireland, on the 1851 and 1861 English Census liviing in Bishop Auckland in County Durham, who disappears by the 1871 Census. This find is sadly not proven yet, as I cannot find any other supporting evidence.

Perhaps other posters may be able to provide me with some research tips on my elusive John WINTERS?

Cheers,
Daniel Winters
Perth, Western Australia
DanielW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thankyou Ed ! It would seem that you have discovered my lot. I think I should look more carefully at the LDS in future. Thankyou for the reply.
Regards,
Daniel Winters
Perth, Western Australia
John Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter is not a common name in County Roscommon.

The “County Roscommon Distribution of Surnames in Civil parishes 1749- 1901” lists the following for Winter and Winters:

Surname: Winter
Civil parish: Killukin,
Barony: Roscommon,
1749 Census of Elphin Diocese: Page 309 of LDS Film 101781,
1833 Tithe Applotment: Nil
1856 Griffith’s Valuation: Nil
1901 Census: Nil

Surname: Winters,
Barony: Boyle,
1749 Census of Elphin Diocese: Nil
1835 Tithe Applotment: See entries on LDS film 256643,
1856 Griffith’s Valuation:
1901 Census:

Cunningham is a common name in County Roscommon. To see the full listing in “County Roscommon Distribution of Surnames in Civil parishes 1749- 1901”, I suggest you visit the Family History section of the West Australian State Library in Perth and ask to see their copy of the 2006 CD “Resource County Roscommon – Disk 2).

The “County Roscommon Distribution of Surnames in Civil parishes 1749- 1901” includes the following entries for Cunningham:

Surname: Cunningham,
1749 Census of Elphin Diocese: Nil
1835 Tithe Applotment: Nil,
1856 Griffith’s Valuation: one entry
1901 Census: one entry (one entry for Killukin Civil parish.

Civil parish: Killummod, (Killukin and Killummod Civil parishes adjoin)
1749 Census of Elphin Diocese: Page 43 of LDS Film 101781,
1842 Tithe Applotment: Yes. See entries for Killummod Civil parish on LDS film 256643,
1856 Griffith’s Valuation: Nil
1901 Census: See entries for Cunningham under “other occupiers” of John Carroll, Carrowmore townland.

From Griffith’s Valuation records (see microfiche at WA State Library).:
Civil parish: Killukin, Barony: Boyle,
1856 Griffith’s Valuation: one entry – Kate Cunningham occupied house & small garden, value 15 shillings in Mullaghmore townland. Leased from William Laird. For information on William Laird during the Famine see “Oceans of Consolation”, The book includes correspondence between the Killukin area and Australia.

For the location of Mullaghmore townland see the readily available Ordnance Survey Discovery Series road map number 33, map grid reference 925 986

Note that there are two Civil parishes named Killukin in County Roscommon. See http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/ros_par.html also
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/ros_bar.html

Two more Winter births to add to Ed Gaffney’s list:
WINTERS, Johannes Christening, Gender: Male
21 Aug 1803 Boyle, Roscommon, Ireland
Collection: Roman Catholic
Father: Patritius WINTERS
Mother: Maria WARD
Source: FHL Film 989743 Dates: 1803 - 1806

WINTER, Patritius Christening, Gender: Male
13 Feb 1806 Boyle, Roscommon, Ireland
Father: Patritius WINTER
Mother: Maria WARD
Source: FHL Film 989743 Dates: 1803 – 1806

Some Cunningham baptisms of interest:
CUNNINGHAM, Annam Christening, Female
23 Sep 1815 Killukin, Roscommon, Ireland
Father: Bartholomei CUNNINGHAM
Mother: Elizabethae MURRAY
Source: FHL Film 989741 Dates: 1811 - 1823

CUNNINGHAM, Annam Christening Gender: Female
30 Aug 1816 Killukin, Roscommon, Ireland
Father: Edvardi CUNNINGHAM
Mother: Mariae CLERK
Source: FHL Film 989741 Dates: 1811 – 1823

If you look at the LDS films it will show names of witnesses/sponsors and rarely the townland.

Visit http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/Croghan.html and note the location of Carrick on Shannon, Mullaghmore, Drumlion, Carrowmore and Killummod townlands.

The LDS British Isles Vital Records Index set of 16 CDs costs a few dollars, including postage. See www.familysearch.org pr telephone Sydney (02) 9841 5423.

I believe the family were baptised in the Drumlion Catholic church which recently celebrated its 150th anniversary (see my recent post on the L_R Bulletin Board).

Seven of my wife’s Beirne ancestors from Killummod townland were baptised in the
Drumlion Catholic church 1852-1862 (Morahan and Nerney).

For the history of Croghan Catholic parish see “Diocese of Elphin” by Francis Beirne, ISBN 185607 2991

At Tithe Applotment a William Cunningham occupied land in Killummod townland – LDS film 256643.

LDS film 867957 will show the change of occupiers of land in Mullaghmore townland from 1856 to c1901.

LDS film 867958 will show the change of occupiers of land in Carrowmore townland from 1856 to c1901.

John,
Kelvin Grove, Qld
mickjoe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Winters on the Leitrim 1901 Census Reply with quote

Hi Daniel, I found this WINTER Family on the 1901 census in Leitrim, could they be your Relatives

Cashel Mohill Mohill Leitrim
Household: Winters John (60) Farmer Anne(50)- Patrick(30)- Lizzie(19)- John J (7)- Bernard (5)(nephews both born in USA) -Mary A (5) (niece/born in USA)-Franny Hurray (80) (widower) (retired farmer).

Good Luck with your search.

Michael O'

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
GMAROSE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gr gr gmother was Honora Igo Winters,b abt 1781, her husband was Lawrence Winters. I have never found any information on him as Honora was listed as Widow Winters in Griffiths. Honora left Kilglass, co Roscommon in 1847 and came to New York. She ended up in Vermont along with her children, Nancy b 1815, married Daniel McGuire, Thomas b 1817, Margaret b 1820, Honora (Ann) b 1823, married Patrick McLaughlin, also from Co Roscommon. and son John b 1825.

I also recently found out my gr gr gfather Michael Farrell, also from Co Roscommon was the son of Patrick Farrell and Annie Winters according to his death record in Vermont. I have no information as to parish or township.

I have had no success searching for Winters in Ireland either.
With so few I wonder if there is any connections.

Rosemary
DanielW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vermont is oft mentioned as a destination for my John WINTERS. Could be a link. Thankyou for everyone's input to my query.
Regards,
Daniel Winters
Jackie Blanchard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Another Winter for you... Reply with quote

Stumbled across this in researching my Callaghans...

WINTER, Pat Marriage
Wife: Margartam CALLAGHAN Marriage Date: 8 Apr 1833 Recorded in: Boyle, Roscommon, Ireland
Source: FHL Film 989743 Dates: 1808 - 1864

Good luck to you.

Jackie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: