Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

LADY BETTY ROSCOMMON HANGWOMAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitty conboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: LADY BETTY ROSCOMMON HANGWOMAN Reply with quote

Ifound this and thought it might be of interest Lady Betty

From 1780 to about 1810, the executioner at Roscommon Jail was a cold-blooded, brutal woman. Originally from Kerry. "Lady Betty" and her story have become the stuff of legend in Roscommon and the surrounding area. Her rise to infamy is the stuff Hollywood scripts are made of. She was one of the most bloodthirsty and feared women in all of Irish history.

She moved up from Kerry to Roscommon for reasons best known to herself in the late 18th century, and lived in total poverty on the West side of the county. A single mother with a young son, she was (very unusually for the times) literate, and taught her child to read and write. She also taught him that nothing matters in the world but money. When he was old enough, this well educated urchin headed to America to seek his fortune.

One night, a few years later, there was a knock on Betty's door, and a well dressed gentleman stood framed against the western weather. He asked for shelter, and, as was traditional, Betty invited him in. Here, there are two versions of the story. One says that she had been systematically butchering guests for years and taking their belongings. The other says that this was her first time performing the grisly deed. Regardless, the tall stranger was soon dispatched, and it was only when leafing through his documents that Betty discovered she had killed her own son, which naturally didn't go down too well.

Betty fled in hysterics, and was soon picked up by the local constable. As a murderer, she was tranported to the prison at Roscommon town (now a shopping centre, of all things!) to be hanged. There aren't too many differences in the concept of bureacracy then and now; it got itself tied up in knots as it still tends to (I think civil servants have to take a course in fouling things up horrendously before they're allowed into the job), and there was no hangman avilable to deal with Betty and her fellow homicidal maniacs on the appointed day. As the sherrif himself was preparing to attend to the gruesome task, Betty stepped forward, looked him in the eye, and said "let me free and I'll hang them all!"

The rest is, as they say, history. For the best part of the next two decades, Lady Betty as she came to be known, was chief executioner at Roscommon Jail. She lived rent free in a third floor chamber at the prison, and although she was paid no salary she loved her work and never had to worry about food. She had a very public method of haging too; a scaffold was erected right outside her window, and the unfortunate hangee had to crawl out, ready- noosed, and stand there as she pulled a lever, swinging him to kingdom come. She had a nasty habit of leaving the bodies placidly "do the pendulum thing" while she sketched them in charcoal. When she eventually died, in the first decade of the 19th century, her room was decorated with the images of the hundreds of people she had happily sent to their deaths.
mickjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hangings Reply with quote

My Dear cousin Kitty, what on earth are you reading now.
I am wondering if I will be safe when visiting you all up there .... Strange that you mentioned " Hangings", as I recently came across a list of "Hangings" in Ireland. I didn't put it on this web site as I thought it would be to Gruesome a subject.

Take care Kitty.

Regards from oxford

Micheal O'
kitty conboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: LADY BETTY ROSCOMMON HANGWOMAN Reply with quote

Michael you should know gruesome stuff makes good reading lets hope she is not related to us as i might the next time you come to visit be doing away with you ha ha hope to seeyou soon -- kittyxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: