Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Patrick & Sarah Kelly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Patrick & Sarah Kelly Reply with quote

My ggrandfather was Patrick Kelly, born about 1799, died on June 26, 1882. His wife was Sarah Garrick, born about 1818, died on May 15, 1900. Their known children were:
John Henry Kelly, born about 1846, died June 13, 1925. His wife was Mary Sloan, born 1846, died August 14, 1922. They were married May 30, 1869 at St. Peter’s Church, Athlone.
Peter J. Kelly, born May 14 1858, died November 9, 1902.
Thomas Kelly, born about 1851. His wife was Mary Kilmartin, born about 1851. Children: Kate, born about 1883, Patrick, born about 1885, and Sarah, born about 1890.

Patrick had a brother John, born about 1826, died on July 13, 1869.

There is reason to think that this family lived in the Townland of Killeenrevagh, Killenvoy Parish, Co. Roscommon at the time of Griffiths Survey. Prior to 1880, Patrick, Sarah, John Henry, Peter, Thomas and brother John moved to Cloonyquin Townland, Fuerty Parish, Co. Roscommon and may have purchased land. I don’t know what happened to the other Kellys of Killeenrevagh as listed in Griffiths: Barthalomew, Matthew, Michael, Bryan, William and Eliza.

The 1901 census shows Thomas and his family living in Cloonyquin, and the following Kellys in Killeenrevagh: Michael, born about 1827, and his wife Winifred, born about 1823; John, born about 1823, and his wife Bridget, born about 1837, and Patrick, born about 1871; and Malachy, born about 1856, and his wife Bridget, born about 1860, Thomas, born about 1884, Michael, born about 1886, Malachy, born about 1889, and Winnifred, born about 1888.

Patrick and Sarah, Thomas and Mary, and brother John are buried in the family plot in the old cemetery in Fuerty. Sons John Henry and Peter emigrated to the U.S. in 1869 and 1880, respectively, raised families and died in Newton, Massachusetts.

Hoping to get baptism and marriage data and establish a family relationship with the other Kellys in Killeenrevagh, I searched the LDS British Isles Vital Records Index CDs (2nd Edition) but didn’t get a hit.

Any help in identifying other children (or family members) Patrick and Sarah may have had among the above will be greatly appreciated.
Andrew Garrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Patrick Kelly and Sarah Garrick Reply with quote

I am currently researching the Garrick family in Roscommon. My particular branch of the family are from Galey townland, in Killinvoy civil parish, just north of Killeenrevagh.

I have identified a number of Garricks living in the area in the period before Griffiths, but your Sarah is new to me, so I'd be very interested in any further information you might have on her or her family. Do you by any chance know anything more about her? - who her parents were, or when and where she and Patrick were married?

I have a Sarah Garrick living in Killeenrevagh at the time of Griffiths, do you know if she is connected to your Kelly/Garrick family? According to the Cancelled Land Books, she is gone by 1874 and the house is "down". I had assumed she was a widow who had died by then, although I failed to find a record of her death in the GRO in Dublin.

In the Tithe books for Roscommon, there are two Garricks she may be connected to:

Patrick Gorrick, in Galey TL (I believe he is probably my gt-gt-grandfather, although I have not been able to prove this yet).

John Garrick, in Ballybrogan TL, Rahara civil parish. There are no Garricks here by the time of Griffiths. This is a little to the East of Killeenrevagh.

There is also a John Gurrick/Garrick in Aughadmore TL, Fuerty parish, and a James Garrick in Monisternalia in Athleague parish.

There are also a number of Kellys in the Tithe Books for this area, including the two men who assemble the books - Edmund Kelly, who appears to be quite a significant local farmer, and Dennis Kelly, who holds 24 acres at Kellybrook. There is no entry for Killeenrevagh under that name, but there is for Churchboro, just along the road around Killinvoy church. This has Edmund Kelly with 89 acres, and John Kelly with 16 acres.

Any help you can give me with Sarah and her family would be greatly appreciated
BobK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Sarah Garrick Reply with quote

Andrew:
Thank you for your query about Sarah Garrick. Unfortunately, I do not have any more information about her than is contained in Griffiths listing for Killeenrevagh Townland. Since posting my message last June, I have come to think that she was a widow at that time and that she may have been the mother of my gt-gt-grandmother (also named Sarah Garrick) who would almost certainly have been married to Patrick Kelly and not listed in Griffiths then.
The name Garrick seems to be quite rare in Roscommon, so it is quite possible that you are related - even in a distant way - to my gt-gt-grandmother. The only solid information I have on her is that she died on May 15, 1900 at the age of 82 years and is buried with Patrick in the old cemetery in Fuerty. I have not yet been able to identify her parents, nor the dates and places of her birth and marriage.
I am curious about the Cancelled Land Books you mention. I would like to search those for Cloonyquin Townland in Fuerty Parish for the late 1850's and 1860's to see when Patrick Kelly and Sarah settled there. Do you know if they are available on LDS film?
I have a small file concerning several Garricks of Roscommon that I will be happy to copy and mail to you if you wish to provide me with your address in Northumberland. My e-mail address is: rfk387@netscape.net. Best Regrds, Bob.
Andrew Garrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob

I have replied to you by email - let me know if this does not arrive. Sorry for the delay in responding - I was sure I had replied at the time, but I'm now not so sure.

You can reach me at andrew.garrick@btopenworld.com.

Regards,

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: