Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

CARLOS: Cromwell transplantion; where from prior?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos and Duffy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: CARLOS: Cromwell transplantion; where from prior? Reply with quote

SUBJECT: Cromwell transplantion; how do I discover where FROM? (Roscommon, Lissonuffy, Cloonycarran More or Lismeehy area; mid-1850s: CARLOS; GILL)

After several years of research, I have come to the conclusion that my Roman Catholic CARLOS' were very likely part of the transplantion into Connacht during Cromwellian times. CARLOS appear to have come from some other part of Ireland. Those of surname CARLOS do NOT seem to be native to County Roscommon.

Where were CARLOS' from prior to Cromwell? Leinster? Ulster? Munster? How can I find out? Where to get clues?

I am also interested in a Bridget GILL, found in Griffiths Valuation for Cloonycarran More, Lissonuffy, County Roscommon. She was witness to one of married couple James H. CARLOS and Mary DUFFY sons.

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=carlos_barber&id=I14

Laura (Mc)Carlos Shulman
Gilroy, California, USA
Tom Coughlan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to refer to a book:
Robert C. Simington, The Transplantation to Connaught, 1654-58, Irish University Press for the Irish Manuscript Commission, Dublin, 1970.
I know there is a copy in the National Library of Ireland but would assume it is also available in other major libraries that stock Irish Manuscript Commission publications.

Tom
Sharon Keegan Bernstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Laura,
I don't have any personal knowledge of this name, but your post intrigued me. There seem to be a number of places on-line where you can information about this name. Before you can find a point of origin, you have to find a "more authentic/older" version.

We have to remember that most of our names were anglicized and also just spelled very creatively.

The Irish Times site states that, in fact, almost all "Carlos" are from Roscommon with a few from Galway. It was a local variation on the below names:

Carlos - Mac Cathail

(Mac) Corless - Mac Carlais

"Corless: Quite numerous: Galway, Mayo, Sligo. Ir. Mac Carlais. The name was originally Mac Coirleasa of the Uí Máine and later Mac Cathail. SI & SGG."
(This would indicate that it is a truly Irish name, rather than being from Scotland)

By the way,when you refer to the Ulster Plantation are you thinking that your family were driven out of Ulster or that they were part of the Plantation ?

Again, I'm not a scholar on this subject, but it seemed pretty clear that this is your lineage.
Good luck,
PS I grew up in San Jose.

Cassidy, Flynn of Inishmagrath
Lee of Kilronan
Keegan and McDermott of Ballenaglera
Paul B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not already seen this site, it may be of interest to you.

http://www.lighthousewoods.com/genealogy/carlos/books/carlos_sharkey_heart.html

Carlos from Ireland

From the site:

I visited Lissonuffy, a very curious church, said to have been built within the ring of an earthen fort by the O’Duffys and Carlos (Mach Carluisc) in the 6th century; all which is, I am convinced, true, except the date, which is unquestionably wrong, as the name O’Duffy was not in existence in the 6th century, and the church, of which a great portion is standing, is the Gothic style, of which the oldest specimen now in existence is dated 1126.

The Duffys and Carlos are interred in great numbers in this churchyard, and it would appear that they were the ancient Erenachs of the place. According to tradition, the O’Duffys came hither from the County of Louth in the sixth century and possessed the townlands of Tullyvarran, Ballyduffy, Carroward, Caggalkeenagh, and Ballintemple, in the parish of Lissoduffy. The ring of the fort was nearly levelled about fifteen years ago, when the present wall enclosing the churchyard was erected.

Until then the Lis, which was planted with white thorns, was the only enclosure, and prevented the pigs from disturbing the bones of the O’Duffys, which the present wall does not (because the gate is left open). Besides this church, there were two others in the parish; one called Teampull Riabhach, which stood within 8 perches to the S.E. of the present church, and another in the upper (i.e., south) part of the townland of Ballinafad, on the summit of the hill, and about three-quarter mile south from the present church of Lissonuffy.

We learn from the Annals of the Four Masters, at the year 1471, that the true name of this place is Lios Ui n-Dubththaigh, that is the fort of the O’Duffys, and that it was in Mac Branan’s country, “A.D. 1741, Donnell (son of Cormac, son of Manus) Mac Branain, was treacherously slain at Lios Ui n-Dubththaigh (arx Duffiorum), in violation of the guarantee of the lords and chieftains of the Sil-Murray, by Con, the son of Teige Mac Branain, who had submitted to him some time before.” &c.
Sean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add to the post by Paul B and on behalf of the good and great Miss Mary Carlos who tried to educate me through High School in Strokestown (Scoil Mhuire) that Paul's quote from Fr. Sharkey's book originated with the wonderful Dr. John O'Donovan (1806 - 1861) who was a member of the RIA. Dr. O'Donovan was probably Ireland's greatest antiquarian and he certainly had the liveliest writing style. Miss Carlos was a little partial to one of her Duffy students; no harm, we understood. It's now 50 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: