Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Farrells and Flynns in Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneduffy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Farrells and Flynns in Roscommon Reply with quote

April 12, 2007

I am looking for additional information about any of the following relatives. Bernard Farrell is my great-grandfather, born about 1866-7 in Roscommon.

In the “Vital Records Index – British Isles” I found Bernard Farrell and his siblings listed with parents named Jacobi Farrell and Judith Flyn. The information came from Roman Catholic records that were recorded in Dysart, Roscommon.

Their children are:

Joannem - christened February 4, 1851 (John?, believed to have stayed in Ireland and has decendants in Ballinasloe Galway. One of his daughters, Annie (Collins), who was born in 1888 came to the US and died in 1984)

Mariam - christened July 10, 1853 (may have died young)

Jacobum - christened June 12, 1858 (James?)

Annam - christened July 14 1860 (stayed in Ireland)

Maria - born August 22, 1863, christened September 5, 1963 (Mary? Came to US, married Michael J. McCormick in Boston in 1888 and died in Brockton, Massachusetts.)

Bernardus - born June 14, 1866, christened June 23, 1866 (Bernard? came to USA via Canada and died in 1918 in Boston, Massachusetts.

According to an entry in the Church of the Latter Day Saints Library database, Judith Flyn was born about 1830, Roscommon + Kilteevan and Jacobi Farrell was born about 1828, Roscommon + Kilteevan. The person who added this data to the database is no longer available to contact as to her source of this data.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne,
Three Farrell are listed at Griffith's Valuation in Dysart (Ballyforan) RC parish, including James in Derrycahill townland.

Also Five Flynn including John listed in Derrycahill townland

Derrycahill is in Dysart Civil parish.
xxxx
Look at Farrell in Derrycahill townland at the 1901 Census on this webpage. Your Judith may be listed as Julie age 70– Son John is listed age 50. Looks like your family.

Look at Flynn Derrycahill at the 1901 Census

From The Resource County Roscommon CD
O/S Map no. 47&50
Area in Acres 501
Townland Derrycahill
Barony Athlone
Civil Parish Dysart
Poor Law Union Athlone
Registrar's District Brideswell
Poor Law or District Electoral Division (DED) Dysart
Likely Catholic Parish (and Diocese) Ballyforan (E)
Continuing Valuations LDS film 867936
LDS Griffiths Valuation film #(+ valuation year) 844992 Item 4 (1855)
Griffith's Valuation page number 65
Number of occupiers at Griffith's Valuation 32
Number of House -holders at 1901 Census 34
LDS Tithe Applotment microfilm (+ year)6607 (1834)

See my recent posts on using LDS films.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The BIVRI show both baptism and civil registration for Michael. Note mother is entered as Julie in baptismal register.

If you look at the civil birth register it will show townland of birth and father's occupation.

FARRELL, Michael Birth
Birth Date: 18 Aug 1869 Birthplace:11, Brideswell, Ros, Ire
Recorded in: Roscommon, Ireland
Collection: Civil Registration
Father: James FARRELL
Mother: Judith FLYNNE
Source: FHL Film 101192 Dates: 1869 – 1870

FARRELL, Michael Christening
Birth Date: 18 Aug 1869
Christening Date: 4 Sep 1869 Recorded in: Dysart, Roscommon, Ireland
Collection: Roman Catholic
Father: Jacobi FARRELL
Mother: Julianae FLYNN
Source: FHL Film 989755 Dates: 1850 – 1881

Xxxxx
11, Brideswell means page 11 of the Civil Birth Register for Brideswell Registrar’s District. The table above shows the registrar’s district for Derrycahill townland.

There are 118 townlands in Brideswell Registrar's district.

John
anneduffy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John,

I am dumbfounded! I don't know why I never saw your reply until today, but I DIDN'T. My sister in Virginia started talking to me today on the phone about some of the things you wrote and I kept listening to her, trying to make sense of it. Finally, I asked "What are you talking about???" She still assumed I had read your message and kept referring to the details. At last, I told her to stop and tell me what she was referencing and eventually we both understood. She had "googled" something like "michael farrell and roscommon" and found your message, and assumed I had read it!

So... thank you for your most thoughtful reply and all of the great information to follow-up with. Since April, I have learned more and more about doing "proper" research and when I get stuck (or confused) I have an experienced friend to help me out.

Right now I am planning a trip to Boston to do more digging for records and in October I am going to Ireland. Do you have any thoughts on how to find living descendants of John Farrell, other than sending a letter at all of the Farrell families currently residing in these areas. Are you a former resident?

Thank again for all of your assistance and expertise... Anne
John Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne,
Look in the telephone book for the nearest LDS Family History Library or visit www.familysearch.org/ and search there.

I suggest your first move is to view the birth registration page 11 of LDS film 101192. It will show the townland of birth and father’s occupation. Then look at the Ireland Residental telephone book on the internet for Farrell’s in the townland listed on the birth certificate. Telephone a Farrell resident and ask for the name/address of the local Farrell historian. It might work. If you write you may not get a response. Another option is to write a “missing ancestors” letter to the three Roscommon newspapers. It might get printed - someone might reply.

Brideswell Registrar’s District includes townlands from many Civil parishes, including:
Taghboy
Taghmaconnell
Drum
Cam
Dysart
Kiltoom
St. Peter's

And the following Catholic parishes:
Taghmaconnell (C)
Athlone (E)
Ballyforan (E)
Kiltoom and Cam (E)

Very important to check FHL Film 101192 soon.

The baptismal entry will show the name of Witnesses – mostly family members. Worth a look. LDS Film 989755.

Visit a County library when in Roscommon and ask to see the “Resource County Roscomm 2007” CD.

John
anneduffy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I finally received the LDS film 101192 and found the record for Michael Farrell. It noted his father as James and he was a farmer. He's my great-uncle...

I also called many of the Farrells in Ballinasloe area (because I found a woman who said she had been told that that was where our descendant live. As a result, I mailed off a package and letter to an Anthony Lynch. However, it still has not been delivered after two weeks (it was guaranteed 2 day delivery). I talk to Fed-Ex everyday now...

Then on September 20, a descendant of this Farrell family died in Boston and after years of trying to find her (she was in a nursing home), I now have the names of her siblings and children (obituary information). The siblings were all born in Ireland, children of Ellen Lynch, the woman who was 2 years old in the 1901 census, living with her grandmother "Julie". I have written to the deceased's daughter and have a second cousin who lives in Boston who is going to call her. So, in spite of Fed-Ex, I may have found a living link for my trip to Ireland on October 8.

So, tell me more about the CD at the library in Roscommon. Anything that might help me find out more on Julia Flynn and James Farrell? There was info on the LDS IGI indicating they were born and married in Roscommon+Kilteevan. I got this film from LDS and found they were born before the records started and the pages of the marriage register were unreadable. I'll look at the film again at the National Library in Dublin and hope I can find something. I suppose I can also check out the church itself.

Also, I may not have told you but, I found a third cousin in Boston who had found many of the Farrell descendants, the majority of them settling in Boston area (where my father was born and raised.) (I live in Wisconsin...)

Thanks! Anne
John Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne,
You wrote that you had looked at LDS film 101192 and found the record for Michael Farrell.

The main reason for looking at the film was to:
note the townland of birth,
the fathers occupation and
any other details.

Did you find this information?

If you know the townland you can easily locate the Catholic parish, and find details of the change of occupiers of the land from c1855 to c1920 or later.

The Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD was launched at an official Irish Heritage Week function in the Roscommon County Library on 28 August 2007. It can be examined at any public library in County Roscommon. It is stocked by all Roscommon booksellers.

For details of the Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD visit http://www.gould.com.au/Resource-County-Roscommon-2007-p/hun005.htm

John
anneduffy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

The film said that the birth occurred in Derrycahill, his father James was a farmer. Actually it says Derrycahill, with Dysart below that in the far left column under the date. The other information I knew already, like the name of his mother.

I believe that the RC parish is Dysart and Tissara. I have a book on Irish records by James Ryan that says the dates of the records:

Earliest: b. 7.1850 (two registers); m. 12.1862; d. 12.1862
Missing dates: d. ends 1.1867

It says it has been indexed by the Roscommon Heritage Genealogical Society.

What do you mean by changes in the occupiers of the land?

I'll check out the CD... Anne
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne,
From the Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD:

Catholic parochial records:
Dysart and Tisara 1850 - 1881, LDS film 989755

LDS British Isles Vital Records set of 16 CDs
Dysart (C) 1850-1881 - (M) 1862-1881;
Tisara (C) 1865-1871 - (M) 1865-1871

Details for Derycahill townland:
Townland: Derrycahill
Barony : Athlone
Civil Parish: Dysart
Poor Law Union: Athlone
Registrar's District: Brideswell
District Electoral Division (DED): Dysart
Catholic Parish (and Diocese): Ballyforan (E) AKA Dysart, Tissara and Taughboy
LDS Continuing Valuations film: 867936

Griffith’s Valuation of Derrycahill. 27 persons including the following were joint occupiers of 437 Acres of land
Farrell, Patrick
Farrell, James
Flynn. John

Change of occupiers of land:
Continuing Valuations LDS FHL microfilm number.
Because of the devastating loss of Census Returns, the Irish researcher uses various "Census substitutes" viz., the Continuing Valuation Lists, Tithe Applotment Books and Griffith’s Primary Valuation. These records span the years from the 1820's to the 1960's.

The FHL have microfilmed the original Cancelled Land Books, or Cancellation Books, which trace the tenancy of land from the time of the final Griffith's Valuation to the 1960's in some cases.

The microfilms can be an extremely valuable resource despite the fact that some entries were made in coloured ink that does not show on the black and white microfilm. Details of the Poor Law Electoral Division for the townland being researched are needed to identify the Family History Library (FHL) microfilm of the original records held at the Valuation Office, Dublin. The books can be very useful in pinpointing a possible date of death or emigration, or in identifying a living relative as the succession dates often mark some significant event, such as death, a marriage, a serious illness, or emigration.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: