Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

McGurn and variants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Parker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: McGurn and variants Reply with quote

I am researching my McGurn family who went over to Liverpool before 1841. I have found some of the on the 1841 census of England,

CHRISTOPHER McGURN b 1814 Leitrim and his wife MARY GORMLY b 1820 Roscommon and their son CHARLES b 1838 Leitrim are shown living in Liverpool.

In the 1851 census they have DANIEL McGURN b 1809 brother and BRIDGET McBRIDE sister living with them. Bridget married in Liverpool in July 1851 WILLIAM LLOYD and having obtained the marriage certificate for this wedding I found she gave her name as BRIDGET McGURN and fathers name PHILIP McGURN.

I believe that CHRISTOPHER, DANIEL and BRIDGET may have had a brother JOHN who went to Canada then onto the US as there is a CHRISTOPHER JOHN b 1866 who lived in Michigan.

Christopher and Philip appear to be family names and I haven't noticed them very often in other Irish families.

Variants I have found of the McGURN spelling have been - McGRURER, McGORRIN, McGWIN and McGORN.

Am trying to find where in Leitrim the family came from.
Any help much appreciated

Jean
Tom Coughlan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Mcgurn name Reply with quote

MacLysaght's "Surnames of Ireland" mentions that (Mac) Curreen and Curren are from old Gaelic name MacCorraidhín, and that it was mainly found in Leitrim. It is now found mostly as MacGurrin. It also may have become both Curran and Crean in some cases. He also says the South Down name MacKiverkin is used synonymously with MacCurreen. Following the establishment of the Orange ORder, there was a significant exodus from Down and Armagh to parts of Connaught, including Leitrim and Sligo, from that part of the country. These then are other variants that might be of use to you.

Tom
Jean Parker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: McGurn and variants Reply with quote

Thanks Tom
This gives me other names to check as I hadn't realised these Irish variants could also match.

Jean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: