Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Townlands of Tawnagh More and Tooman on Tithe Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Coughlan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Townlands of Tawnagh More and Tooman on Tithe Books Reply with quote

I've been unable to find the above 2 townlands on the Tithe Applotment Books for Cloone, although both are in Cloone Civil Parish. Perhaps they were not included. Perhaps they were included under another civil parish? Or were included under other names or as subparts of other townlands? Any leads appreciated.

Many thanks.

Tom
Andrew Garrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with the specifics of Cloone parish, but I had the same problem in Killinvoy parish (Longnamuck TL). I found the relevant entries included under the neighbouring townland.

The Griffiths valuators used the new "standard" townlands from 1851. The people doing the Tithe Books seem to have been local people, and called the townlands whatever the landlord called them (no doubt they got much of the information from them).

While it isn't 100% reliable, I found I could confirm this by comparing the acreage of the townlands in Griffiths and the equivalent acreage of the townlands in the Tithe Books. You have to allow for the fact the Tithe books are in Irish Acres and the Griffiths survey is in Statute Acres (ratio of 31:49, with each Irish Acre being bigger). In fact, I even found I could correlate quite a few of the individual holdings this way. Apparently, names change in 30 years, but the size of the fields doesn't!

Hope that helps
Andrew Garrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with the specifics of Cloone parish, but I had the same problem in Killinvoy parish (Longnamuck TL). I found the relevant entries included under the neighbouring townland (Galey).

The Griffiths valuators used the new "standard" townlands from 1851. The people doing the Tithe Books seem to have been local people, and called the townlands whatever the landlord called them (no doubt they got much of the information from them).

While it isn't 100% reliable, I found I could confirm this by comparing the acreage of the townlands in Griffiths and the equivalent acreage of the townlands in the Tithe Books. You have to allow for the fact the Tithe books are in Irish Acres and the Griffiths survey is in Statute Acres (ratio of 31:49, with each Irish Acre being bigger).

So you may want to check for them under neighbouring townlands, especially those held by the same landlord.

Hope that helps
Tom Coughlan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

many thanks for the reply. I did carry out some cursory checks on adjoining townlands, but this was on a hit-and-miss basis. Now that you've confirmed a precedent, I'll try a more structured approach.

Tom.
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this question has come up before but I can't find where. All I can suggest is checking the tithe books for Mohill as both townlands adjoin that parish.
Tom Coughlan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, I think it may well come to that. From another tip I got today, it appears that there's at least one Mohill townland (Tamlaght More) on the Cloone Tithe books, so the reverse is very possible. If I manage to get a solution on this, I'll post here, as it could be of general use.

Tom
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I don't know where you are looking but for reference Susan Dailey has put images of the Cloone Tithe books on Pat Connor's site at

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irllet/records.htm
Tom Coughlan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved at last.

Leitrim County Library in Ballinamore holds copies of the Tithe Books for Leitrim, sorted into one book per Civil Parish. Though these appear to be paper printouts from microfilm, the Library has added its own index to the start of each book.
The missing Tooman townland is easily disposed of - the index for Cloone T.A.B. listingTooman under Thomond. There are 4 Thomonds, and I didn't check which one(s) might include Tooman.
Tawnagh More is more challenging! It's not referenced in the index to the Cloone T.A.B. But the Library has copies of O'Donovan's Name Books. O'Donovan's notes on Tawnagh More say it is "entered on the plan" as Tawlaghtmore, and records this is a known alternative name for the townland. This is also the name of a townland in Mohill C.P..
Back on the Cloone T.A.B. I found not Tawlaghmtore but Towlaghtmore, which would be pronounced much the same. Though I didn't find the name sought on Towlaghtmore Tithe page, there were two other names that were listed in Tawnagh More that also appear on Griffith: William Costello and MIchael Wisely. This is the only Wisely household shown in Leitrim on Griffith. I also know that Wiselys live today in Tawnaghmore. Overall then, I think it very likely that this entry of Towlaghtmore on the Tithe books is for what shortly afterwards became named as the townland of Tawnagh More.
As Jim Irvine pointed out, Pat COnnor's site on Rootsweb contains the Cloone Tithe book images. The Towlaghtmore URL : http://www.rootsweb.com/~irllet/records/167.JPG

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: