Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

McGurty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maureen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: McGurty Reply with quote

Anyone having any information or ideas regarding the McGurty name. The name was spelled this way in the messages posted by Irish to family and friends in The Pilot, a Boston newspaper.

My ancester was Owen McGurty. He posted the message to his sisters in 1847, and he was married to a Catharine.

Any info or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
roger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maureen:

Below are the only two McGurty records in the 1901 census data base.

Roger McDonnell

Farnaght Cloone Mohill Leitrim Household McGurty Mary (52) Housekeeper/widow Kate(18)-Owen(16)

Collooney Town Ballysadare Tirerrill Sligo Household McGurty Ellen(68)(imbecile) Charwoman/unmarried Margaret McDonagh(67) lodger/widow/beggar
fwdolan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maureen,

My ggf, Michael Dolan was married to Margaret McGourty in 1858. They lived in Altakeeran. There were other McGourtys around at the including Thomas who I believe was Margaret's father.

The four listings below were copied from an index of Griffiths in 1856 for the parish of Oughterragh in Leitrim.
(http://www.failteromhat.com/leitrim.htm)

Mc Goorty Francis Gubnaveagh
Mc Goorty Patrick Altakeeran
Mc Goorty Thomas Altakeeran
Mc Goorty Thomas Ballynameeltoge

Frank
Maureen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, gentlemen. I meant to post a thank you long ago, but Frank's posting reminded me. So thank you!

I am most likely going to go back to Ireland for a visit in 2008. Having as little information as I do, would any of you have 1 or 2 or 3 top suggestions for looking for family? Although I did hear of some happy success stories from people who walked through a parish knocking on doors (!) I don't think I can be that intrusive. But you never know.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maureen,
Have you any reason to believe the family came from Leitrim or Roscommon?

Do you know the names of Thomas’ sisters?

Do you know the names and birth order of Thomas’ children?

Don’t be set on the spelling of a surname

The following was extracted in part from the Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD.

1749 Census of Elphin Diocese
Surname, Civil parish, Barony
McGrourke Ballynakill (Galway/Roscommon) Ballymoe
McGrourke Baslick Castlereagh
McGrourke Kilbegnet (Galway/Roscommon) Ballymoe
McGrourke Kilkeevin Castlereagh
McGrourke Shancough (Sligo) Tirerrill
McGrourke Tibohine Frenchpark
McGruvy Kilbryan Boyle

Griffith’s Valuation c1855
Surname, Given, Civil parish
Grorke Thomas Oran Turksland
Grourke Edward Tibohine Cuiltyboe
Grourke James Kilkeevin Creggameen
Grourke John Kilkeevin Arm
Grourke John Tibohine Cuiltyboe
Grourke Martin Kiltullagh Gorteenacammadil
Grourke Michael Tibohine Cartron More
Grourke Michael Tibohine Cartron More
Grourke Michael Ballynakill Corbally and Slieve
Grourke Michael Ballynakill Slieve and Corbally
Grourke Peter Tibohine Clerragh
Grourke Richard Kilkeevin Creggameen
Grourke Richard Kilkeevin Creggameen
Grourke Stephen Kiltullagh Gorteenacammadil
Grourke Stephen Kiltullagh Gorteenacammadil
Grourke Thomas Tibohine Cartron More
Grourke Thomas Tibohine Cartron More

1901 Census
Townland, Civil parish, Surname, Given
Clooninisclin Kiltullagh Groark Michael(62)
Carrowkeel Rahara Groark Ellen(60)
Carrowkeel Rahara Groark John(33)
Clerragh Tibohine Groark John(62)
Gorteenacammadil Kiltullagh Groarke John(51)
Gorteenacammadil Kiltullagh Groarke Patrick(67)
Gorteenacammadil Kiltullagh Groarke Thomas(55)
Ballyglass West Tibohine Groarke Michael(52)
Cartron More Tibohine Groarke Margaret(50)
Cartron More Tibohine Groarke Patrick(37)
Cloonmullin Tibohine Groarke John(54)
Cuiltyboe Tibohine Groarke Maria(45)
Lissergool Tibohine Groarke Edward(59)
Parkeel Tibohine Groarke John(55)
Parkeel Tibohine Groarke James(64)
Look for Groarke and Groark in other occupiers column at 1901 census

Marriage from LDS British Isles Vital Records Index
MAY, Hubertus Marriage
Wife: Margarita GROARKE
Marriage Date: 8 Feb 1866 Recorded in: Killinvoy and killmain, Roscommon, Ireland
Collection: Roman Catholic
Husband's Father: Michaelis MAY
Husband's Mother: Annae HIGGINS
Wife's Father: Patritii GROARKE
Wife's Mother: Brigidae MULLOWNY
Source: FHL Film 989752 Dates: 1860 – 1881

An Irish research plan is directly dependent on the amount and specificity of the information available. Every effort should be expended toward identifying the exact location, i.e. the name of the townland or parish of the immigrant ancestor. In order to accomplish this goal, one must first search the “New Country (US, Canadian, UK or Australian) sources”. These include a study of all the personal or family, civil, ecclesiastical, LDS (FHL), and other library data available, with an emphasis on localising the family's place of origin in Ireland. Only after exhaustive work in the foregoing areas should the Irish sources be consulted. (Source: Dr. James Small, noted US genealogist. 1988).

xxxxx
Maybe you should research the family in the US before proceeding further.

John
Maureen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, John. Thank you for the reply.

I did not mention a "Thomas"; that must have been in one of the other respondents' replies.

I have been researching the McGurty name for quite some time. The problem is that my branch of the family was very small, and I can find no records of any McGurty ancestors past Owen and Catherine McGurty in Cole County, IL, who were born about 1820 and emigrated to the US about 1847. As I mentioned in my first message, Owen placed an ad in The Pilot in Boston, looking for his sisters. What I didn't mention was that he listed Leitrim as his home county.

There are McGurtys in the U.S., but I have chosen not to call strangers "out of the blue".

As for your suggestion that I "maybe...research the family in the U.S. before proceeding further," please try to remember that people may not have any written (or oral) records, parish records, family bibles, etc., and their surname has not shown up in the LDS records. Often, in these cases, simply asking a question on a bulletin board can bring about a connection.

Thanks again for sharing the McGrourke information.

Cordially,
Maureen
Nuala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

The following are the two entries as they appeared in the Boston Pilot, Official Newspaper of the (Catholic) Archdiocese of Boston.
"Of CECILIA MCGURTY, aged 14 years, and her sister, Margaret, aged 12 years, daughters of Thady McGurty, of Derrintiguero, near Drumshanbo, co. Leitrim. They arrived at Quebec, July, 1847, in the ship Lady Milton, from Liverpool. It is supposed they are in the care of some Catholic clergyman in Lower Canada. Any information of them will be thankfully received by writing to the Rev. Mr. McMahon, Quebec, - or their brother, Owen McGurty, Utica, Oneida County, N. Y."
(see MCGURTY, MARGARET and SCISLY, 11/18/4Cool.

"Of MARGARET and SCISLY MCGURTY. Their father, Thady is deceased. Any information of them, dead or alive, will be gratefully received by Owen McGurty, Utica, N. Y." (see MCGURTY, CECILIA, 10/21/4Cool

As we can see these ads are loaded with valuable information, and many clues to further research. (Wish I was this lucky with my gang!).

A) In the U.S. 1850 Census, Owen is listed as Owen McGarty, age 28 (b. abt. 1822) in Utica Ward 1, Oneida, NY.

B) A search of the L-R townland database and a little creative parameters, indicate that the spelling of the townland in the ad most likely should be DERRYTEIGEROE, in Kiltoghert Civil Parish, Carrick-on-Shannon PLU.

C) Parochial registers of Kiltoghert (Leitrim), 1826-1891 Baptisms, 1826-1891; marriages, 1841-1891; deaths, 1841-1879 FHL BRITISH Film #1279223 Items 4 - 5

D) Owen McGOORTY is listed in Derryteigeroe Griffith's Valuation as is a Charley McGoorty in Greaghnaguillaun. Most likey a relative of the Owen that emigrated.

And so on, etc. This is a 15 minute search sitting at my home computer, so I would think Maureen has many options to pursue. As you say many times, John, "don't get hung up on the spelling of a name".

Maureen, have a lovely time in Ireland. I love my home country, but it is way easier to do family research in North America than in Ireland.

Regards
Nuala
Maureen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuala,

Thank you so much for your reply. I was amazed at what you found in the Boston Pilot, because I spent well more than 15 minutes looking for more information after finding the index card in The Pilot.

May I ask where you found the Boston Pilot blurb with that much detail?

I will enjoy my trip, as I have in the past. It is not dependent on my having any information at all.

I appreciate your gracious reply. Good luck with your gang.

Maureen
Nuala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maureen,

Glad you checked the board and received the info. Source for the Pilot.
"The Search for Missing Friends" Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in "The Boston Pilot" 1831-1920, Author: Ruth Ann M. Harris, B. Emer O'Keefe, editors, published on CD 2002 by the New England Historic Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116-3007
I purchased it at one of the FGS conferences a number of years ago and it is fascinating browsing, but I didn't have any of my relatives on it.
If your have any other relatives that might have had an ad in it, I would be pleased to do a look-up for you and pass it on.
A lot of research has been done on the famine children that came to Canada, but it is outside my area of research, however I do know that the Catholic Church promised that the children would be allowed to retain their Irish names even if they were adopted by Canadian families. There is an 1851 Census of Canada and the younger girl would only be about 17 and possibly not married. It is available online, but I would have to check to see what site. Let me know if you need that.

Now, Owen McGurty mentioned in the ad. that the children were in the care of "Mr" (whatever), which might indicate Protestant clergy.

Regards
Nuala
Maureen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Nuala. Thanks once again for the information and the offer to help.

The Internet has been a blessing to me. Do you belong to an organization that has resources and holds conferences like the one "FGS" you mentioned?

As to your offer, I have recently focused on two -- Edward and Mary Dougherty. Recently, I found mention of them in an obit about their daughter, Margaret, who ended up in Charleston, Coles County, Illinois, and married John, the son of Owen and Catherine McGurty. They were referred to as "early settlers" of Illinois. So I have been entering Dougherty and McMahan into the Pilot (and talking to librarians in Illinois) and found names, but have not followed up on all of them.

Again, thank you for the author's address, and YES I would like the name of the site for access to the Canadian censuses. I assume they are also on Ancestry.com?

I really like to do the research, but in regard to my trip back to Ireland, I think I was just asking people who had been "do you have any suggestions for me while I am there?"

I know you are busy with your own lines, so thank you so much for your help.

Best wishes,
Maureen[/u]
Maureen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, Nuala, I don't want to leave the impression that I haven't found anything on the Dougherty side. For instance, there is a marriage record for John McGurty and "Maggie Daugherty" in 1889, which I believe is my Margaret.
But I thought I'd find a load of info on her parents after reading they were "early settlers", and instead found very little more. :)
mdurkin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Magourty's in Derryteigeroe Reply with quote

Hi Maureen and Nuala,

Thanks for posting this information.

I have a great-great-grandfather listed in a marriage record as Eugene Magourty in Derrintuigue, Leitrim. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that townland was Derryteigeroe. I also found some message boards which stated that Eugene was one way that Owen was translated from Gaelic (Eoghan) into English.

Maureen, were you ever able to find out if this Owen Magourty is the one in your tree? If so, then I think we are distantly related. The only thing that concerns me is the immigration. I have Bridget Magourty, daughter of Eugene/Owen born around 1838-1841 (1901 census gives her age as 60, 1911 gives her age as 73). I would assume that Eugene/Owen would have been in Leitrim at that time.

Let me know what you think.

-Mike Durkin
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ages of many females increased by 15-20 years in the 10 years between the 1901 and 1911 census, due to the Irish Old Age Pension being introduced in 1908.

Have you read the poem – “Round the Boree Log” by John O’Brien. (available from Amazon). It includes a great poem about “The Durkins”.
mdurkin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Magourty's in Derryteigeroe Reply with quote

John,

Interesting. Considering that the 1911 census would make her 70 years old in 1908, I bet she did adjust her age by a couple of years. Of course she may not have known her exact age and the 1901 census is probably an estimate.

I can't say that I've read that book or poem. I should look into that. I'm also not aware of any of my Durkin relatives in Australia, but then again I really don't know much about my family from before my grandparents.

-Mike Durkin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: