Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Cloonagh House, Co Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOUGHREE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Cloonagh House, Co Roscommon Reply with quote

Hello Listers,

I am trying to find the original owners of a "Big House" called Cloonagh House, in the former parish of Taghboy, Co Roscommon. It apprently had a seat, I assume for the House of Lords, but can find nothing mentioned.

I am ideally trying to find an original back and white picture.

There where two other houses nearby, Claremont House in Ballyforan and Turrock House just up the road, both with seats.

A possible surname may have been Ffrench, but I can find no exact reference.

I hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

Regards

Loughree
Nuala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loughree,

I believe the name you are looking for is FALLON. "A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain"bySir Bernard Burke, 1863 states: Rodric O'Connor of Ballycahir, the eldest son of Major Owen O'Connor, m, Mary, dau. of John Fallon, Esq. of Cloonagh, co Roscommon, one of the descendants of The O'Fallons, formerly chiefs of a territory called "O'Fallon's Country", and Elizabeth Irwin, his wife, and d. at Ballycahir, 7 February 1781 leaving issue three sons and two dau.

Do a Google search in Books for a few more references, particulary Parlimentary Papers.

Regards
Nuala

PS Haven't forgotten the other topic.
Norma Healy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loughree
I have a book titled "The History of Tisrara" and theres an article in it on " Rev Dr James O Fallon " who lived in Cloonagh House .. It includes some information about the family and a good drawing of the house and also a Fallon coat of arms..

Theres also a very detailed article written on the Parish of Ballyforan

Norma
John Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A HISTORY OF TISRARA"
Tisrara is a parish in the southern region of Co. Roscommon bordering on Co. Galway. The History, published in 1997, is by the Tisrara Heritage Society under the leadership of the energetic Rev. Francis M. Beirne, Parish Priest, Church of the Good Shepherd, Four Roads. The scope of the History is comprehensive. To illustrate: there are 63 sections or chapters each on a different aspect by 37 different authors and with an estimated 310 illustrations. It begins with messages from the President of Ireland and the Bishop of Elphin and ends with lists of people in the parish as recorded in censuses of the 1700s and 1800s. It has an often too rare combination of attributes in addition to its comprehensiveness in that it is well-balanced, well-written, and clearly expertly-edited.

Suggest you write to Fr. francis Beirne at the above address.
Please include an international reply coupon.
John
LOUGHREE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Cloonagh House, Taghboy Parish, Co Roscommon Reply with quote

Hello,

I am only after getting the messages now,

Thank you very much indeed, it seems to be the lead I was looking for.

I know by 1858, and 1901 and 1911 the house was lived in by a John Bayley/Bayly/Bailey and his wife, but appears possible to have been owned by a Sir Frederick Trench, along with Carrowntarriff Townland and Lisbaun in Kiltoom.

I will see if I can buy a copy of the book.

Regards

Loughree.

Last edited by LOUGHREE on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: