Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

gilhooly in kilronan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: gilhooly in kilronan Reply with quote

merry christmas everybody,
i have just recently found out from the roscommon heritage and genealogy company that my family of gilhoolys came from kilronan, co-longford. the problem is that i cant find a kilronan parish/district in co-longford. have they made a mistake? if so has anybody looked at the kilronan parish records in co-roscommon, or has access, if you have could you check a baptismal record for mary kilooly, born 30-12-1844, rc, father, patrick, mother catherine mcmanus. thanx in anticipation. john gilhooly.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a huge number of postings on this website for Gilhooly.
There is a Kilronan Civil parish in County Roscommon. It has the same boundaries as Kilronan Catholic parish.

There is another Civil parish named Kilronan in County Waterford.
The Catholic baptisms and marriages for Kilronan Catholic parish are on LDS film Keadue, Arigna & Ballyfarnan 1824 - 1984 film 1279224 items 7-12. For details of the films visit www.familysearch.ord > Library > Library Catalogue > keyword search > enter Kilronan Catholic.

The above search will also show “Where rests our Genesis : an historical note on the noble and ancient clan McManus of North Roscom mon, Ireland, together with nominal references from five Catholic Parish es: Aghanagh, Ardcarne and Tumna, Boyle and Kilbryan, Kilronan, and Killukin and Kilumod McManus, Rose. This might be of interest.

For the 1901 Census, the Civil parish map and the complete 1855 Griffith’s Valuation for Kilronan Civil parish visit www.leitrim-roscommon.com
For the c1833 Tithe Applotment for Kilronan Civil parish see LDS film 256652
Once you locate the townland you can trace the change of occupiers of land from c1855 to c1920.
Happy Christmas,
John
Ann

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Kilooly/McManus Reply with quote

Hi John.
Found these 2 items in the Kilronan Church Records for Roscommon. My research is there so I have accumulated a lot of records from there.

2/9/1844 Patrick Kilooly married Catherine McManus...witnesses were John Mulheeran and Brigida Lavin
12/30/1844 Mariam born to Patrick Kilooly and Catherine McManus godparents were Patrick McManus and Brigida Lavin

no townland appeared on these early entries i looked in later years for other children but found none.

Hope this helps.
Ann
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much , john and ann for you help.i now know that my family came from kilronan, yippee!!!! 8 years of searching.but i would like to find out which townland they came from, i suppose my next move would be to look at the tithe records, i would need to know in exactly which year they were recorded for kilronan. the afforementioned patrick would be born about 1817, so he could be too young to be recorded on the tithe? then it must be his father john.is there any other way of pinpointing their whereabouts? all the best john gilhooly..have a happy new year everybody
Nuala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, Don't want to put a damper on things, but what other sources do you have to prove that this Mary is the correct one. Is this what the Heritage Centre told you, or did you supply them with some info?
mary kilooly, born 30-12-1844, rc, father, patrick, mother catherine mcmanus Do you know of any siblings?

Also on the partial database for Kilronan Parish on this site, the McManus & Gilhooly families both show up in Srananooan townland. It might be a starting point.

Good luck
Nuala
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello nuala, thanks for your interest,i got my information online, it seemed to fit in quite well with my research in scotland. the 1851 cencus for scotland has them in dumfries, maxwelltown. patrick, his wife cath mcmanus , mary age 6, and john age 5, have not found his birth/baptismal record, and eliz age 2, mary was born in ireland, john and eliz born in dumfries. although the later cencus states ireland for john? do you have a gilhooly in your tree, if so tell us about it. all the best, john gilhooly.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distribution of Surnames 1749 - 1901 - Kilronan Civil parish - quantity

Surname Gilhooley Gilhooly Gillhooly Gillooly Gilluly Gilooly Killuly
1833 Tithe 0 T 0 0 T 0 T

1858 Griffith's Valuation 0 27 0 0 6 0 1

1901 Census main occupier 3 15 1 5 0 0 0

1901 Census other occupiers 0 5 0 0 0 1 0

LDS 1833 Tithe film # 256652
Nation Library Ireland Tithe film # 87 - tab number 5/1
Extracted from Part L of Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD

As a guess it will take about an hour to check either of the two readily available Tithe Applotment microfilms and determine the townland. The data has been filmed by Civil parish and then by townland.

jph
Ann

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Me again!

On the Tithe records for Kilronan taken in June of 1835 I see the three family names of Gilhooly, McManus and Lavin in the townland of Derrynisky.
Thomas Gilhooly is the Gilhooly listed. Are you certain that Patrick's father was John??
Ann
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for your lookup ann, patrick died in 1862 in dumfries, it stated on his death certificate that his father was john-dead. his mother mary carnan-dead. i havent found many carnans so i thought that it could be something that sounds like it; kiernan or keirnan for instance. there is no parents mentioned on the death certificate of catherine mcmanus. her son in law george richardson the man who married mary kilooly 1844 was the witness. ps i also have the marriage cert for patrick and catherine , married feb 1844 in kilronan, witness; john mulheeran and bridget lavin. do you have access to the tithe records for kilronan? hear from you soon, john.

Last edited by gilhoolyjohn on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ann

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

i do have xerox copies made when I reviewed the film in my family history center. In the townland of Carrownanalt....I have to check spelling on this......there is a john and patrick listed together.
Ann
Ann

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spelling is Carrownanalt
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ann, can you tell me is that the only john that is listed in the tithes for kilronan, and is there any carnan or kiernan nearby.
Ann

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
That was the only John listed.
In the townland of Lugaboy a Patrick and Widow Anna Gilhooly were listed. In the same townland was a Patrick Kiernan.

Ann
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everybody, i have ordered the tithes and the parish records through the lds and will be visiting dublin on the 4th of feb 2008 to see if i can find anything in the estate records, is there anything else i should be looking at concerning kilronan ? if i have the time i will also visit kilronan. thanx everybody, john gilhooly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: