Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Patrick Gately

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Gately

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Patrick Gately Reply with quote

Hi

I am trying to kickstart my family tree research which has hit a dead end in Ireland.

My great-great-great grandfather Patrick Gately was born in Roscommon in 1796 and transported to Australia in 1821 on the second voyage of the ship John Barry. He married Mary Clogher (or Cloghen) in 1837 in Sydney. She was also a native of Roscommon, born in 1815, who worked as a housemaid/nursemaid and was transported on the Roslin Castle in 1836 after being convicted of house robbery. Their son John was born in July 3, 1846 - the same day Patrick received his full pardon.

If anyone knows anything of Patrick's family or of any records in Roscommon that would be of use I'd appreciate their help.

Thanks
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at some on my earlier posts on the need to provide details if you want answers.

I assume you live in Australia. All the Australian State Libraries hold copies of the Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD. Part L of the CD lists the distribution of the surname Gately in County Roscommon from 1749 to 1901.

The following websites may be of interest:
http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/convicts.htm
zzzzzzz
http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/cgi-bin/db/search.cgi?query=roscommon&stpos=0&stype=AND
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?simpleSearchSbm=true&category=18&searchDescTxt=roscommon&simpleSearchSbm=Search
zzzzzzzzzzz
Following extracted from the Terry Eakin’s “All Ireland Sources Newsletter March 2005”.
http://www.sag.org.au/aisnltrs/AISN0703.pdf
‘ALL IRELAND SOURCES’ NEWSLETTER File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Quote In the Freeman’s Journal issue dated 7 March 1820, page 3, columns 1 – 3, I found a Roscommon Assizes. trial of nine persons which took ...
www.sag.org.au/aisnltrs/AISN0703.pdf -
However I found using the search function much easier and rewarding. I put in Mannion (a surname) and then looked at each reference. In the Freeman’s Journal issue dated 7 March 1820, page 3, columns 1 – 3, I found a Roscommon Assizes trial of nine persons which took place on 02 March 1820 with the newspaper story heading titled “The Ribbonmen” . On trial were Matthew Mannion, Patrick Gately, Bryan Hardiman, Thomas Maguire, Thomas Bryan, Michael Costello, John White, Patrick Mullagy and Patrick Rochford. All were found guilty and Matthew Mannion was sentenced capitally and the other eight were sentenced to transportation. The group of eight all arrived at Port Jackson (New South Wales) by July 1820. This trial and these ‘convicts’ will be further explored later this year by Perry McIntyre and myself. So you can see how fruitful it will be to have The Freeman’s Journal newspaper 1763-1924 on line and word searchable at your local library (if they subscribe to the Irish Newspaper Archives) when it finally becomes available. unquote
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: