Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

George Murry, Moneymore, Kilmain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: George Murry, Moneymore, Kilmain Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for information on George Murry b. Abt 1833 in Moneymore, Kilmain, Roscommon. Married Margaret Mulligan, 30 March 1856 in Kilmain RC (FHL Film parochial Records Killinvoy, Kilmain and Rahara #989752).
Children: Henry bap 11 Apr 1857, married Mary Connaughton of Faranykelly, Athleague, Ros. 1904
Jacobum, bap 28 Mar 1859,
Mary Ann bap 30 Oct. 1864,
George b abt 1865, married Elizabeth Beirne in 1904, (have no birth or bap. records for this George, but on 1901 Census)
John b. 12 Aug 1867 and
Thomas b. 21 Dec 1871.
Henry, George and Thomas on 1901 Census with widow mother Margaret.
I am particularly looking for Jacobum and John. Did they die, marry, emigrate or join church?
This family still lives in Moneymore. George Murry's (1833) father was Henry Murry that is listed in Griffith's in Moneymore and having land in Cornamaddy, Kilmeane (Kilmain). The family thinks that Henry married Miss Siggins.
They are not listed in the Tithe Applotment, but there is 100 acres less between Tithe and Griffith's for Moneymore. Any ideas why?
Thanks so much. I learn something every time I log on.
Nuala
Nuala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry!
Henry, George, & Thomas are listed on 1901 Census, Moneymore with father George (1833) and mother Margaret, not widow.
Also there is a 5 year gap between Jacobum (bap 1859) and Mary Ann (b 1865), is there another child in here I haven't found yet.
Thanks
Nuala
John Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tithe Applotment was the Plantation or Irish acre, which differs in size from the Imperial or English acre, used in Griffiths Valuation. The ratio is 30.25 : 49. The different types of acres used in each will account for difference in size of land held by a family from one valuation to the other if they appear in both. For example, Killummod townland was 212 acres at Tithe Applotment and 348 acres at Griffiths Valuation. If you apply the ratio to Killummod townland you'll get a small variance which could be attributed to the accuracy of the surveyors.
From the Resource County Roscommon 2007 CD.
Change of occupiers of land 1856 to c1920:
Moneymore LDS film 868118
Cornamaddy LDS film 868118

Both townland now in the present Catholic parish of Knockcrogherty

1911 Census both townlands are listed on LDS film 2193059 Item 1
Suggest you look again at the 1901 Census, including other occupiers, for John Murray/Murry.
John
Nuala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, that was exactly the confirmation I needed on the differences of the acreage.
FHL Film # 868118 is on order.
Have #2193058 and #2193059. Will do a more careful analysis.

Thanks for the tip on "others enumerated". Didn't realize you could put full name in this box. John Murray enumerated in the William Martin household, Carrowphadeen, St. John's is interesting. I will look for a marriage for him and death of his wife.
I have looked at all the Murrays in the 1901 and can account for each family. Have traced the lineage back and connected them all to their respective Griffith's entries.
thanks again
Nuala
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: