Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Peter Leavy Bridget Leavy (Flanigan) Strokestown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noel Leavy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Peter Leavy Bridget Leavy (Flanigan) Strokestown Reply with quote

I am trying to get more information on my grandparents and details about their parents. Peter and Bridget lived in Strokestown and had a number of children named:

Noel (My dad)
William (Bill) Josephine
Oliver Kit
Tom Anne
Peter
Jerry
Michael
Johnny
Kieran
Patrick

This is not the full family there are more. I visited Strokestown a couple of years ago and met some of my Family (a 2nd Cousin Kieran great guy!) and also visited the Leavy pub. If anyone has any information about my Grandparents or indeed family it would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Noel Leavy

There is also a Peter Leavy and Sean leavy mentioned in
They Put The Flag a’Flyin by Kathleen Hegarty Thorne could they both be related to my Grandfather?
Mike Lennon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noel

Sean and Peter Leavy are connected with your family. Sean was father of your 2nd cousin, Kieran and Peter was his uncle. Therefore, Sean and Peter were 1st cousins of your father, and their father and your grandfather would have been brothers.

From the 1901 Census data on this site, there were only two Leavy families in County Roscommon:

Dooslattagh Kilglass Ballintober North Roscommon Household Leavy/Levy Bridget(60) farmer/widow Maria(24)

Treanacreeve Lissonuffy Roscommon Roscommon Household Leavy Thomas(50) farmer Mary Anne(35)-Bridget(9)-Peter(8)-William(7) deaf-Mary Ellen(5)-Anne(4)-John(2)-Margaret(3mo.)-Catherine(3mo.)-Bridget(38) sister/not married

It would appear that Bridget (aged 60 and a widow in 1901) of Doonstattagh was your grandmother, and all her children except for Maria had moved away from home. It would also appear that Thomas (50) of Treanacreeve was her brother-in-law. Thomas was the father of Peter (aged 8 in 1901) and Sean (aka John aged 2 in 1901).

Hopefully this information is helpful.

Mike Lennon
Editor of Kathleen Hegarty Thorne's They Put the Flag a-Flyin'
Noel Leavy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Thank you very much for your response. The detail is outstanding and it has put a few pieces of the jigsaw together. As a family we have always cherished our Irish family heritage.

There are plenty of us Leavy’s in the UK seem to all be related!

Thank you once again

Kind Regards

Noel Leavy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: