Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Townlands with similar names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Townlands with similar names Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone can give an opinion on this. I have posted on one or two other boards with little response.
A few weeks ago I had an amazing piece of luck. I entered some information on Ancestry and a family tree appeared which is a certain match for my mothers Irish relatives. Unfortunately the person who posted it has chosen not to make themselves contactable. Nonetheless I am very grateful for the information posted. (I actually managed to obtain my great grandparents and great great grandparents marriage details off the Irish Family History site (5 euros apiece) to find the marriage dates but otherwise little more useful info other than confirmation of place of marriage). All info posted on the family tree checks out.
Now the problem I have is regarding a place of birth for my great great grandma Margaret McHugh which is listed as Stradrima. This appears to be a townland but does not exist under that spelling. There are three likely ones, Sradrine, Sradrinan and possibly Sradrinagh. The most likely one in my opinion seems to be Sradrinagh as Margaret married Francis McGrail from Slievenakilla which is the next townland but one. Then again of course I could be completely wrong.
I would be interested to hear what anyone else thinks about this.

Last edited by Deirdre on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the website http://www.tellurian.net/mcgrail/records.html there are two records of births to a Francis McGreal and Margaret McHugh, both at Drumshanbo:

Michael born April 8th 1865 and Patrick born May 19th 1867.

Might these be yours? If so you should be able to find their birth records via the LDS libraries. They are pretty near the start of Irish Civil Registration so you may or may not be lucky enough to find the parents wedding but you will at least be able to get the place of birth.
Deirdre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Jim for that. It looks like those two children may be my great grandmas siblings. It gives me a bit more info to go on for further research.
Sadly the marriage does pre date civil registration as it took place in 1846. Margaret was only 20 then so it is possible civil registration spanned the youngest of a large family.
I remain hopeful that I may eventually make further links with others in the same tree. The Mcgrails/McGreals have a lot of info on various web sites.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Civil birth records for Michael and Patrick are listed in the IGI www.familysearch.org/
Enter first name surname and Ireland. Leave other spaces blank.
A check of the LDS film listed in IGI will show the townland of birth and occupation of father.
LDS films can be viewed worldwide at major Public Libraries and Family History centres.
Drumshanbo is the name of the Registrar’s District.
The 1901 Census on this website has an entry for your Francis and Margaret.
Check the “Resource County Leitrim” CD at your local library for list of LDS film numbers for the townlands quoted in your first post. (Also listed on eBay under Leitrim)
Have you viewed the parish maps on the map page of this website?
Have you viewed the Index to townlands on this website? Suggest you use the townland data to check 1854 Griffith’s Valuation microfiche available at most major public libraries.
John
Deirdre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, thankyou for that information.
Yes I did check the maps on this site and they were most helpful, in fact I printed them out so that I could locate the townlands better.
I also found the record on the 1901 census and they appear to be in the townland of Slievenakilla which checks out as this is the place of birth of Francis given on the Ancestry tree. I would infer from this and the census record that all of Francis' children were born in Slivenakilla.
Regarding Margarets place of birth yes I did look at the townland database on this site, in fact that is where I found the three possible matches. I have looked on Ancestry who now have an index for Griffiths and can only find records for Sradrine (Sradrinan and Sradrinagh do not show up on search) none of which is a McHugh. I also searched on McHugh for Leitrim county and nothing comes up that is a near match for that townland. The nearest broadly speaking is for the townland of Sranagarvanagh for Mary Myles and Patrick McHugh but I think that is too wide of the mark to be a correct match.
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have hit one of the sneakiest problems in Irish genealogy. The townland name you have been given, Sradrima (sp?) may be an old townland name.

Before Ireland was officially mapped in the 1830's by Ordnance Survey there were thousands more townlands than now. Many of these were joined together into larger units and it is these units that are, and were, used by officials up until today.

But in at least some cases - I can only speak for the area around Cloone, Leitrim - the old names continued to be used in many cases by the locals and by the local priests and even schools.

e.g. My mother lived in Cornagher townland, Cloone parish. That townland had originally been 3 townlands Cornagher, Moher and Meenaghan - my Mum coming from Moher. She started school in around 1927 and in the school registers she is recorded as coming from Moher not Cornagher. Even though Moher officially ceased to exist in the 1930's.

In the Cloone catholic parish registers which I am transcribing all the townlands given (up to 1870 so far) are the pre-1930's names.

I will contact my cousin in Ireland and ask her if she could look up one of the books of names which I know exist in the local library.
Deirdre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim that is a gem of a piece of information, thankyou again for that.
Any help/further information would be very gratefully received.
Someone has told me that if a townland has been transcribed as beginning with STRA then that is an English translation and it is truly SRA. That has been of little use to me but just thought I would add it for what its worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: