Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

griffiths maps and sketches of holdings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: griffiths maps and sketches of holdings Reply with quote

i have just ordered the griffiths valuation for kilronan, co-roscommon from the lds. would there be a detailed townland map and sketches of the holdings. if not where can i find these drawings of the holdings.
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly order maps of the Griffith's Valuation areas from the Valuation Office Dublin (I think it is www.valoff.ie or similar). These maps used to be in colour and were superb. They have now been digitised onto computer and come in mono. Price is around 20 euros per map which I believe are A3 - but don't quote me on that. I haven't seen these so can't vouch for the quality.

The holdings are numbered on the map to equal the numbers in the Valuation.

It used to be that you asked for a particular townland and they did a map centred on that townland. I don't know what happens now but I imagine it will be much the same.
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for you help jim. most appreciated.
Andrew Garrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option for seeing the Griffiths valuation and maps is the Irish Origins web-site. This gives you access to images of the printed valuation and also the related maps, marked up with the holding numbers.

It's a subscription site, but a 72 hour subscription is only about £5.00 / US $ 10.00. There are also monthly and yearly subscriptions. I use it all the time for searching Griffiths, because it's the only place online that you can see the maps as well as the lists of holdings.

It also has other useful stuff such as the full Elphin Census.

URL is

http://www.irishorigins.com/
Deirdre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently been given this wonderful link.

http://staging.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

You can search by name or (better option) townland.
It will bring up all occupants of the whole townland and best of all - it has maps! All free of charge.

Now on the maps, you can see the land allocated to each person listed as an occupant. You will have to magnify the map quite a lot to see this, but it is there.

If you can identify your relative, you can also identify their land.
Deirdre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link has now changed to the following

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
gilhoolyjohn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankx deirdre . i tried the previous link but got nowhere, the last one has done the trick. a fantastic resource im sure will be relevant for everybody.
Murph_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
The link has now changed to the following

http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

DEAR DEIRDRE,

What a great site and link ! Even though it seems these are from a couple of years ago they are the best links I have found in some time for Ireland having Griffiths together with the maps for free is got to be one of the greatest ways I could have started 2009! THANSK A MILLION THOUSAND TIMES !!!

My ancestors hail from townland of Knockbrack, Kilmactigue, Co. Sligo, it is a small places and I am unsure but think my ancestors have been there for some time, how long is what I am hoping to find out but it is proving VERY difficult due to no one writing down our ancestry.

I am one the cusp of the famine, around 1870s or so. I know my GF was listed in both the 1901 and 1911 census, so he must have been an adult male at the turn of the century (1900) old enough to Father Children, one of which was my Grand Father, and later my Father was born when GF was working in England and found a wife, returned to Ireland and then went to Boston, finding a new life and leaving a line of people .

PLEASE if any one on the list is familar with the Aclare or Kilmactigue area please contact me as help in this area of Ireland is hard to come by -- almost impossible to work to the famine years !

Murph_
Michigan
January 2, 2009
John Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murph,

There are three townlands in County Sligo named “Knockbrack”. The details below refer to Knockbrack townland in Kilmacteige Civil parish.

Knockbrack townland,
Kilmacteige Civil parish,
Kilmactigue Catholic parish,
Tobercurry Poor Law Union,
Leyney Barony,
Aclare Registrar’s District,
Aclare Electoral division.

For Change of occupiers of land 1855-1943 see LDS film 870974.

John
Murph_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

Thanks so much for responding. The Knockbrack I am interested in is in Kilmactigue, Co. Sligo, Parish, the last townland before Co. Mayo ...it is some 2 miles or so from Aclare.

My Knockbrack (and Stonepark, as the ancestors so often mentioned) is on the side of the Ox Mountains, the third (and last) right on a road (if going on the Aclare-to-Swinford Road from Aclare to Swinford). Sorry to have to say it that way but my directional ability was totally messed up in Ireland and even the Ordinance Survey and Griffiths maps have been giving me trouble.

I spent a month there in 2006, and a week or so in 2007 and have tons of information, but my original goal was to try to figure out who made it through the Famine years of 1845-1850. I am close but not there yet !! I am hoping to find someone with intimate knowledge of the area, the available records and information, as well as of history and its impact on this all --- the people and of the times!!

A tall order I know --- but as with most who do this I just keep plugging along and posting, and like you, most people I have chatted with a great people !!

What I have a hard time with currently, and the reason for my posts seeking help, is the map and notations (from the Valuation Officer, www.valoff.ie) on them. I also am having trouble with Griffiths listings as to several ancestors (John Murphy) but no I, II, III or anyway to know if they were brothers, sons, uncles, or whatever -- I have no doubt those living next to and close are related, but how is the question.

Finally, and what really has me in a "brick wall" (as we seem to call those blocks we cannot seem to get past) is the generation before my GF and GrtGF listed in the Griffiths Valuation.

I have pretty much followed and documented my GF from there to Boston, know the ship and when he sent for wife and childredn in 1925, but all the details is essentially I am hoping someone with knowledge of the area/records would be willing to help with !!

So, thats my current and most vexing conumdrum and I am hoping and wondering if anyone on the list could or would be able to help....I am pretty experienced, having pulling information and educating myself on the available records for a long time now, I geuss I need to pull it all together and fill out my family tree software as best I can at this point (making changes as more or different facts are whittled out).

Any chance you might help or know someone who would?

SLAINTE

Murph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: