Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Church of Our Lady Assumed, Fuerty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maggiemole

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Church of Our Lady Assumed, Fuerty Reply with quote

Does anyone know just where this church is, in the Fuerty area? I have seen a photo of the foundation stone which is dated in stone 1953, and the photo says Creemully, Fuerty. There's also a photo of the Bishop doing the Dedication of the church, 5th August 1956, and it just says Fuerty church. But the only recent church in the area I know of is St Cieran's in Castlecoote. Help please!
thanks
Maggie
Mike Lennon

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie

The present Fuerty church was built in 1957 and dedicated to the Assumption. It replaced an earlier church, St. Kieran's, which was built about 1812. The church is located in the towland of Creemully which adjoins the townland of Castlecoote. I think there is a shop or two in Castlecoote Village, which might account for the church being known locally as Castlecoote Church.

Best wishes

Mike
maggiemole

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mike. My aunt was married at the church I always thought was St Kieran's in 1953 (sorry for the previous spelling) and I saw the church there in 2006, and assumed they were the same building. So I was rather thrown by the other name.

best wishes
Maggie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: