Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Brennan Father Roman Catholic Church

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morton1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Brennan Father Roman Catholic Church Reply with quote

I am trying to find out more details of Father Brennan who was prominent in the Gaelic league in the 1920's onwards in Roscommon. There is a full report in 1922 in The Roscommon Herald of how the militia and police raided his house in Mantura outside of Elphin. Any information would be grateful received.

Thanks

William
Mike Lennon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William

There are full details of Fr. Brennan and the raid on Mantua church on pages 100 and 223 of Kathleen Hegarty Thorne's book about the Roscommon Volunteers 1916-1923 - "They Put The Flag a-Flyin'".

The following is my own biographical note on Fr. Brennan:

[u]Brennan, Malachy (1877-1967), RC priest and republican.[/u] A native of Ahamlish, Co. Sligo. He was educated at Summerhill College, Sligo and at Maynooth College. He was ordained in 1901 in Sligo cathedral. He served as curate in Castlerea (1901-1904), Strokestown (1904-1907), Castlerea again (1907-1907), Caltra, Co. Glaway in Ahascragh parish (1907-1920), and Mantua in Elphin parish (1920-1926). He was an active member of the Gaelic League, a member of the national executive of Sinn Féin and a judge in the Republican Courts. These activities caused his home to be searched frequently. While celebrating Mass in Mantua in June 1921, armed police raided the church. Following the Treaty, he was a staunch supporter of the Free State government and was president of the North Roscommon Executive of Cumann na nGaedheal in 1926-27. He resigned from the party in 1927 in protest against the cutting of the old age pension by one shilling. He also served on Roscommon Agricultural and Technical Instruction Committee.

He was appointed pastor of Kilglass in 1926 where he carried out many improvements to the parish buildings. He served there until 1930 when he was transferred to Ahascragh, Co. Galway where he ministered until he died in 1967. He was the prebendary of Kilgoghlin from 1942 to 1951 when he became the treasurer within the chapter of Elphin diocese. He was named archdeacon of Elphin diocese in 1955 and became a monsignor and dean from 1962. He was interred in the grounds of Ahascragh church. [i](The Diocese of Elphin; ICD; They Put the Flag a-Flyin’, Kathy Hegarty Thorne, 2005; A Parish History of Kilglass, Slatta and Ruskey, Liam Coyne, 1994; Nobody’s Business: Aspects of County Roscommon Politics 1925-1931, Mark Foley’s Unpublished M.A. Thesis at NUI, Maynooth)[/i]

Best regards

Mike Lennon
morton1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for such a helpful reply. I have Kathleen's book so I will now look up the the references.

I have also found out from my research into Martin Gaughan (my wives father) who was a Gaelic League teacher in Mayo and Roscommon (1907-1947) and employed by Roscommon County Council several other items about Father Brennan.

These include the fact (The Roscommon Herald 23/02/04) that he was involved in organising the Castlerea Feis and he referred to as "one of the most talented and patriotic young priests". There is more about him in this article. A report in The Roscommon Herald of Saturday 11th February 1922 in which he is referred to as a well know "Gaelic leaguer" spelt out the way in which the future of the Gaelic League should be organised in the county. Full report.

We have other references to him from The Roscommon Herald. Would you be interested in having these?

Thanks again

William
jackie0051

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Father Brennan Reply with quote

I'm really interested in this topic.
I have a Thomas Brennan born approx 1880 who was active within the Old IRB. I have very little detail re Thomas and his family but it's believed he had a brother who was a priest.
We have no name but as Thomas was associated with Roscommon and Connaught area's there's a possibility that Father brennan could have been his brother.. Does anyone have any further info on father Brennan's family.
Thomas is believed to have grown up on a large farm estate where his father was also Thomas a Land Steward. There's is yet to be unravelled a connection to the French's/Defreynes.
Kindest regards Jackie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: