Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Leitrim-Roscommon Townland names and Placenames

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElphinBill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Leitrim-Roscommon Townland names and Placenames Reply with quote

I've seen the database of Leitrim-Roscommon townlands names, but has their been any attempt to provide more information about the townland names, e.g. perhaps their origin and meaning from the Irish language or Celtic past and mythology, geography etc?

The Irishtimes has a web site http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/placenames/
that apparently will provide some information, but it is fee based and I've not seen what information it will yield. It seems expensive.

Also I've seen the Northern Ireland website, which is free, for placenames in the north
http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofLanguagesLiteraturesandPerformingArts/SubjectAreas/IrishandCelticStudies/Research/NorthernIrelandPlace-NameProject/
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book(s) you want are John O'Donovan's letters and name books relating to the Ornance Survey mapping of Ireland in 1836/7.

I doubt if these are generally available although libraries in Ireland will probably have copies. I know I have consulted a copy in Leitrim Library in Ballinamore.

In actual fact Donovan, who was a noted Gaelic scholar and antiquarian, tried wherever possible to give an English meaning to each Townland name.

Michael Whelan's book "The Parish of Aughavas, Co Leitrim"1998. gives the Donovan translations for all the townlands of Aughavas parish.

It should be noted that there are people who disagree with at least some of the translations and it would be a very interesting subject for a serious study utilising modern methods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: