Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

A Research Surprise: Seeing Ireland fromAlaska

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siskabob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: A Research Surprise: Seeing Ireland fromAlaska Reply with quote

Fellow Researchers,

I had a news essay about Sarah Palin’s roots in Ireland published in
this week’s edition of The Irish Echo, posted at www.irishecho.com
(page Cool. Working with her on-line lineage posted and updated at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~battle/palin.htm,
help from Rutland researchers, and the databases I developed in
researching Ballykilcline Rising, I learned that her immigrant Irish
ancestor came out of the same conflicted terrain described in my book
-- from the townland across a narrow country road from Ballykilcline --
and went to Rutland, Vermont, before going west.

Mary Lee Dunn

PS Thanks to Peter Patten, Barbara Grenier, and Rosemary Vandenburg for
help with this research and the genealogists -- Robert Battle, Tom
Brown, William Reitwiesner, Gary Boyd Roberts, and Michael Hurdle --
who contributed to the posted on-line lineage.
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An invaluable piece of research
Mike Lennon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Lee

Cogratulations on your research on Sarah Palin's Sheeran line. From my records on Knockhall sourced from the Dublin Valuation Office, Bridget Sheeran listed in Griffiths had a house and garden (size 1 rod 12 perches). The next entry is in 1876 when Thomas Heavey became the tenant. Presumably Bridget died then.It remained in Heavey hands until at least 1962 when Mrs Margaret Heavey became the owner following the death of her husband, John. I checked the current phone book but there is no listing for Heavey in Knockhall. It is possible that Bridget Sheeran was the mother of the Michael you found who was born in 1823.

The 1901 Census shows a Daniel Sheeran as a boarder in the Knockhall home of Bridget McGuire (widow) and her children. His stated age is 88 and he was a widower and retired farmer.

I purchased a copy of your book in Hodges Figgis, Dawson Street earlier this week. There were only 2 on the shelf - hopefully that indicates that sales are brisk. It's a wonderful work and many thanks for the credit in the notes.

Mike Lennon
siskabob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Follow up to Mike Lennon's comments Reply with quote

Hello, Mike,

Many thanks for your kind words and for these additions to the Sheeran research.

If Bridget Sheeran died in 1875 or 1876, there should be some kind of a death record, right?

When I cited the Bridget Sheeran in Knockhall as listed in Griffith’s, it was to show that indeed Sheerans were there, but I also wondered whe ther she was Michael Sheeran’s mother or perhaps a sister who never married.

The US records (for instance, the 1870 and 1880 U.S. censuses of Blue Earth County, Minnesota) show that the immigrant Michael Sheeran and his wife Mary Kline (Cline) had a son named Daniel who was listed as 5 years old in 1870 and 15 in 1880 and born in Minnesota.

Do you think that Bridget McGuire may have been Bridget Sheeran McGuire? By her age (45) in 1901, I would guess that she is Daniel’s daughter (or possibly niece). I note that Daniel was a widower, so had been married, thus favor the daughter relationship. By Daniel’s age (born in 1813), I would guess that he may be a brother of Michael Sheeran (and maybe of the James Sheeran with Kilglass connections, born in 1827, who also was in Rutland in the 1850s). What do you think?

Thank you, Mike, and John Patrick Gillooly (RIP) for that information on the Kilglass and Roscommon people in West Virginia. That community undoubtedly would make a fascinating study as well. We keep unraveling the story!

Mary Lee

PS I ask Lynne Sisk repeatedly to post for me here since I still have trouble doing so. Lucky for me, she is kind and willing, but I need to talk with Ed about it again. Such a problem -- I feel cut off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: A Research Surprise:Seeing Ireland from Alaska Reply with quote

BDM records in the Irish Life Centre contain no record of a death for Bridget Sheeran in the ten years prior to 1877,nor of a marriage for a Bridget Sheeran to a McGuire in the five years prior to 1876.

In Griffith's Bridget Sheeran leases her house and garden from Thomas Heavy [Heavey].

In Griffith's also, a Daniel Sherwin and a Michael Sherwin with 15 others lease over 14 acres from John W. Flanagan.Also a Daniel Sharvan and a Michael Sharvan together lease a house and 12 acres from the same landlord.
My question, are the Sherwins and Sharvins actually Daniel and Michael Sheeran? Methinks they are!
The Tithe Applotment Books might shed some light on that one.
Patrick Flanagan
siskabob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.

You may be right about Sherwin and Sharvan! Thank you for checking those BMD records as well. Can you think of any reason why there is no death record for the Bridget Sheeran of Griffith’s in the several years before 1875? Could she have married again and her death be recorded under another name, for instance? Did you look for Bridget McGuire’s marriage under variant spellings of the names too?

I have a partial TAB for Kilglass which I transcribed. I found no Sheerans (or Sherwins or Sharvans there) but in Knockhall and Knockhall Flanaga n I found three men named Shanon. I listed the surname with a question mark in each case so the name must have been hard to make out. They were named Francis and Patt in Knockhall and Michael "Shanon" in Knockhall Flanagan.

I reviewed Griffith’s for all of Kilglass last night. Apart from Bridget in Knockhall, most of the Sheerans lived in Slattagh More. Listed there were Peter, John, James jun., and Edward together holding 25 acres. A Daniel Sheeran shared a little over 14 acres in two parcels with a Thomas Roche.

The only other Sheeran I found was Connor Sheeran in Cloonfad with 1 rood and 8 perches leased from John A. Tredennick.

The sons of Michael and Mary Cline Sheeran, from Minnesota censuses, were named in descending order: Michael, William, John, Francis, Edward, Daniel, and Herbert. This may not be all of them. The son Michael’s birth record gives his middle name as James. The posted on-line Palin family tree suggests in notes that the senior Michael Sheerans had 12 children but the source is not clear, although I believe the information is requested in the 1900 census.

I was contacted yesterday by a descendant of the Heaveys in Knockhall. She said that her mother's first cousin “still lives on the homestead in Knockhall and one of the fields is called Sheeran's garden. We do not know who the Sheerans were to our family.” The family wonders whether Bridget Sheeran might have been Thomas Heavy’s (Heavey’s) sister, she said.

Mary Lee Dunn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.

You may be right about Sherwin and Sharvan! Thank you for checking those BMD records as well. Can you think of any reason why there is no death record for the Bridget Sheeran of Griffith’s in the several years before 1875? Could she have married again and her death be recorded under another name, for instance? Did you look for Bridget McGuire’s marriage under variant spellings of the names too?

I have a partial TAB for Kilglass which I transcribed. I found no Sheerans (or Sherwins or Sharvans there) but in Knockhall and Knockhall Flanaga n I found three men named Shanon. I listed the surname with a question mark in each case so the name must have been hard to make out. They were named Francis and Patt in Knockhall and Michael "Shanon" in Knockhall Flanagan.

I reviewed Griffith’s for all of Kilglass last night. Apart from Bridget in Knockhall, most of the Sheerans lived in Slattagh More. Listed there were Peter, John, James jun., and Edward together holding 25 acres. A Daniel Sheeran shared a little over 14 acres in two parcels with a Thomas Roche.

The only other Sheeran I found was Connor Sheeran in Cloonfad with 1 rood and 8 perches leased from John A. Tredennick.

The sons of Michael and Mary Cline Sheeran, from Minnesota censuses, were named in descending order: Michael, William, John, Francis, Edward, Daniel, and Herbert. This may not be all of them. The son Michael’s birth record gives his middle name as James. The posted on-line Palin family tree suggests in notes that the senior Michael Sheerans had 12 children but the source is not clear, although I believe the information is requested in the 1900 census.

I was contacted yesterday by a descendant of the Heaveys in Knockhall. She said that her mother's first cousin “still lives on the homestead in Knockhall and one of the fields is called Sheeran's garden. We do not know who the Sheerans were to our family.” The family wonders whether Bridget Sheeran might have been Thomas Heavy’s (Heavey’s) sister, she said.

Mary Lee Dunn

P.

Mary Lee Dunn

pflanagan132

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: A Research Reply with quote

Hi Mary, in searching Griffith's on this site for Sheerans, I concentrated on the townland of Knockhall, given that Michael gave that address in his application for citizenship.
The Daniel and Michael Sharvan are the Sherwins referred to in a seperate entry in Knockhall,as the map references are identical. Whether they are Sheeran is another matter.
As of now the only relationship I can find between Heavey and Sheeran is that Bridget Sheeran leased her house and garden from Thomas Heavy [Heavey]

Regarding the lack of a death record for Bridget Sheeran, a possible answer is that it was never registered. I have come across this many times. More puzzling is the lack of a marriage record for Bridget McGuire. I searched for a Bridget Sheeran marrying a McGuire, using various spellings.According to the Census, she was 20 when her son Patrick, and I searched the period of 5 years prior to that. They may have married in England.
I will have another look at this tomorrow. Patrick.
cassiekt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: The Ballykilcline Society - in the news Reply with quote

FYI - The links below are among the many places where Mary Lee's story appeared, including a podcast of her interview on Irish radio on 10/7/08 (Shannonside). I thought that the publicity Mary Lee has given to the Ballykilcline Society through her book and her research has been fantastic, whatever your political leanings may be.
Cassie Kilroy Thompson,
President, The Ballykilcline Society
PS Members of the The Ballykilcline Society should be on the lookout for the next issue of our newsletter, The Bonfire, where we will announce plans for the 2009 Reunion. People interested in joining us should send an email to Patricia Padian at ppadian@cox.net for more information.
------------
http://www.roscommonherald.ie/news/story/?trs=idmhgbql&cat=news
http://www.irishecho.com/newspaper/story.cfm?id=18873
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/1003/1222959305923.html
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081007/NEWS04/810070362/1002/NEWS01
http://www.shannonside.ie/uploads/podcasts/11.mp3
http://www.realboyle.com/
http://genealogydiscussion.blogspot.com/2008/10/sarah-palin-ballykilcline-kilglass.html
http://www.ancestor.ie./main/page_news_gallery_sarah_palin_roscommon_roots.html
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: A Research Surprise:Seeing Ireland from Alaska Reply with quote

In The Tithes Applotment Books for Kilglass Parish 1833, there were Sherans and Sheherans in Slattaghmore, but of more interest were a Francis and Patt Sheran holding two acres of first quality land at Knockhall. Michael who went to Vermont had a son called Francis, so a connection is quite possible.
Patrick Flanagan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: