Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Leitrim Castle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Leitrim Castle Reply with quote

In Griffiths maps from 1850s, there is reference to "site of Leitrim Castle". This site is just off the Roscommon-Strokestown road, in Leitrim townland, Kilbride parish,Co. Roscommon. It is within a few hundred metres of the point where Major Denis Mahon was shot in 1847. All that is visible today is a large mound in a field owned by a local farmer.
I would be interested to know if anybody knew anything of the history of this site, or even where such information might be available. Roscommon Library seems a possibility, and I will have a look next time I am down. Patrick Flanagan.
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Leitrim Castle Reply with quote

Hi Ed, many thanks for your prompt reply. Now, your Leitrim village is about 20 miles from my Leitrim townland where the Castle ruins lie. But can you say whether O'Rourke's Castle was actually in Leitrim village, Co. Leitrim, or Leitrim townland in Co. Roscommon? Patrick
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Leitrim Castle Reply with quote

Thanks again Ed. Sadly all of those sites appear to be some distance from Leitrim townland, Kilbride Parish.
In 1837 John O'Donovan wrote "the ruins of a castle exist in the townland of Leitrim which belonged to the O'Flanagans"
Kind regards, Patrick
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/castles/irecastl-Leitrim.htm
Notes on Leitrim County Library Local collection
http://www.leitrimcoco.ie/Departments/Library/Local+Collection.htm
Leitrim County Librarian - Sean O’Suilleabhain
Leitrim County Library has an extensive collection of local studies material which is housed in the
Ballinamore Library, Main Street, Ballinamore.
County Leitrim Library policy is to answer all letters and e-mails. There is no charge for this facility,
but there is a standard charge for all photocopies and postage.
The County Leitrim Library has indexed their extensive holdings of local history material. The index
includes everything held on individual parishes. http://193.178.1.87/LocalStudies/LocalHistoryMenu.htm
Book held in library:
Subject Author Title Source
LEITRIM CASTLE MacIntyre Jim Leitrim Castle In Shannonside:A Parochial Magazine 1988. Pg.20-24 941.71/LKT.

Contact
Tel: 071 9645567
email: localstudies@leitrimcoco.ie
Do not pay a cent for Irish research until you know what you are doing.

Good luck in your research.

John Hunter.
pflanagan132

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Leitrim Castle Reply with quote

Thanks John, again those links refer only to Co. Leitrim, whereas my Leitrim Castle was in Co. Roscommon.
I do however have an appointment to view some files relating to Leitrim Castle at The National Monument Archives on December 8,and if there are any significant findings, I will post them here. Thank you, Patrick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: