Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

looking for information on a thomas frayne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lisajo79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: looking for information on a thomas frayne Reply with quote

Hi, i'm trying to trace my irish roots through my great great grandfather Thomas Frayne, my gran told me all she knows of him but that hasn't helped much. he was born in 1853 my gran also told me that he & mary melia who was born in 1852 eloped from ireland and where married in england in 1874 and had their first child a few months after, on their marriage certificate he says thomas frayne's father was called patrick and he was a fireman and mary melia's father was called joe, I've found census records of when he lived in england using the name Thomas French and it makes me wonder if frayne was his real surname or if it was french because my gran also told me that he was related to a Lord De Freyne but not sure which one and I noticed that all the lord de freyne surnames we're french.
recently I looked up the name french and I came across a william percy french, I think its a possibilty that i'm related to him some how because the pictures that are online are the double of my father. So if there is anyone that could help find out any information of thomas frayne before coming to england I would be grateful. Lisa

Last edited by lisajo79 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:52 pm; edited 8 times in total
morton1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: LISA IRISH ROOTS DE FREYNE Reply with quote

Dear Lisa,

The 1901 Leirim-Roscommon census web site shows that when you type in "French" there is living in Frenchpark a Baron De Freyne who is a British Lord. There are many references to the De Freyne estate and there is a 6/7 boxes of unique material in Dublin about his estate. If you think he is your man let me know and I can send more details. My grand father leased property on his estate in Frenchpark - a Thomas McGarry.

Hope of use.

William
morton1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: DeFreyne and French Reply with quote

Dear Lisa,

Posted some more information about two French children as a new post. Hope it of use.

Regards

Monica
morton1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: De Freyne and French Reply with quote

Dear Lisa,

Here is some more information from the Roscommon Journal dated Sept. 27th. 1913. Hope it is of use. Let me know if it is please.

Lord De Freyne dies at Frenchpark. Mr. A.R. French who suceeds to the title is the eldest son of the deceased Peer's first marriage with lady Laure O. Dundae. Lord de freyne some 12 years ago evicted dozens of families on his estate fro non-payment of rent and was regarded as a harsh landlord. (Much more in the RJ about these evictions which were plentiful!).

Regards

Monica
Jackie Blanchard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Frenchpark, Tibohine, Fairymount area histories? Reply with quote

Is anyone aware of any local histories covering Tibohine Civil Parish, Frenchpark Barony, Fairymount area, etc.? I've gathered a good deal of information on families in this area thanks to this site and other resources (including you, Ed). However, I'd dearly love to obtain any histories, stories, journal articles, etc. that that might be out there about the area.

I noted Monica's (Morton 1) reference to a 1913 Roscommon Journal article on Frenchpark evictions, for example. Now all I have to do is track it down. I've heard of something called "Fairymount Parish Remembers the Famine" but have not been able to locate it anywhere. I've picked up bits and pieces off the web (lots of google searching).

I've read any number of articles and books--Dennis Scally's wonderful work, Mary Dunn's book, a couple of books on the Mahon evictions, etc. but wonder if there might be anything specific to Tibohine Civil Parish and environs. Any sources/suggestions will be most welcome!

Jackie (Tracking Sharkeys, Callaghans, Corcorans, Egans, Weirs, and other families out of Tibohine Civil Parish, primarily Tibohine-Fairymount Roman Catholic Parish townlands.
morton1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear jackie the Roscommon Journal is a local newspaper printed in Roscommon and the copies is used for my research are held and the British Library Colindale, North London. It may also be held in Dublin. If you use the web to look at the newspaper holdings for the British Library this gives the date of publication. Unfortunately you have to read every weekly copy to get the particular news item you are interested in. I will look at my research documents and see if I have any more from the newspaper. I hope this of help if not please ask.

Regards

Monica
morton1

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: De Freyne estate and evictions 1902 Reply with quote

Dear Jackie,

The Roscommon Journal of 23 August 1902 page provides a report about a Dominick Connor who occupies 5 acres to be evicted. He lived at Clonmagannoe a few miles from Frenchpark.

1902 seems to be a busy year for evictions. I will keep looking at my newspaper cuttings.

Regards

Monica
morton1

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Sharkey's Reply with quote

They are several Sharkeys from the Storkestown and Frenchpark. Una Sharkey did an immense amount for the gaelic league and I have further details.

Monica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: