Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Baptism, Winifred MORAGHEN (MORAHAN? MORAGHAN?) 1804

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Baptism, Winifred MORAGHEN (MORAHAN? MORAGHAN?) 1804 Reply with quote

I've not totally ruled out that she is a member of our family, but, if so, the connection is not yet revealed.

Date of Baptism/Birth: 22/06/1804
Parish/District: Croghan
County: Roscommon
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Father: Patrick Moraghen
Mother: Eleanor Waldron
Sponsors: B. Owens and Jane Barret

Murph
Murph

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Croghan near Strokestown? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if Croghan is near Strokestown?

Murph
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Murph,
I have Winifred Moraghan married to Francis Berne, Beirne, Byrne. They lived in Killummod townland, Killummod Civil parish, Killukin-Killummod Catholic parish (later called Croghan Catholic Parish.

Winifred and Francis were parents of James, born c1821-1827.
A family named Owens lived in Killummod in 1827 and 1856.

Do you see a connection?

Croghan Catholic parish map http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/Croghan.html

Two churches in Croghan Catholic parish – one in Croghan village and the other in Drumlion townland, near Carrick on Shannon. There is an excellent book available on the recent 150th anniversary of the opening of the Drumlion church, written by John Keenehan.

Killukin Catholic Parish, containing the half of Killukin Civil Parish, located near the town of Carrickon-Shannon, in the Barony of Boyle. In 1858, in the aftermath of the Famine, the combined Catholic Parish of Killukin and Killummod was formed by adding the eastern half of the Parishes of Estersnow and Kilcolagh, and part of the Parish of Tumna. It was not until the 20th century that the Parish name was changed to Croghan.

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/Croghan.html

A map showing all Roscommon townlands:
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-485692-map_of_roscommon-i;_ylc=X3oDMTFka28zOGNuBF9TAzI3NjY2NzkEX3MDOTY5NTUzMjUEc2VjA3NzcC1kZXN0BHNsawN0aXRsZQ--

John
Murph

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Winifred Moraghan Reply with quote

Thank you for replying, John! I still do not detect a connection to my family, but I have a question for you. Do you have a date for the marriage of Winifred Moraghan to Francis Berne? Another researcher has told me that a Winifred Moraghan married in a Roman Catholic ceremony in 1831 and that it was recorded in Strokestown. The other researcher does not have the name of Winifred's husband.

Family lore says that my great-great-grandmother was Winifred Moraghan, married to Patrick Mannion.

Murph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: