Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: www.census.nationalarchives.ie Reply with quote

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

All thirty-two counties for 1911 are now available on this site . We have decided to make the material immediately available, in the knowledge that the vast majority of our users will be able to find what they want.

Good Hunting Everyone.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1911 Census search engine lists only the County and District Electoral Division (DED) for a townland.

The free Townland database on the Roscommon History website has been updated to include:
County District,
Registrar's District (registration of births, deaths and marriages)
Civil parish (for all records other than church baptisns & marriages),
Catholic parish,
Discovery Series map number and grid reference (maps readily available worldwide).
Plus extra columns to assist the new researcher.

http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/Index2.pdf

John
Murph_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: GREAT INDEX Reply with quote

Dear John,

The rosscommon index you posted is GREAT!

Is this something you did yourself I presume?

If so could you tell me what you used (Excel or DB?) and
if you gathered the info from extensive research or were you able to get everything in one place (which I really doubt but....).

I ask as it is something I need to find (or do myself) for Co. Sligo's Kilmactigue parish (Knockbrack).

I have the LDS films (well what I can find with the searches and what I have came across over the years)at my local Family Ctr., but I need to pull everything together and the source.

Any syggestions or help would be great.
THANKS,
Slainte!

Murph
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refernce the Roscommon Townland Index http://www.roscommonhistory.ie/People/JohnHunter/jhunter.htm

Murph,
Thank you,
I included some of the most useful headings in the above townland Index. The townland Index in the Resource County Roscommon 2009 CD has twelve extra column headings.

I believe it is important that researchers are familiar with the terms included in the "Explanation of Column" headings in the above reference.

Note that most records are found in the Civil parish. The only records to be found in Catholic parishes are baptismal and church marriages.

The Resource County Roscommon 2009 CD brings together background information to help people seeking information about the Roscommon roots of their family trees. Many years of entering, analysis and manipulation of data have gone into its production. The earlier versions of the CD are recognised as a major source for any research project in Roscommon.

The Index to Townlands contains 26 entries for each of the 2205 townlands.

The CD is the result of my own research into the Roscommon families to which I am connected. After 14 years of work, five visits to Ireland, payment to researchers in County Roscommon, letters published in the Roscommon Herald and help from others researching the same families, I believe I have found whatever information is available. Never having been in gaol or held public office, the Byrne/Beirne and Moraghan families of Killummod, the Connor family of Aghadangan and the Nerney family of Cloonboyoge townlands have left few records.

In the process of this sometimes frustrating search I have collated the information presented on the CD in the hope that it will save other people from re-inventing the wheel. It includes examples of many of the records the researcher is likely to find in his/her research. This CD is a very useful tool for anyone researching any ancestral area in Ireland. It can be adopted and adapted for research in any county by using the same methods and resources. Part Z2 of the ‘Resource County Roscommon Ireland 2009’ CD consists of six pages of notes and database layouts for compiling a 'Resource CD' for any County.
xxxx
The following is a recent article in the ‘Roscommon People’ weekly newspaper serving all County Roscommon.
Source: http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?ItemID=10479&menu=d10479
New CD helps uncover Roscommon roots
A new revised and updated ‘Resource County Roscommon CD was launched recently by Australian man John Hunter.
The 2009 version of the CD consists of 3,725 pages of data and 111 maps. It now includes the complete 1901 census of the county, as well as other useful material.
The CD provides maps and information to help researchers navigate the complex system of townlands, civil parishes and Catholic parishes in their search for their ancestors. Comprehensive databases are designed to help individuals, libraries, local historians and family history groups to find the information they need from a single source.
The CD is a by-product of John Hunter’s own research into his wife’s family, including the Byrne/Beirne and Moraghan families of Killummod, the Connor family of Aghadangan and the Nerney family of Cloonboyage and Killeen West townlands. Mr. Hunter said his wife’s ancestors left few records, making the search for information frustrating at times in a quest involving years of work, five visits to Ireland, letters published in the Roscommon newspapers and help from other researchers around the world.
“I hope the information presented on this CD will save other people from re-inventing the wheel-and hopefully they will have more success in their research than I have!: said Mr. Hunter.

The Resource County Roscommon CD is a not for profit project.
For further details, www.roscommon.info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: