Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Concannon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P Concannon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Concannon Reply with quote

Hi, I need your help again, I have at last found that my 3x great grandfather John Concannon born about 1817 lived at Meeltraun O'Flinn Kiltullagh on the Griffiths Valuation 1856 my problem now is to find his wife Margaret maiden name and also when they were married, also I know they had three son's Martin;Patrick and Michael I am sure they would have had more children, Patrick and Martin left for Walsall England abt 1863 and then went on to Philadelphia in the mid eighties, I know I will have to make a trip to have a look at Parish Records but can anyone tell me where I would find these and should I be looking at other records and where would I find them, they were all R/C families.
Regards
Paul
P Concannon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed, thank you very much for taking time to reply, you are spot on that is Patrick one of the brothers in the UK 1881 census his brother Martin my 2x gt grandfather also lived in Walsall at the same time, Patrick and his family emigrated to Philadelphia 1883 and Martin and his family 1887, now Martin married in Ireland but Patrick in Walsall to Ann Neenan my 3x gt grandfather John is on the marriage cert, what I need to know is both maiden names for John and Martins wives, do you think the church would have these records or do you think they would be held in Dublin?
Kind regards
Paul
John Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
Provided the family were Catholic and Margaret was from the same parish, the marriage details will be found in the Catholic Parochial records for Kiltullagh and Ballinlough Catholic parish.
Baptisms, 1839-1880; marriages, 1839-1874, 1877-1880. FHL BRITISH Film 926226.
The LDS film can be viewed worldwide at major public libraries, genealogy centres and Family History centres.
In Dublin you can view the records in the National Library.
http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx
I suggest you don’t pay for Irish research until you know how the system operates.
For further details, look at the “Resource County Roscommon 2009” CD at your local library.
The Distribution of Surnames in County Roscommon 1848-1901 (see Part L of the Resource County Roscommon 2009 CD) shows the following entries for Concannon in Killtullagh Civil parish:
1832 Tithe Applotment for Meeltraun (O'Flyn) – Surname listed - for details see LDS film 256654.
Griffith’s Valuation – 9 entries
1901 Census – 5 entries as Head of Household.
1901 Census - 2 entries as “other occupiers”.
See also http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/kiltullagh.html
Note that weddings normally took place in the parish of the bride.
The LDS Pilot website http://tinyurl.com/28qexku
lists the 1913 death of Martin Concannon. Details listed:
Martin Concannon:
born 1842, Co. Ros, Ireland
Death 22 May 1913 – Philadelphia.
Burial 26 May 1913.
Father John, Mother Margaret.
Philadelphia City Death Certificates 1803-1916
Xxx
The death certificate may show his mother’s surname.
For details of free online resources for County Roscommon visit http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=51430
P Concannon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed and John, many thanks for the information you have both given to me, it does give me an idea now where too start, in the Griffiths valuation all the families are there, Concannon;Neenan;Geraghty and Gannon all in Meeltraun and Derrylahan, I will be going to Ireland next year to find them and will keep you posted of my results, best wishes and kind regards,.........paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: