Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Sunnagh More Property Location From 1910 & 1911 Census
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for challenging me. I will expand my thinking as well as my search. I knew the northern location seemed unusual but I didn't think of looking for an older Daniel.

Also, if my map reading is correct, Gortletteragh Roman Catholic, where they were married, is in the south east part of the county.
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right as regards Gortlettereragh and I reckon that the mariage you found could well be the right one. Although I have not looked at the records for that parish I have found that there were quite a few Cloone folk married in Aughavas and vice versa. I reckon there were plenty marriages in other adjoining parishes like Mohill and Fenagh and others but the northern connection is possibly a parish too far.
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daniel Maguire of 1841 (next on the list) was from Cloonclare Roman Catholic Parish. I believe also to the north. The next oldest was born in 1829. That may be a stretch, but...

When I was 12 we visited my mother's Aunt Mary (my mother's father's sister) & Uncle Jim in Carrick-on-Shannon. They poured me a glass of whiskey. After all, I was 12 and almost a man. Soon I would probably be married, they said. (We politely declined the whiskey and I assured them it would be a while longer before I was married)

Remembering that and expanding my thinking, I looked at Daniel Maguire of 1859. (He would have been 14 at the time of marriage) He was born/baptised in Cloone Roman Catholic Parish. That does seem to be in the right area.

His father is Daniel Maguire. His mother is Margaret Roarke. I believe you said you found a Dan in 94a?
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan and Mary's first son was named Pat - an indication, although not a certainty, that Dan's father was probably Pat.

My personal favourite for Dan's identity is the Dan Maguire who was baptised on 28th April 1826 in Cloone. This would make him 47 when he married Mary Higgins in 1873 - slightly unusual but certainly not out of the question - and a good reason for him to have died pre 1901. This man's parents were Pat Maguire and Mary Moraran - another reason to consider him.
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good argument for the 1926 Daniel Maguire. Also having an address of Sonnaghmore at birth. And, I understand the naming pattern that was often followed.

I think it is time for me to send an email to the Valuation Office and request the information for Daniel Maguire.
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update for all... I emailed the Valuation Office in Dublin on March 30 requesting a search of the land records for Maguires in Sunnagh More. They responded and said it would take from 10-12 weeks.

I received notice on May 3 that they have finished the records search and are mailing me the results. There are seven color sheets and a copy of the map. Those and the research fee was 40 Euros. In my opinion, an accepteble fee.

I will let everyone know the results when I receive the information.
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the information from the Dublin Valuation Office. It is outstanding!

It included several large color copies of the pages of the Cancelled Books from several periods. The packet also included two maps, one with the locations marked.

They have Patrick McGuire in Sunnagh More from 1855 -1874. He was on 51, 52, 53 & 54. Daniel McGuire (Patrick's son) took over the property in 1874 (probably after Patrick died). Mary McGuire acquired the lots in 1898 (Daniel died in 1895 or 1897). She held them until 1950 (probably after her death). Elizabeth McGuire took over the property until the 1970's.

There is a current owner I will try to call as he was probably the closest known surviving relative and thus acquired the land.

It's a shame that my mother probably never knew her grandmother was still alive until 1950. It was her goal to find where her mother was born and to find the graves of her grandparents.

I can now reach the goal for her by standing on the property where her mother was born. Finding the graves is next on the list.

A special thanks to Jim Irvine for his help.
Keith Nelson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the quest: We are two days away from making the trip to Ireland. We have been in contact with the current land owner and he is my third cousin. We will be staying with him and his wife and visiting the property.
The original house was in disrepair and was taken down, but the stones are still there. The home our family moved into in 1906 still stands.
My cousin also knows the location of my grandmother's parents' graves.
My other cousin in Dublin has located the property on my grandfather's side along with my grandfather's parents' graves.
We will be having a family gathering and meeting relatives we didn't even know existed until a few months ago.
What a wonderful journey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: