Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Irish CENSUS in 1901/1911 , MAPS, where are MPAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murph_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Irish CENSUS in 1901/1911 , MAPS, where are MPAS Reply with quote

Forum Members,

I hope someone can point me to the Maps used for the Irish Census of 1901/1911.

The National Archives have recently done a GREAT job cleaning up the census listings, and that now include the House Numbers for each listing as well as middle names -- they MUST have any\other list or the cancelled books or something they have got this information from.

For instance my John Murphy ancestors Knockbrack, Aclare, Co. Sligo lived in house number 3, as noted:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Aclare/Knockbrack/1686885/

Problem is I need the MAPS used for the Census that shows WHERE house number 3 is, and I cannot seem to find them -- does anyone know?

Also it can be parsed to showALL the house in the knockbrack area

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Aclare/Knockbrack/

But again, no map where each of the Houses is located. WHERE ARE THE MAPS.

Another similar question is I have heard for some years about "cancelled books" and similar maps, what are these and where are those MAPS?

I also was just moments ago about to pull up the middle names *(John Murphy Pat)* of the census pages, went back and did another search and they are now missing? I even posted praise about the addition as I have too many ancestors named JOHN and MICHAEL and none of the records I found listed anything to help with this issue -- all of a sudden they are there. Now they are gone. Am I going nuts here or is something afoot with the Census site.

Anything anyone can shed on this would be appreciated and I will say Thanks in advance.

Murph

Tanks,
Murph
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware the house numbers in the censuses are purely arbitrary - I refer of course to houses out in the countryside not to houses in streets with actual numbers. I do not believe there are actual maps for the censuses - but I could be wrong Embarassed

As to the 'cancelled books' these refer to the records of the Valuation Office in Dublin. These are the records of land tenure from the time of Griffith's Valuation (c.1857) up to the 1920s. (Naturally this only applies to those families who actually held land during this time - and I mean owned or rented.)

To obtain these records it is a simple matter of contacting the Valuation Office (www.valoff.ie), giving them the names and townlands you are interested in, and paying whatever the current charge is. (I paid about £25 but that was some years ago)

You will (probably) get a copy of the relevant map and a list of who held the property from 1857 into the 20th century.

This will give you IIRC a map showing the location of the property and a list of the successive holders of the land.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: