Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Prior family in Cloone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Prior family in Cloone Reply with quote

A response to Jim Hughes enquiry in the surname section

John Prior married Ann Fitzpatrick in Cloone on 18th Feb 1866 (year slightly uncertain as no year was given on the page of the parish record). James Prior and Patrick Tiernan were the sponsors

No parents were given so it would be worth getting a marriage cert from the GRO.

All the children were baptised from Ardloher, a subdivision of the townland of Halls. There were no Priors there in Griffith’s Valuation, which makes me think that John probably moved there on his marriage to Ann. There was at least one family of Fitzpatricks there at the time of the Valuation – John Fitzpatrick with a farm and 63 acres of land.

The baptism record only has one hard to read entry that might refer to this family but the townland, the surname and the wife’s surname are all difficult to read. It looks to me like John FITZPATRICK married to Margaret DEACONS at ARDLOHER had a daughter, Rose, baptised on 5th February 1936.

There were only 3 Prior farms in the parish in Griffith’s Valuation, two at Corroneary [Hugh and Michael] and one at Sunnagh More [James]. There is no clear evidence as to whether your John came from any of these but it may be relevant that his first (recorded) son was named Hugh

Children:
I have amalgamated the information you gave with that which I had,

Eleanor was baptised at Cloone on 12th Dec 1867; the sponsors being Tom Prior & Bridget Duignan
She died on 29th Nov 1943 at Meelick, Mohill: she was married to Costello.

Margaret was born on 12th Nov 1868 and baptised on 19th Nov 1868: sponsors Mike & Eleanor Prior
She died on 2nd Mar 1955 in NYC USA: m 1903 NYC James Keane (1861 Ireland)

Anne was baptised on 24th Jun 1870: sponsors Pat & Eleanor Prior: Died on 6th Apr 1948 at Cloone m McNamee

Hugh was baptised on 7th Jul 1871: sponsors Pat Gallaher & Eleanor Fitzpatrick
He died aged 94 in Ireland

Patrick was baptised on 16th Mar 1873: sponsors John Tiernan & Eleanor Kiernan

Michael was born on 4th Jul & baptised 4th Aug 1874. He died on 6 May 1968 in Florida, USA

Thomas was born on 5 Jan & baptised on 8th Jan 1876: sponsors were Peter Short & Anne O’Neill
He died on 4th May 1965 in Bronx NY USA. He was married to Mary Francis Prior (Belfast City) 1884 -11 Dec 1965 Bronx, NY USA

Catherine was baptised on 26th Dec 1878 (presumably at Ardloher although no townland was listed): Sponsors were Pat Prior & Helen (surname illegible)
She died on 30th Jan 1956 in New Jersey, USA. She was married to James J Mulhearn 2 Aug 1881 Ireland - 12 Oct 1973 New Jersey, USA

John’s baptism does not appear in the parish records but he was born c.1883 and died 22nd Oct 1918 NYC, USA

Mary’s baptism does not appear in the parish records but she was born c.1887 and moved to the USA 21st Feb 1915 aboard Cameronia.
jimhughes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information Jim. My records didn't have Patrick, but I have recently seen him listed in Mulhern tree so I think he must have died young, because my Uncle had no record of him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: