Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

McGowan's Ballaghameehan Rossinver Leitrim

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George McGowan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 1998 11:22 pm    Post subject: McGowan's Ballaghameehan Rossinver Leitrim Reply with quote

My GGrandfather, Terrence McGowan,was married to
Ellen Meehan, my grandfather Bernard (Bryan) was
baptised in St. Aidan's Church Ballaghameehan on
Jan.1 1853.
I would dearly love to know the name of the townland
St. Aidan's church was located in ,in the year 1852.
This church still exists as a nun was buried from there
on April 7,1998, of this year, according to clippings I
have from the Dioscesan Newspaper, The Pilot.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

George McGowan

eringem@gte.net

Anna McGowan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 1998 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: McGowan's Ballaghameehan Rossinver Leitrim Reply with quote

: My GGrandfather, Terrence McGowan,was married to
: Ellen Meehan, my grandfather Bernard (Bryan) was
: baptised in St. Aidan's Church Ballaghameehan on
: Jan.1 1853.
: I would dearly love to know the name of the townland
: St. Aidan's church was located in ,in the year 1852.
: This church still exists as a nun was buried from there
: on April 7,1998, of this year, according to clippings I
: have from the Dioscesan Newspaper, The Pilot.
: Any info will be greatly appreciated.

: George McGowan

Good morning, George,

My family (McGowans) came from north Leitrim, the area between Donegal and Sligo, from the town of Kinlough. I believe that the church in Kinlough is also called St. Aidan's but I might be wrong about that. There are a number of McGowans in that area but I believe that the McGowans originally came from Cavan. I am not sure where Ballaghmeehan or Rossinver are located but I will hazard a guess that Rossinver must be somewhere in North Leitrim. Sorry that I am not of more help, good luck with your search.

Anna McGowan

amcgowan@bangate.fda.gov

Mary L. Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 1998 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: McGowan's Ballaghameehan Rossinver Leitrim Reply with quote

Hi George,

My husband and I visited the holy abbey and cemetery at Rossinver last summer. We didn't go farther north into the town (Rossinver) where I think St. Aidan's church is located. I have a book purchased there named "From Roscloger to Rooskey," author Lorcan Rooney. Somewhere in this book he wrote about St. Aidan's Church but I can't find it now. It's a beautiful place, just north of Kiltycloger, which is north of Manorhamilton, almost to the Fermagh border. I looked up info on the location which is on the Leitrim page. Civil Parish: Rossinver, Catholic Parish, Ballymeehan, Barony: Roscloger, Poor Law Union: Manorhamilton. Maybe you can locate it up on the map which is on the Leitrim page of the web. Good luck. Mary L. Casey

MCasey863@aol.com

Michael Keany

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 1998 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: McGowan's Ballaghameehan Rossinver Leitrim Reply with quote

: My GGrandfather, Terrence McGowan,was married to
: Ellen Meehan, my grandfather Bernard (Bryan) was
: baptised in St. Aidan's Church Ballaghameehan on
: Jan.1 1853.
: I would dearly love to know the name of the townland
: St. Aidan's church was located in ,in the year 1852.
: This church still exists as a nun was buried from there
: on April 7,1998, of this year, according to clippings I
: have from the Dioscesan Newspaper, The Pilot.
: Any info will be greatly appreciated.

: George McGowan

Dear George:

I was recently in the Rossinver area researching Keanys/Keaneys. I came across a local history book that might be of great interest to you. It is Rossinver Braes 1995.

It contains the history of the local parishes, pictures of school classes, and the Griffith's Valuation listings for the area.

There are many McGowans and Meehans listed. You might write to the general store in Kiltycloher where I picked up a copy for six punts.

If you give me specific information about an individual I'll do a search for you in the volume.

Regards,

Mike

mkeany@aol.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon Old Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: