Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Estate records -- northern Co. Roscommon/Leitrim border area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macgiollamhartain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Estate records -- northern Co. Roscommon/Leitrim border area Reply with quote

Calling all genealogical experts... I am trying to narrow down which of the many possible Kilmartin -- or Martin -- or Gilmartin entries might be my ancestor(s) in Griffiths Valuation for the area of northern County Roscommon and across the border in County Leitrim... but since my surname possibilities are so numerous in the area, and the their forenames so common, I would really have to acquire some corroborating Estate records where the names of my known ancestor(s) show up. As background, my gg-grandparents appeared to have left the northern County Roscommon area between 1850 and 1860, and went to live in Scotland where they had probably worked as seasonal laborers, as many Irish did, in East Lothian County (formerly Haddingtonshire). James Kilmartin had married Mary Dignan in 1844 in Ardcarn, County Roscommon, who were my gg-grandparents. I've found birth records for some Duignan siblings of Mary in Kilronan, who lived in the townland of Seltannaveeny, up in northernmost County Roscommon, smack dab on the border with Co. Leitrim. James and Mary were wed in Ardcarn during the Lenten season, which meant that the couple needed to be married in a hurry, I'm told, and it may explain why they weren't wed in their home parish, which for Mary at least was likely Kilronan, on account of the circumstances. James could have been from Kilronan, or someplace in neighboring Co. Leitrim or somewhere else nearby. The birth of their first daughter Bridget in 1845 appears (less than 9 months later) in the Ardcarn parish register, with the parents' names listed as James Martin and Mary Dignan, and later in 1850 there is the record of daughter Catherine's birth, also in Ardcarn, with the parents listed as James Gilmartin and Mary Dignan. I know from the Griffiths search page on this site that the valuation was conducted for County Roscommon in 1857 and 1858, and for County Leitrim earlier in 1856, which might have captured them. I wish that some of the (pre-1860) estate records in the area were online, to see if my James and Mary show up, or the parents of James -- who were Patrick Martin/Kilmartin/Gilmartin and Catherine Pow. Anyone with experience in accessing estate records of the area in question (via local genealogy societies or the national library in Dublin) and is there any possibility of getting any such estate records on the Leitrim-Roscommon website?
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Kilmartin and Mary Dignan married in Ardcarn RC Church on 5 December 1844.
Lent is the six weeks prior to Easter.
Easter is the first full moon after the Ides of March (22nd).
See LDS film 989746 for names of witnesses, etc.
Baptism
GILMARTIN, Catherinam Christening, Gender: Female
Christening Date: 28 Jan 1850 Recorded in: Ardcarn and tuamna, Roscommon, Ireland
Collection: Roman Catholic, Father: Jacobi GILMARTIN (Jacobi is Latin for James).
Mother: Mariae DIGNAN
Source: FHL Film 989746. Dates: 1843 – 1861.
MARTIN, Bridgidam, Christening, Gender: Female
Christening Date 1 Oct 1845 Recorded in: Ardcarn and tuamna, Roscommon, Ireland
Collection: Roman Catholic
Father: Jacobi MARTIN, Mother: Mariae DIGNAN
Source: FHL Film 989746 Dates: 1843 – 1861
Gil and Kil were added at will.
You can view the LDS film worldwide.
John
macgiollamhartain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Estate records -- northern Co. Roscommon/Leitrim border area Reply with quote

Thanks John -- I'll have to check my correspondence with the Parish Priest again from years ago, but I remember being told that couples weren't usually married during the time of year that they were wed... except for "emergencies." But I was clearly mistaken about it being during Lent, though, you're absolutely right! I'm glad to have that corrected. With regard to those records cited, I had first come across the two birth records in the IGI, and then found the marriage record in the British Isles Vital Records Index, extracted from Ardcarn Parish records. I wrote to the PP and he was kind enough to send a photocopy of the marriage record. Do you have any experience with accessing the Estate Records of the area? A trip to the archives in Dublin may be in order. How is the genealogical society in counties Roscommon and Leitrim for that sort of thing?
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t pay a cent for Irish research until you know how the system works. The charges are exorbitant. In some cases the information was extracted by dis-interested young people in an attempt to lower the number of people out of work.

I suggest you look at LDS FHL Film 989746. You can view it in most towns in USA. It will show the place of birth and occupation of the father.

Once you know the place of birth you can find the change of occupiers of land from c1855 to 1920.

John
Keaveny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have xerox copies of the Tithe Records for Kilronan. These records date back to 1836. I see a James Kilmartin listed in the townland of Cultigowan. I will look more closely at the records again and get back to you if I see Kilmartin in other townlands.

Ann
Keaveny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again......the spelling may be CUILTYGOWER
Ann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: