Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Daly in Boyle, Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Daly in Boyle, Roscommon Reply with quote

I have been trying to locate my fathers side for years with no luck. He said he was born in Co. Roscommon in or near the town of Boyle. I have different birth dates for him (his info on different documents) ranging from 1895 to 1908(1899 being the year he gave the US Army upon induction in 1941), all giving the month of September (12). He was raised Catholic. His parents names I'm not sure of but he claimed to have been raised by his grandparents John Daly and Mary (nee O'Neil or O'Neill). I have a Certificate of citizenship No. 4124200, Petition No. 266757 issued by US District Court, Southern District of New York, on August 13, 1936. Am I correct in assuming that the waiting time between petition & citizenship was 7 yrs? That would put his date of entry @ 1929? He was residing at 4422-3rd Ave. Bronx, NY at the time the certificate was issued. I have tried Ellis Island with no luck. When my parents were married (1944) my mother said he sent to Ireland for his birth records and was told none were available, but I was hoping that in the ensuing years more information has become available. My father died when I was 5yrs old and he didn't pass much family history on to my mother.
Many of you here are knowledgeable in research and so I am asking for any help you can give. I seem to have been going in circles and don't really know where to go next.
roger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJD:

You did not include your father's name in your post. I found one possible record in the 1901 census data base which may be a connection. Altagowland is the townland and Kilronan is the civil parish.

Roger McDonnell

Altagowlan Kilronan Boyle Roscommon Household Daly John(70) farmer Mary(72)-Thomas(33)-Kate(26) dtr. in law/born Co. Sligo-Patrick(3) gs-Mary Ellen(2) gd-John(1) gs
PJD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Roger,
Thanks for your quick reply. My fathers name was Patrick Daly and I am somewhat familiar with the family that you have found in the 1901 census. Several years ago I had a professional research company try to find my ancestors and this family was suggested as the one most likely to belong to me. I would really like to believe that and end this long arduous hunt but several things bother me with this particular family. First, Patrick, listed as aged 3 fits the age bracket but is said to have the middle name Martin and been born on November 2nd, 1897. While the birth date is easy to reconcile my father did pass on (in Army records) that he had no middle name (the Confirmation name of Joseph was chosen but not officially used). Second, Patrick's grandmother in this family has the maiden name of Leheny and not O'Neill. My father clearly stated on his marriage liscense application that his grand mothers maiden name was O'Neill, (although on the same license he stated that his birth date was 12 Sept., 1908 which was wrong according to his own information given to the US Army. This may have been done because he was already several years older than my mother and was trying to make the age difference look somewhat less).
Since you are much more familiar with Irish ancestry and genealogy than I, would you consider these discrepencies to be minor and therefore able to be overlooked? I was told that genealogy had to be based on concrete evidence and not most likelies or probablies. Then again maybe my father gave more wrong information.
If you are able could you tell me how to research his certificate of citizenship & petition? I would still like to find out when he entered the country. There is also another puzzle. On his certificate he listed himself as married. He told my mother he never was. I'd like to find out for sure. I was told that a 'married status' was sometimes used by immigrents to gain quicker entry into the US with their 'head of household' given extra consideration. Maybe he married after he was already here. Anyway, if he had been married before I'd like to find out if I have any relatives over here that I'm not aware of.
Thanks for your help Roger. I hope you have a few more answers for me.
Patrick J Daly
ps
The professional research co. also expressed some doubts and suggested t search the years 1892-1896 in the General Register Office to make sure there were no more likely candidates. The last source they suggested was the 1901 census for the Boyle area but cited that without an address it was like looking for a needle in a haystack and could run into expensive research time. I'm not sure if that was acomment on the census or just a reminder that research was costly.
roger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick:

Based on the information you provided, I don't believe the record I located is your father's family. This will take more work on your part but the Mormon Church has the index records for births in Ireland by quarter on microfilm. If you live near a Mormon Family History Center, you can request the microfilm from Salt Lake City for 1899 and other years in that period. Does the 1944 marriage certificate reflect an age for your father which is consistent with September 1899? Contact me offline at rmcdonn@leitrim-roscommon.com

Roger McDonnell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: