Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

I am trying to trace Phillips family tree information
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizabeth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: I am trying to trace Phillips family tree information Reply with quote

Hiya,
I am new to this stuff and am progressing nicely with some parts of my family tree. I am getting a little stuck with some other bits though - looks like boundries have moved etc.. and it's all rather Baffling!!! Crying or Very sad

My family from what I gather is from Co Mayo - A place called Toobrackan - Kilcommon is the Parish and Castello is the Barony is what I have found so far.

My Grandfather was Thomas Phillips. His father it looks like was Myles Phillips (looks like he had a brother Myles known as Ned??). I did find 1901 census info relating to this.

Now my problem is - my Aunt talks of the family farm / land being known as what she thought was "Derrenabrack" - does anyone happen to know how this relates or whether it is a completely different thing?? I can't find anything with "Derrenabrack" at all (lots of derren??? places - but nothing like she says) Is this a much older thing altogether - perhaps names changed over years??

I really don't know if the "Derrenabrack" is a farm or land inside Toobracken?? (By that I mean Toobracken is a townland - my famillies farm is within that townland??)

Is there anyone out there who has more experience and knowledge than me that could help me with that point please??

I will be grateful for any help - I just have tried lots of searches and trying to peice that information together.

Thanks Lizzy :0)
elizabeth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Ed,

Thank you for that help - I do have to research more as I may be in danger of mixing famillies up?? I have a big heart - I will adopt any family if they let me!! :0)

How did you find the townland?? - I tried everything and my PC was going weird ha ha I couldn't find a map at all, Derrynabrock wasn't anywhere. (must have been I had wrong spellings??? Mad )

Is there a way I can check dates of births/batisms??

I get the feeling that the Toobracken people I found may be a different family altogether or related in some other way??
(notsure at all)
Thanks again for your help - I shall go check the data you gave me see if I can make more sense of this!! Idea

Lizzy Laughing
elizabeth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed thanks for that point - interesting about the names isn't it?? I guess they had to distinguish somehow - I am sure my confusion will clear as I get further into this research. Laughing

I guess I began getting confused cause I couldn't find maps to locate the place I was looking for and the way that counties changed?? It will come to light I am sure!! I shall just keep trying different searches see what I find out. Very Happy
elizabeth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Ed,

Well my research is moving on a little now - but I am stuck now!! Question

I have found out that my famillies toenland is in fact Derrynabrock. My Grandfather Thomas Phillips was born in 1905 - so he will not show on the 1901 census.

His father was Martin Phillips who was married to a Catherine Duffy. She could have been from the Derrynabrock townlands also - but I do not know for sure where she was from - these two were married 8th Feb 1906 from what I am told.

Other information I have been given by family is that Martin Phillips father was a Thomas Phillips - who married a Mary Towey. Again I checked the Derrynabrock townland on the Census for 1901 and lots of famillies exist there with the name Towey.

Now I am totally confused!!!

Could you be good enough to tell me where the best place is for me to look at either Baptisms for my Grandfather in 1905 - or marriages for Martin & Catherine in 1906 so that I can check these dates out and see that I am looking at the right famillies - I am trying to see if I can find out where Catherine and Mary Towey were from as they could have been from other places - although searches do show similar names etc.. at Derrynabrock - I don't know how likely it is they were all from the same townland at Derrynabrock??

I need to go beyond the 1901 census to see where this info will show - Is there any advice you can offer me with the new information I have gained Ed?? I will glad of any pointers from this. I seem to be dipping in and out of searches and not getting anywhere yet. Is there a way I can get to the batisms and mariages at all? - as by doing just a name search brings up enough names to make me go argh!! Shocked

I just feel stuck now!! Confused

any advice from anyone will be good to get me out of this one!!
thanks for your time!!! Very Happy
John Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrynabrock is in
Costello Barony,
Swinford Poor Law Union,
Lowpark Registrar’s District,
Doocastle Electoral Division,
Kilbeagh Civil parish,
Achonry Diocese
Catholic parish – not sure - either Carracastle or Kilbeagh (Charlestown).

LDS films of interest
C1830 Tithe Applotment 256622
1857 Griffith’s Valuation FHL BRITISH Film 844989 Item 3
Change of occupiers of land 1857-1939 LDS film 857546.
1901 Census LDS film 846250 Items 1 - 2
1911 Census LDS film 2193353 Item 2.

Catholic parochial records:
Carracastle Catholic parish Marriages, 1847-1903; baptisms, 1853-1908. FHL BRITISH Film
1279233 Items 1 – 2
also Carracastle Catholic parish Marriages, 1847-1880; baptisms, 1853-1880, another partial filming [1973?]. FHL BRITISH Film
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Title Parochial registers of Kilbeagh, 1845-1924
Authors Catholic Church. Parish of Kilbeagh (Mayo) (Added Author)
Ministers, 1828-1950; baptisms, 1855-1888. FHL BRITISH Film
1279230 Item 1
Marriages, 1845-1866. FHL BRITISH Film
1279230 Item 2
Marriages, 1855-1902. FHL BRITISH Film
1279230 Item 3
Baptisms, 1888-1894. FHL BRITISH Film
1279230 Item 4
Baptisms, 1894-1895. FHL BRITISH Film
1279230 Item 5
Baptisms, 1895-1924. FHL BRITISH Film
1279230 Item 6
Marriages, 1845-1866, 1855-1881; baptisms, 1855-1881. FHL BRITISH Film

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Title Parochial registers of Carracastle, 1847-1908.
Authors Catholic Church. Parish of Carracastle (Mayo) (Main Author)

Marriages, 1847-1903; baptisms, 1853-1908. FHL BRITISH Film
1279233 Items 1 - 2

Marriages, 1847-1880; baptisms, 1853-1880, another partial filming [1973?]. FHL BRITISH Film

Most Irish Civil birth and marriages are on LDS film. When checking the indexes look for Swinford Superintendent Registrar’s District.

The LDS British Isle Vital Records Index CDs have a number of “Phillips” births registered in Lowpark Registrar’s District, including a Michael Phillips, born 1874, Father Myles, mother Bridget Dunn.

When checking Civil births and marriages in the IGI look for entries registered in Lowpark Registrar’s District.

http://home.att.net/~Local_Catholic/Catholic-Ireland.htm#Diocese-Achonry

John
elizabeth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Thanks so much for that information - WOW !!!! How did you know all this stuff??? Question

Do I take it I can gain these films at my local library if I order them?? (I live in a tiny North Wales village - our library is tiny) I understand there is a service where you can order items to research etc..

I shall keep a note of this information and will go to the library and ask them how best I get this information to view etc.. because I am sure the stuff for this type research will be at a much larger city library.

Thank you so much for this - I am sure my research will move on and I shall get the answers I am looking for etc.. Very Happy
elizabeth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ed - it does look like what you pointed out could very well be a match for my family people.

I will try to get hold of the information John mentioned and try match data there - and keep this match in mind when researching as it is the best match I have spotted so far in my searching. (I never realised there were so many Phillips famillies around!!! - I thought it was an English name to be honest Embarassed )

I will ask at my local Libray if I can hire / view this data (thank you John) - I am sure I will need to order it from another library as my local town library is tiny (half a dozen bookshelves of books and a newspaper reading room) but they do a very good ordering in service etc.. to help with this sort of stuff.

It is the births, baptisms etc.. I need to find first of all to confirm marriages, births, etc.. but I am sure I am on the right tracks now with this.
Thankyou very much for your help Very Happy
Tracey Finn Evans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elizabeth. My family (Grandmother and Great Grand parents) are from Toobracken. In fact I was in the town of Ballaghaderren last summer. They are also called PHILLIPS. My grandmother was Maria Farrell who married a Patrick PHILLIPS date of marriage - february 1881. According to the 1911 census they had 10 children but only 8 surviving at this time. Childrens names and ages recorded as Thomas age25, Mary Kate age20, Martin age18. Winnie age16, Delia age14 and Agnes age10. I havent had the chance to read all your postings/responses - but won't it be nice if there is a connection. Toobracken is up in the hills. My Granny was Agens Phillips who married a James Finn from Bockagh Hill, which is not that far away. I probably have lots of info - not done the family tree for a while. But would gladly help you out.
Love Tracey Finn-Evans
elizabeth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Tracey,
I have sent you a PM - hoping to hear from you soon. Since beginning this thread here I have got some more information about my family. (Derrynabrock Phillips)
Within my research I am sure I came across members of your family and will have contacts to pass to you etc.. Toobracken people etc..

Looking forward to hearing from you soon Very Happy
Lizzy
Tracey Finn Evans

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hi Lizzy good to hear from you

I will email you. This is a fab web site for contacts etc.
Hopefully we can find a connection with the Phillips.
Jim Irvine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ELizabeth
I notice you live in North Wales. Have you tried the Mormon LDS libraries for all the info John Hunter sent you?

Probably the nearest to you will be near Chester
Aled House, Lakeside Business Village, Flintshire,
Phone: 01244 538356
Hours: M, Th 10am-3pm; T, F 10am-12.30pm

You should be able to order any of the relevant films there.

Jim
elizabeth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Thank you so much for your help with the research library info!!

As it happens one of my cousins has access to some of these - I am waiting to see what she finds first before making an order for myself to get any remaining information etc..

I shall keep this info ready for when I need to go library etc.. I am glad you knew this as North Wales has lots of small library buildings - I did think Mold was the place I'd have got this info or dshould I say I would have rang Mold asking about it ha ha so glad you gave me the right place!!! Very Happy
jmcp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Elizabeth,

Sorry I can't assist you with your Phillips family search, but I too am looking for a family member. The only info I have on my g-grandfather is that his name was Bernard Phillips, born in Ballaghadareen, Co Mayo c1843. I got this info from his death certificate (d 1918 in Victoria, Australia) which stated that he died at age 75 and had been in Australia for 65 years.

Have you come across a Bernard Phillips in your research? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: