Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Higgins Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clairediane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Higgins Roscommon Reply with quote

I'm looking for information on the family of my great grandfather, Martin Higgins. He was born in Roscommon in 1876, I believe the townland was Cloonfineen in the Kiltullagh parish.

His father was Thomas who married Mary Fox. I understand that he had 3 younger sisters - Kate, Bridget & Mary and an older brother Charlie born in c.1874 who was living with him in Manchester in 1901.
roger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire:

The 1901 census shows the following data for the Thomas Higgins family in Cloonfineen:

Cloonfineen Kiltullagh Castlerea Roscommon Household Higgins Thomas(54) farmer Mary(52)-Kate (18)-Bridget(16)-Maggie(14)

Roger McDonnell
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cloonfineen townland is in Kiltullagh Civil parish and Ballinlough Catholic parish (Tuam Diocese). It is in Castlereagh Registrar’s District and Castlereagh Poor Law Union.

For the location of Cloonfineen townland see
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/kiltullagh.html

For 1832 Tithe Applotment records for the townland see LDS Film 256654.

At Griffith’s Valuation of Cloonfineen townland in 1857, Martin Higgins occupied a house and 24 acres of land. See 1857 Griffith’s Valuation LDS Film 844989 Item 2.

For change of occupiers of land in Cloonfineen townland from 1857 – c1920 see LDS films 867964/5

LDS British Isles Vital records CD lists 2 April 1873 Civil birth registration of Patrick Higgins, father Thomas, and mother Mary Fox. Registered in Castlerea Registrar’s. District. LDS film 255880 will show further details including townland where born.

The locality listed in the Irish Civil Birth & Marriage Indexes available on FHL microfilm is the Superintendent Registrar's District or Poor Law Union.

Ballinlough (Tuam diocese) RC parish parochial records. LDS film Kiltullagh and Ballinlough (baptisms) 1839 - 1880, film 926226 (Restricted). 1821-1829 (m) 979699

John
Clairediane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies, I didn't expect so many so soon! I look forward to following up the information.

Claire
Martin Meehan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Higgins was (baptised) on the 06 Dec 1844 and was the child of Martin Higgins of the Townland of Meeltraun and Bridget Green. The Sponsor was Mary Green. The Civil marriage cert if it exists could prove this relationship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: