Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Mitchell family-Fuerty Parish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris, I have been to Roscommon twice and the first time I went to Athleague there was a little building that at one time was the Church of Ireland. I don't know if that would have been the church your ancestors attended or not.
I know that my cousin Willie Byrne was protestant and is buried in the churchyard in Roscommon.
One of my other distant relatives told me that he was buried in Kilmaine churchyard,Knochcroghery Roscommon which is probably the one referred to as the Roscommon Church of Ireland Churchyard.
I am not absolutely sure about that.
Patricia
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris, I am not really up on the ghosts of Castlestrange !!!
I am sure that mr White would know about that.
I have been on the grounds of Castlestrange and saw the Tenne stone there.
My mother played there as a child and it was thrilling to go and see where that was.
I also visited my grandfather's farm,the place where he and my grandmother were married and also the Fuerty cemetery where all my ancestors are buried.
You must go there it is like coming home Smile
Patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Patricia, how wonderful that you were able to visit there and see where your mother played as a child. Very Happy What a wonderful history your family has in that area. I hope someday to be able to travel to Ireland and especially there to Roscommon, Fuerty. I have some info that some of the Mitchells who lived at Castlestrange were attorneys, but that was in the early 1800s. What is the stone of Tenne? Thanks very much.

Doris
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.The Treacy and Moran families came to Castlestrange with the Mitchell's in the 1750's. As tradesmen (mill wrights) and book keepers they were involved with Athleague and Castlecoote Mills up to the 1900's.
2.Rev. Canon W. Bourke Wright, born Tipperary. Graduated from Trinity College with scholarship in classics in Durham, England.Minister of Athleague and Mount Talbot in 1871. Married Mary Mitchell of Castlestrange. He died 19th march, 1909 and is buried in Fuerty Cemetery. (He's not listed in the index to Fuerty graveyard ...catholic, naturally! Hope this is of some help.
Fiona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the third report of the Roscommon Union Agricultural Society: 1845. E5 One rood of Carrots. In this class there were two competitors- Capt. Mitchell, and Oliver Armstrong, esq. They had both remarkably fine crops. We adjudge the premium to Captain Mitchell, the skill of whoses steward in the growth of this crop, coupled with the favourable nature of the soil, renders him a formidable competitor to meet with.
He didn't do so well with his turnips!! they said they found Capt. Mitchells field of turnips beautifully cultivated but from the width of the drills, the produce was reduced below that of the other competitors!
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona, wow this all so interesting about the Mitchells, Morans, etc. I think my Mitchells were in Scotland up until about 1745 or so, that would fit with the story of them arriving there in 1750. My gggg-grandfather was born over there, about 1750, his name was John Mitchell, and I think his grandfather was Thomas Mitchell who was married to Mary Banner which I spoke of in an earlier post. Thanks so much again!!! Very Happy

Doris
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris...You were asking about the la Tenne stone...go to google and type in Castlestrange and you will get a lot of info and pictures of the la Tenne stone...hope you got the mail I sent you
Regards Patricia
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Patricia, yes I did get the mail and thanks so much!!!! Very Happy I didn't realize you were in Canada, I was thinking that you're in Ireland. I have written letters to Mr. White and the other man mentioned in your letter, I just need to get them sent off. I understand that there is a Mitchell "coat of arms" somewhere there at Castlestrange. That would really be interesting. By the way, what is a millwright? I know a wheelwright is one who makes wagons/wheels, so does a millwright make a mill, sorry to sound so ignorant.
Best regards,
\
Doris
John Patrick Gillooly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Mill-wright Reply with quote

Hello Doris,

Is that a guy who makes Millions? Wink Or a guy who makes Mills for grinding grain?

Cousin,

John Patrick
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris,according to websters dictionary a Millwright is someone who works in a saw mill and repairs machinery etc.
Go to Googlllllllllle and type in,what is a millwright.
So now you know where I live and not so far away as you thought.Just a neighbour in the frozen north. Laughing
Patricia
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John Patrick Giloolly,I love your sense of humour and enjoyed the rhyme about the cake.
Nothing like a good laugh between Irishmen.
Patricia
John Patrick Gillooly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: HUMOR Reply with quote

Hello Patricia,

I don't know where you are from but I have a friend in ENGLAND who spells humor the same as you. HUMOUR! And don't forget it was my friend GILHOOLYS cake!

Cousin.

John Patrick
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John...I was educated in England because that is where I grew up and thus the reason for my spelling of HUMOUR,but I live in Canada.
Apologies to Gilhooly for giving you credit for HIS cake.
Patricia Embarassed
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello out there, thanks for the humor on the "millwright" topic and yes I was referring to someone who works in a mill who I am sure wished that they had "made a mill." Very Happy Thanks for the definition Patricia and I am going to check up on that too. It does seem that quite a few of the Mitchells of Castlestrange were esq., is that an attorney or a sheriff? I now believe that Thomas Mitchell who married Mary Featherstone was the son of my Thomas Mitchell and Mary Banner. It was the son of Thomas the elder( John) who came to America prior to the Revolutionary War. So........... if there are any Mitchells over there in Ireland connected to this family I would glady pay for your DNA testing. It would need to be a male Mitchell directly descended from this line. Wishing everyone a good day, and thanks again. Very Happy
Patricia Dickson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Doris...Go to GOOGLE and type in WHAT IS ESQUIRE and up will come several definitions Very Happy
Patricia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: