Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Mitchell family-Fuerty Parish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D. Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patricia, I did some checking around and apparently the term esquire as it was used back then in the UK referred to the gentry "class". It was used for those above the title of Mr. which referred to a gentleman, and was used for those closer to the "class" of noblemen. Thanks again for all your help. Very Happy Attention to any Mitchells out there in the area of Castlestrange and Fuerty, please contact me. Very Happy

Doris
maggiemole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Fuerty graveyard index Reply with quote

Hi Fiona,
You make reference below to "the index to Fuerty graveyard". Is this a document I can get a copy of somewhere? I'm reluctant to go straight to Fr Leogue in Athleague as he feels his job is as Parish Priest and not assistant family history researcher, though if that's where I get it, I will. My mother's family are Rooneys and lived in the little cottage just opposite the church in Fuerty, and my GGF taught in the school next door for a generation. But I haven't been able to locate his grave.

2.Rev. Canon W. Bourke Wright, born Tipperary. Graduated from Trinity College with scholarship in classics in Durham, England.Minister of Athleague and Mount Talbot in 1871. Married Mary Mitchell of Castlestrange. He died 19th march, 1909 and is buried in Fuerty Cemetery. (He's not listed in the index to Fuerty graveyard ...catholic, naturally! Hope this is of some help.

I look forward to hearing from you.
many thanks!
Maggie
tonylarkin

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patricia Dickson wrote:
Hello,It would be very difficult to research the records back into the 1700s but if you go to the archives at this site you may be able to find correspondence that passed betwenn one of my cousins,Pat Byrne and a Doris Mitchell regarding the Mitchell family of Castlestrange. I would imagine they would have been protestant by faith.
If you cannot find the archived material of the correspondence I do have a copy of some of it.It was in the 2003 time frame.
My ancestors are the Byrne family from Farneykelly and they were related to a Veterinarian named Willie Byrne who lived at Castlestrange until his death in 1910.
He is burried in the Church Of Ireland churchyard in Roscommon.
Therefore we are not related but I do have a cousin living in Castlestrange .
Good Luck
Patricia

I am currently researching the ancestry of William Byrne. Do you know anything about his family? I know his father was Patrick and his mother was Anne Quinn.

I have two points of interest:
I have heard that he was supported by an uncle, Thomas Mulry, but think this may be mistaken - as far as I know his uncle was James. Do you know the relationship with the Mulrys? Any connection with an Eliza Byrne (b. 1847)?

Any connection to a Mary Byrne who married Patrick Flanagan (no birth dates but their son was born in 1854)?
maggiemole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Fuerty church Reply with quote

Lots of interesting items in this topic. I'd just like to add that the original church at Fuerty was (I think) a Catholic monastery with ancient links to St Cieran, which was taken over at the Suppression by the Church of Ireland. Both religions used the graveyard. The (CoI) church burned down and is left as a ruin, but the graveyard attached to it continues to be used, and I believe it is still used by any religion. The RC parish of Fuerty was united administratively with that of Athleague in 1881. There's a new church for Fuerty RC parish which is the Church of Our Lady Assumed (built 1957) along the Castlecoote road, replacing St Kieran's built 1812-1814, which is now a social centre. The new church does not have its own graveyard.
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1749 Census of Elphin Diocese is available worldwide on microfilm at major public libraries and LDS Family History Libraries - (LDS film number 101781) and the 2004 publication edited by Marie-Louise Legg “The Census of Elphin 1749” (Irish Manuscripts Commission. 2004. Pp. xlii, 597. €75.00). Unfortunately neither source has a surname index.
Pages 211, 213 and 215 of the 1749 Elphin Diocesan Census list families named Mitchell in Fuert parsh. LDS film 101781
Check your local library for the “Resource County Roscommon 2009 CD”. It has the Surname Index to the 1749 Elphin Census.

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/fuerty.html

Have you checked the 1825 Tithe Applotment book for Fuerty Civil parish. LDS film 256612.

Very recent book Clergy of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh dioceses published by the Ulster Historical Foundation, lists clergy in Fuetry parish from 1421 - 1865. Fuerty parish united with Dunamon parish in 1865.
John
John Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By chance I found the following Fuerty website.

http://geocities.com/fuertynews/fuerty.html

Worth a look.

John
Flanagan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To D. Mitchell - By chance, I saw your query of Apr '09 re Mitchell. I hail from Ballybride, next to Fuerty, Co. Roscommon. Thomas Mitchell was a weaver from Scotland who settled in Castle Strange and purchased lands from the Gunning estates in the 1790-1830 period.ln 1828-Edward Mitchell was a member of the Grand Jury of Co. Roscommon. He owned 4 Townlands in Fuerty. Members of the Mitchell family were advertising for sale leasehold property in the parish of Fuerty in March 1854. I don't have further details of Thomas, I suggest you look at the database in www.landedestates.ie for the Mitchell family etc. The Gunning family of Castle Coote in Fuerty parish was famous for the 2 beautiful Gunning sisters who took off to London high society, and took pleasure in 'living the dream' and married 2 Dukes, the Duke of Argyle and Duke of Hamilton. Best wishes for your search, Sean.

Sean Flanagan
9 Lakeview
Claregalway
Co. Galway
Ireland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: