Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Help on Books Roscommon- Castlerea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Help on Books Roscommon- Castlerea Reply with quote

Could anyone please help. I am looking for books on old Roscommon, Castlerea, Stories, life stories, workhouse etc.

has anyone any ideas

Thanks
efinn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on Books Roscommon- Castlerea Reply with quote

sez wrote:
Could anyone please help. I am looking for books on old Roscommon, Castlerea, Stories, life stories, workhouse etc.

has anyone any ideas

Thanks

Hi sez,

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I obtained a few books through a friend of mine in Dublin that were part of the Maynooth Studies in Local History. See the following URL: http://www.four-courts-press.ie/maynoothSeries.html
I found them to be very interesting reading. I have three of the books listed in the series on the provided website. My three deal specifically with Roscommon, and I see in the list at least a couple more that appear to be Roscommon related. The ones that I have are the following:
1. Roscommon before the famine
2. Politics and society in Athlone
3. Riotous Roscommon
As I was looking up the above URL, I see that Amazon.com comes up with many of the books in the Maynooth Series listed, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to obtain a copy of any in this series should you be interested.

Good Luck with your book quest.

----
Ed Finn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thamk you very much for the book reply. Will have a look

thanks again
Jackie Blanchard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Roscommon Before the Famine Reply with quote

You can order this book from Barnes & Noble at a cost of $14.50. Much cheaper than other places I've seen. I also enjoyed RIOUTOUS ROSCOMMON as mentioned by Ed. Finally, another interesting book on the area is Maire McDonnell-Garvey's MID-CONNNACTH. I picked it up in Ireland but you can probably find it on Amazon.

jackie[/i]
mairead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sez
I purchased a book about Old Roscommon Town a few years ago called Exploring Family Origns in Old Roscommon Town . Author: Noel Farrell Park Road Longford, written in 1998. I think I purchased it through Amazon. It includes roots of over 100 surrounding Townlands.
Sincerely Margaret
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: