Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Tibohine Parish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackie Blanchard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Tibohine Parish, Corcorans, Callaghans, Sharkeys, McDermotts Reply with quote

Peggy: Thank you for the information contained in your March 7 post. I've long been a member of this board and just signed on to put out a request for the very type of information you provided as I'm going back to Ireland (staying in Ballaghadereen) in May to do some additional research and walking/driving about in the very area you described. My primary family names are Callaghan and Sharkey. Both families intermarried with Corcorans and McDermotts, among others. Associated townlands are Lissacurkia, Lisduff, Cloonfad, Lisdrumneil, among others, within the RC parishes of Loughlynn and Fairymount. I've been to the old Fairymount Church and the attedant graveyard. I understand there may be both an old and a new Fairymount graveyard. Do you know anything about this? If you would like more information on the Corcorans in my tree, let me know. Thanks again! Jackie
efinn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peggy and Jackie,

It is so interesting to read both your posts where you mention all the family names and areas around Fairymount. Jackie and I have exchanged numerous emails over the years, but this is my first communication with Peggy. I also have connections or information regarding all the family names you both have mentioned in you posts. Mainly for Peggy, my direct connections are with Finns that have married into the Callaghan and Sharkey lines. My Finns lived on land that was situated in the townlands of Lisduff and Grallagh (adjacent townlands). Just a few short years ago I made contact with a distant cousin living in New York City and it turned out that her Finn ancestors also made their new home in Chicago. This information assisted me in filling in a large number of question marks that I had in my family tree. My direct ancestors made their new homes in New York City and New Jersey. My grandfather (icon picture with this post) and all of his brothers worked on a large local farm in New Jersey and one of the workers there was named Pat Corcoran. I recently found out (from another Lisduff resident) that Pat was also from Lisduff. I guess they tended to "band together" or search each other out when they arrived in the U.S.
The "other Lisduff resident" that I mention above was Philomena Regan who lived in a house in Lisduff that was directly across the street from the old Finn homestead. The Regans are a long established family in the area and presently own a large tractor sales establishment in Frenchpark.
Enough rambling on my part...just fun to exchange words with folks who are also very familiar with the same areas and families that I am researching.

Ed Finn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jackie Blanchard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to you as well, Ed! I haven't seen many postings on the board from you of late and figured you were taking a break. Since last we corresponded, I have added more Finn's to my database due to additional intermarriages with Sharkeys and Callaghans. I'll send some information along.It's hard to keep track of what possibly might be new to you but I can try and keep it manageable and you can take (or leave) it from there.

I find your note re information from Philomena Regan interesting. The Callaghan family I'm tracking from Lisdrumneil (right next door, I believe from Lisduff) also had Regans near by. From what I understand, one of the Regans looked after my great grandfather Cormack Callaghan of Lisdrumneil (his son John had married a Winifred Regan but they emigrated) just before he died and then bought Cormack's land. These Lisdrumneil Callaghans (who I know are linked to Lisduff Callaghans). Callaghans were in Lisdrumneil going back to at least 1794 when another "Cormac Callaghan & Company" (I love that "& Company") were leaseholders on this particular piece of the Dillon estate. I'm hoping to track down the plot (I know the house is long gone) when I go over in May. Anyway, enough of this. Sounds like you are well and thriving. Glad to hear it. Jackie
Jackie Blanchard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peggy--I understand you have moved to Waterford, Wisconsin. I know the area well! Anyway, when you have a chance, please get in touch as I believe I have additional information for you.

Jackie
(Corcorans, Sharkeys, Callaghans and others)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: