Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

Beirne of Kilmore Parish, County Roscommon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeannine Garrahan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Beirne of Kilmore Parish, County Roscommon Reply with quote

I recently received records from the valuation office showing there were still Beirne's in the townland of Rathevin in the 1980's. I sent a letter to John Beirne in Rathevin and it was returned to me marked "deceased". I also sent a letter to the Postmaster in Kilmore Parish seeking information on this family and it was returned to me. I do not see telephone listings in the immediate area for Beirne. Some of my Beirne and Burke ancestors from Rathevin emigrated to America in the 1850's and 1860's. Some died on the land in the famine (per loan reproduction records) and some remained in Ireland.

Is there anyone on the list in Ireland/America that has knowledge of these families. Many thanks.

Jeannine
North Carolina
John Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Beirne occupied land in Rathevin, Kilmore Civil parish, Aughrim Catholic parish at Griffith’s Valuation in 1858.
For Gritthth’s Valuation se LDS film 844992 Item 7 (1858)

Change of occupiers of land 1958 to 1920 see LDS film 867956.

Rathevin, Kilmore Civil parish is on Ordnance Survey Discovery series map 33, grid reference
978 932. The maps are readily available worldwide.

For Beirne at 1838 Tithe Applotment in Kilmore Civil parish see LDS film 256650 (1838).

There are numerous entries for Beirne in Kilmore Civil parish listed in the 1749 Census of Elphin Diocese.

The 1749 Census of Elphin Diocese is available worldwide on microfilm at major public libraries and LDS Family History Libraries - LDS film number 101781. and the 2004 publication edited by Marie-Louise Legg “The Census of Elphin 1749” (Irish Manuscripts Commission. 2004. Pp. xlii, 597. €75.00). Unfortunately neither source has a surname index.
For an index see the Resource County Roscommom 2009 CD at your library..

For a map of Aughrim RC parish visit http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/aughrimRC.html

The 1901 Census for Rathevin lists Beirne James(70) farmer Margaret(62)-Mary(33)-Michael(28)-Honoria(23)-Patrick(21) . See http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml

The full 1911 Census foe Ireland is free on line. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/about19011911census.html#whatcontain

It lists James, Margaret, Mary, Michael Patrick

The Irish telephone on line book www.eircomephonebook.ie list Beirne in Dangan townland, Kilmore. Dangan is very near Rathevin. Suggest you phone and ask who is the local historisn.

Suggest you do not pay a cent for Irish research until you know how the system works.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: