Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index Leitrim-Roscommon
Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Surname Search
Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index

The Leitrim Roscommon Surname List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: The Leitrim Roscommon Surname List Reply with quote

The Leitrim-Roscommon Surname list requires a considerable amount of upkeep and for that reason alone, I have been giving serious thought to bringing the surname list over to this Bulletin Board where the upkeep could be accomplished by the users themselves without any further action on my part.

There are a few questions that present themselves when I consider this action.....

1. Should I make the surname list a separte forum that is specifically meant for the posting of surname research and the associated surname data (surname, townland, parish, etc)

2. Should I keep it open as far as the posting format is concerned or would most researchers prefer to see the data in some type of organized format?

3. Should it be kept as a "surname only" type of posting, or would it be of value to include information regarding a specific family or family member?

One of the biggest benefits that can come from using the BB for this type of information is that each poster has the ability to go into their own profile (at the top of the page) and change their email address. This alone is a major incentive to moving into the BB forum area. All postings made by that researcher would immediately be associated with the new email address.

Please feel free to respond to any of the above questions or statements.

Ed Finn
L-R Site Administrator

Last edited by efinn on Sun May 03, 2009 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rkdoug2000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Surnames Reply with quote

Ed--I think a surname only forum would be a great idea. I also think it could include information on a ondividual with that surname or close connection to it. It would be great if it could filter out non-surname related posts.

Kathleen
dideyjohn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the surname file too
Kathy Clare

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think organised format would be good as it saves times "hunting" out the information. All a great idea and much appreciated. I need to update too!

Kathy
siobhanabu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Anyway you want to do it is fine with me. I appreciate all the work you put into the site.

Jeanne Connell
Russell Hudson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ed,

Many thanks for continuing to look for ways to improve and simplify your excellent website. My feelings are:
1. Make the surname list a subset of the existing forum rather than create a new entity.
2. An organised format is good for both the data provider and reader.
3. It would be nice to have provision for posting surnames as well as scope to add additional data on locations, specific families, time frames, etc.

Regards, Russell Hudson
efinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Leitrim-Roscommon Surname List Reply with quote

Just a short update for all of you researchers who may be following the progress of the new L-R surname list....

We presently have designed a functional input screen that will permit the researcher to enter their surname information in very much the same form that everyone is familiar with from the existing surname list database. We are now working on designing a edit screen that will permit the original poster to make changes to their surname entry. Once this routine is working and has been tested thoroughly, we will be adding the Surname List capability to this Bulletin Board. At that time we will shut down the old Surname List database.

More info as it becomes available.

Ed Finn
L-R Site Administrator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
efinn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: The new surname list is available for input! Reply with quote

We have been working on the new surname list continuously for the past two weeks, and we believe that it is now ready for input from the research community. If you should find any issues with the use of this new list, please contact me with your issue and I will do my best to resolve any problems that might present themselves during actual use.

Keep in mind that the surname database is running within the environment of the bulletin board, however there are certain functions that do not exist that you would normally find in the main bulletin board.
1. You cannot post a REPLY in the surname list forum. It is for surname listing only.
2. There are no cute little smilies to put in your surname posts.

However, you can edit and/or delete your own surname posting should you find that it might be required at some time in the future.

Have fun and I hope that the new list will turn out to be as much of an assist with your research as so many of you have indicated for the old list.

Ed Finn
David Leonard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Surname List Reply with quote

Ed, as a brand new member, I can only say a heartfelt thank you! This
is a marvelous help to me in researching blindly...before finding this. You
probably know what is best and what is workable. Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leitrim-Roscommon Forum Index -> Leitrim-Roscommon BB All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: